Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The negativity is cause of the Zeta Unicron announcement, high price of Haslab Unicron, Crowdfunding idea, Kibble/Backpack instead of Partsforming, & other things.
    You can't please everyone you know.

The team is changed from Kenner/Hasbro & Star Wars Designers to Hasbro & Takara-Tomy Designers, at least that's what I remember from the Barge Announcement video.

2. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fair, that makes sense. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  3. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    An earlier post of mine has an example of this:
    So what you said is accurate, but you've overlooked the aspect I just described.

From reading, it's looks to actually be Takara at the R&D helm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is pretty standard. All the engineering geniuses are over on that side of the pond. On Hasbro's side, they're mostly in charge of the mainline direction and concept art, as well as the multimedia angle.

• Like Like x 3
  5. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    You know, re: this being a one-and-done toy... consider how big/numerous the steel molds for Unicron are going to be.

Costs a LOT of money to store those. And if they ditch the molds, that all but guarantees one-and-done given the cost to make them.

• Like Like x 4
  6. CannibalChow

News Credits:
    I do wonder what they did with the Sail Barge molds if they are being kept in a vault or storage kind of deal.

7. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has been this way for years and it is further backed up by a recent interview with John Warden and Lynsey Bernier.

There are many bits of information about how HasTak actually operates, much of which comes from the interviews with TakaraTomy designers and design team leads. TFW2005 has been reporting on these interviews for years and yet it seems like every day someone on the forums routinely asserts exactly the opposite of what TakaraTomy's designers have been saying for years, as well as what Hasbro current and ex employees like Aaron Archer have been sharing openly at con panels and interviews.

The idea that Hasbro and TakaraTomy use different factories to create different "quality" products is a long running myth, for example. TakaraTomy literally is in charge of checking with Hasbro on which molds to keep and which molds to dispose of. Hasbro doesn't have their own molds or run their own separate line of toy production from all indicators(toy designers, design leads, etc. from both Hasbro and TakaraTomy).

• Like Like x 2
  8. edwardelric880

edwardelric880 Well-Known Member

Damn we lost like 16 backers. Back down to 2,074 now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I'm betting a lot of those are the pending charges not going through after someone signed up and payment method was declined. Number goes up initially as order is entered and approval is sent, then number is adjusted when approvals fail.

• Like Like x 4
  10. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

I heard a theory about some of these deleted backers being people who backed it from other countries but found better options like the recent European website that is carrying it. ‍♂️

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

Some could be going through Big Bad Toy Store so they don't need to pay upfront.

• Like Like x 2
  12. vproject

vproject Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Update: The hobby store confirmed the payment plan. You pay $100 upfront by August 20 and you still have until DECEMBER 2020 to pay them the full amount. That's 16 months that is given to you to save up to pay for Unicron. Now, I'm sorely tempted to go and put in an order.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Destroying the molds when they're done with them is the smart move. They don't plan on ever reissuing this, why pay all those storage costs to keep something they'll never use again?

I suspect a lot of people are going through BBTS and others. It would not surprise me to learn that Unicron is effectively funded right now, with all the orders being taken from alternate sources that won't be added until the last day.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And y'know, risk having them get stolen by KO companies and such.

Destroying/losing the molds is not as big a deal as it used to be, since they have CAD backups now.

• Like Like x 3
  15. CannibalChow

News Credits:
    The digital backup is helping in a lot of ways in many areas from films to games to figures such as these. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  16. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Plans change.
    They could be potentially trashing a revenue stream by doing it.

Not to mention that Hasbro/Takara has molds going back to the 80s. Why do some folks think this would be tossed?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Things change the people making such statements now may not be the ones making any decisions in 5 years time and if the mould is made and it will cost several Million Dollars to make - they will want to recoup that more than usual Unicron is a slightly more franchise important character than a Sail Barge is too so they can justify reissues - the Armada one has been reissued and slightly re-tooled multiple times too.

I'm not bothered. if it does get made - I can see it getting re-released for the 40th Anniversary of the Franchise in 2024 or of the movie in 2026 or for the 50th Anniversary of the brand in 2034.

If that seems like a long way off then remember this - Big Convoy was re-released 20 years later. And Walmart shelves are stocking reissues of 1984 toys right now.

But regardless if I am triggering some people's FOMO by saying this I really am not going to pay for something 16 months in advance - my mind just doesn't work that way to allow me to do that especially for a spend over any reasonable amount i'd be prepared to loose - which Unicron is well past.

I agree that is seems unlikely to meet the goal - Maybe it might manage 5,000 or maybe if they'd allowed people to pay in installments once a quarter or something. but it just seems even with it being a global promotion the price is so hefty and the number is just a bit on the high side.

If they'd be charging 350 I think they might have had a good chance of not only getting it through - but of being able to sell a ton of repaint in future years too.

They might have been better off crowd funding a Metro Titan or something instead as a test. with the basics being a straight repaint and the stretch goals being including the key accessories too.

Grand Maximus didn't manage to reach his stretch goal either - also speaking of Grand he's often on sale for half price these days.. as people didn't seem to want to pay a premium for him.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CannibalChow

News Credits:
    People really don't like those Early 2017 Unicron renders from Arturo Milomir over in the Zeta Unicron thread haha.

19. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    36wovw.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  20. CannibalChow

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1