Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

In today's toy climate I don't think that something this size is viable to sell in mainline retail. Due to that fact, they aren't going to produce this thing in mass with that risk to them.

• Like Like x 5
  2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually have the money to back this, but darn that release date is so far away. 2021??

• Like Like x 2
  3. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1

News Credits:
    Flickr:

yeah, besides Amazon, I doubt any retailer, much less a brick-and-mortar one would want to devote space to this

• Like Like x 2
  4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, in the traditional retail model, the manufacturer already has their money lined up, because it's the retailers that are buying, and the onus is on them to actually move the individual units.

HasTak don't have that luxury this time around.

• Like Like x 2
  5. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

You’re looking at it entirely wrong. The daily average for the Barge after it hit the initial 2000 backers was only 66 per day for the last 28 days, then it received over 4000 backers in the last 6 days alone. That daily average isn’t what will get it over, based on past precedent, because the Barge doesn’t hit 8800 backers if you just look at its daily average between the initial surge and the final surge. You have to also factor in both those surges.

Right now Unicron is performing at about 4% behind the Barge. If it continues upon that course and gets the same surge in the last week, even if that surge is 4% less, Unicron will get over 8,000 backers.

But, as you say, if Unicron starts to soften out at about 50 per day, that puts it in significant trouble. As of now, the magic percentage compared to the Barge us 10%. If Unicron performs at 10% the Barge on daily backers and the last week surge, it will fall under 8,000 backers. Based on the Barges’s 66 per day average, that means Unicron needs to average about 60 per day to stay just under 10% to keep the Barges pace. 50 per day would put it far behind the Barge and require a bigger surge in the last week than the Barge received.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I’ll just reiterate what others have directly or indirectly have said: Hasbro has the cash to make this now, they just need to have a guaranteed number of buyers to make this a money making venture.

Hasbro is not some random dude in a garage making some thing but they are also not going to run the risk making something that not enough people want. Crowdfunding is ALSO supposed to gauge interest and sometimes there’s not enough interest.

It’s a billion times better Hasbro fail in the crowdfunding stage then have thousands of $300 Cookie Monsters getting sold at $50 a pop because they overestimated interest.

And yeah, it’ll arrive in 2021 because Hasbro is run by grownups that understand (a) realistic time tables and (b) cutting corners, over promising and rushing stuff are recipes for disaster.

Something tells me that if this succeeds, and I think it will, we won’t get “unexpected problems” like other crowdfunding projects. I’m sure we all can name at least one crowdfunding clusters—k (big or little).

I mean, ya want realistic goals (not as glamorous) or unrealistic goals with lots of disappointments?

• Like Like x 7
  7. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Star Wars has a bigger fan base. But that barge would mostly have appealed just to the 6" Black Series collectors, right? If I'm not mistaken, that's what it was scaled to. Not even the vintage 3 3/4" Star Wars toys.

Unicron on the other hand, since scale is thrown out of the window, has the potential to appeal to every single Transformers toy collector. I feel like that has the potential to be a bigger market than 6" Black Series collectors.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dragologer

dragologer "Such heroic nonsense"

The sail barge was to the 3 3/4" scale. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Heh, then I stand corrected ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

So far, 2,058 backers. I hope this succeeds.

What happens if this falls just short of the goal, say 7,600? The whole project gets scrapped and everyone's refunded? I'm not sure of the details of the agreement.

• Like Like x 2
  11. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking about this. How about two non-transforming legends sized figures of Arblus and Kranix?

• Like Like x 2
  12. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    my god, if the Barge was scaled to 6" figures it would be as long as a limousine

• Like Like x 2
  13. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

Someone in a Facebook group claiming to work for Hasbro was saying Takaras Japanese buy in numbers wouldn’t be added until the final day of the crowd-fund. I was going to screenshot it but it’s gone-deleted.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that would make sense, to not add up all the numbers till close to the final day or else takara has to report every time someone backs out or adds an order, better to wait for their final tally

• Like Like x 1
  15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the project is within a hair's breadth of being funded, I highly suspect Hasbro would just suck it up and go ahead anyways. Surplus units can just be added to whatever they may have allocated for the international eBay sale (or whatever method they have lined up this time around for international support) following the crowdfund campaign. It's not like they wouldn't be able to sell those units, it's just that they wouldn't have the insurance on them.

Cancelling the campaign at that point would be just throwing out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak.

Hard to say, though, without precedent.

• Like Like x 3
  16. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They could always add a baseplate of Cybertron for him to stand on or maybe a model of Lithone or a miniature of Galvatron's ship.

• Like Like x 2
  17. funkified

funkified Well-Known Member

Just another way to create suspense, at our expense! We will not truly know if this gets back until the last day. Unless a huge surge pushes it over on the US/Canada side prior to that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

You forgot one itsy bitsy detail:

Transforners’ fan base is puny compared to freaking Star Wars; especially the collector’s market

• Like Like x 2
  19. Blackarachnia1996

Blackarachnia1996 Goddess of Chaos

When will HasLab charge our cards exactly (if he reaches their goal)? Upon checkout, September 1st, or when he ships?

• Like Like x 1
  20. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On checkout but it won't take the money out I've heard until August 31st.

• Like Like x 1