Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And you forgot the whole part about funding opened only for north America. It shows how they see/consider their fandom and explains lot of things aboutworld wide distribution..

• Like Like x 1
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I think had Unicron been closer to $300, we'd be having a much, much different discussion. Would it be 19 lbs and 27 inches tall? Perhaps not. But I think fans would have been equally impressed with a 24" Titan class with $150 worth of extra girth and functionality.

• Like Like x 6
  3. C16

C16 Space Nomad

I remember seeing 4-6 Metroplexes at Toys R Us on the shelf back in the day. There's no way they'd stock more than one Unicron on the floor, it takes up entirely way too much space. And only the backers are getting Unicron. If they have any left over for whatever reason, they'll probably sell them on their eBay account like they did with the Jabba barge that was also crowd funded. But it wasn't that many extra at all.

They can't mass produced them because they don't have an outlet to sell them at. Shelf space is valuable real estate for stores. And who would carry him? Probably only Walmart and Target.

There's 3,568 regular Walmarts in the US and 1,851 Targets in the US. That's 5,419 locations to sell Unicron at. I can imagine they wouldn't try to sell him at every location because it's such a large high priced item and not likely to sell at certain locations. Even if they shipped one to each store, it still doesn't meet the required 8,000 backers to make producing this viable, a number which still isn't mass production numbers.

Did Walmart and Target even carry Titans?

• Like Like x 4
  4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. Fans consistently bought $600.00 worth of collectibles from BotCon, every year. They weren't cheap, they saved. They knew they had 365 DAYS, not 6 weeks, to save up for that.

And limiting people to 5 per person prohibits stores like BBTS from getting more, so more can have it in time.

People WANT to fund this thing, they CAN'T. That's Hasbro's choice. So, let's say you're right and this is a make or break thing on Hasbro's end... Then they're doing it on purpose. They'll know this will fail, they know we'll complain, they'll use it as an excuse.

If that happens, then they're really terrible as people and companies go, considering we're so close to the 40th.

I don't think it's quite that evil, yet. Let's hope you're wrong. Really, really wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Im not sure, I've always ended up getting my Titans online or through a friend who likely got one at TRU.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    If Walmart and Target can pallet drop Barbie Dreamhouses during the holidays, they could possibly do the same for Unicrons. The problem lies in that he's a $575 + tax luxury item. I don't think I've ever seen a $575 anything besides TVs at Target.

• Like Like x 1
  7. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    technically that was true to start with but now takara are taking orders or going to be for their side of the world and other online retailers outside of the usa are able to get pre orders too so it's now open to a wider fanbase

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Don't worry, most of his transformation will get filmed off camera anyway while it's pointed out that it's an extremely important but also difficult step.

I don't know, Barbie's a whole different matter compared to Transformers or any "boy" toyline.

Plus, a $200 dream house probably requires more assembly which means smaller shelf presence

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    That'll be me. Not looking forward to it. I'll be 70 by the time its uploaded

• Like Like x 1
  10. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

I don't see how this applies here. MP 44 is $400+ and is clearly directed at adult collectors. The company will continue to make MP style figures and the prices aren't exactly going down.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That’s Takara, not hasbro. Hasbro is selling it as an import

• Like Like x 1
  12. toonbot

toonbot Well-Known Member

Hype just increased

Time to double down and now the neighbors lawn, recycle all the cans, sell off your chug collection.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

That's true but it's not like they are still selling Omega Supreme. The problem is hard because it really isn't a $500+ item, but due to the method they chose it has to be. They can blame the fans, but the method they chose was the real issue. This is also coming from someone who is planning on backing this item as well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Some of those gimmicks would have been nice but would have also added to the price point unnecessarily.
    Agreed.

People complained about BadCube's Sunsurge and Wardog being overly complex. And those where toys that weighed less than a pound. Can you imagine manipulating 19 pounds of plastic hinges, swivels and ball joints?

Plus they wanted to turn a grey bowling ball I to an orange robot. That's never going to be easy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Haha. Oh man. I couldn't imagine a 19 pound Badcube figure. I don't think it would even come with instructions. Just a 5"x5" square of paper with a sad emoji on it and "Good luck!" written in Chinese at the bottom.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Mugenlazlo

Mugenlazlo Well-Known Member

I knew he was going to be a shellformer.

17. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    My opinions are limited here since I'm not interested in backing this project (maybe if it was next year, but I just got married, can't justify the cost lol), but that transformation doesn't look too bad to me. I keep seeing people saying it's a "shellformer," and that's true, the shells don't do anything to form actual details of his robot mode. But it's not like many figures where there is one massive, continuous chunk on his back. The shell breaks up a considerable amount, and seems to lock in quite well. Some of the joints looked pretty loose here, but it's hard to judge that given prototype tolerances are often shoddy.

Personally, I don't mind it when there is obvious kibble- they are transformers, and I like seeing such kibble integrated. (Hence why I think TFTM-DOTM Bumblebee is far superior to the AOE design, for example) I definitely think more could have been done here, but I don't mind nor think it looks bad. Though I can't really say that transformation looks too thrilling, it's about what I expected, I do wonder how much of a bitch it will be to reverse transform him.

Again, for what it's worth, considering I'm not buying this guy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    No. Look at the official pictures. You can see how thin his ankle joints are.

"It's science!"
    Not an argument.
    Also not funny. I like this one better. TF Unicron Perfection.jpg

His torso armor and boots are curved surfaces.

Your point about economies of scale are correct. Your point about mass production is incorrect; this is still mass production.
    "Mass production is a diverse field, but it can generally be contrasted with craft production or distributed manufacturing."

• Like Like x 6
  19. Uncharismatic Bore

Uncharismatic Bore JAFO

I'm hoping EmGo removes Unicron's planet ring, chucks the big SOB on his table, and states:

It rolls, as rolling things should!

• Like Like x 10
  20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Thing is, everyone knows who Barbie is. If your kid likes Barbie, a Dreamhouse is a no brainer big gift. Not every kid and young fan knows about Unicron. Plus, a Barbie Dreamhouse is probably much cheaper to manufacture.

It's not retail numbers mass production. Which is why it's not retail priced. That's my point. People are saying things like "$600 is price gouging" because they're using retail releases and pricing to draw comparisons.

These numbers are similar to what they made Botcon figures and those weren't mass produced either.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1