Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. speed12sil

speed12sil Well-Known Member

As long as there are enough people who can pony up 600 right now to make up for the ~6k people, vs those that can't this is a non-issue. Since the crowdfund can now be accessed by collectors in Japan, the goal might be reached afterall.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

I don\'t/can\'t see how a 3p company would be able to put something out for less. If you look at the Zeta combiner\'s at 22 inches, for a cost of $380-$420(Depending how you buy them), I can\'t see them having a figure twice as tall for anywhere near $600.

• Like Like x 2
  3. speed12sil

speed12sil Well-Known Member

Unless it's a KO I don't see how a 3P can make it cheaper at all. Some ppl have unrealistic expectation.

• Like Like x 5
  4. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

If it were KOd, very few etailers would carry it and I don’t know the answer to this but I have a hard time seeing anything that big getting past customs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The crowdfunds that are successful right off the bat are typically the ones with a low minimum buy-in. For non-manufactured goods, like videogames, you can often support the project for as little as $20. Crowdfunding for content creators (like the recently massively successful campaign by the Critical Role crew) may not even require a minimum buy-in, since you're not necessarily receiving any physical merch. The low entry barrier means that you can often get hordes of people to support on a whim.

A high buy-in project takes much more time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:

They also run the risk of a lot of the initial backers suddenly changing their mind and getting cold feet and bowing out if the campaign goes too long. The fact of the matter is the more on the spot you place the buyer, the more likely they are to make that big purchase.

Plus I get the impression that some people think Hasbro should extend this out so that it will still be available when those people are "ready to buy it" in like a year or something. That's not how any of this works here. Those people need to understand that this isn't a regular preorder where the company is making a bunch of these and you're just reserving your copy. This is crowdfunding: The backers are literally giving Hasbro money right now (or August 31st at least) to put this guy through actual production, and Hasbro is going to need that money ASAP. If Hasbro wants this out by their planned release in 2021 or whenever, the wheels really have to start turning on that production as soon as the crowdfunding ends.

Also I really don't know how anyone could be so deluded to believe that a smaller 3P company doing an even smaller run of Unicrons is somehow going to bring it in at less than $600. I mean could someone do it better? Maybe, yeah, I can see it. But do it cheaper? Uhhh, no.

• Like Like x 6
  7. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They really need to unveil some sweet extras as the campaign progresses. The barge had Yakface. Where is our bonus?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Superhans

Superhans Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, yes, that is how crowdfunding generally works. However, this isn’t an amateur inventor cooking up something in his garage. It’s a public company with cash reserves and a credit facility. Hasbro doesn’t “need” that money. It’s simply choosing to transfer the business risk from itself to its customers.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Well, it's not really "risk", since it costs us nothing if it fails. But yes, the move helps insulate Hasbro from shareholder backlash.

• Like Like x 6
  10. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Of course Hasbro has money, but this kind of thing is above and beyond the usual risk, so when the big wigs say they ain't risking a million plus on making this unless they get insurances and those funds up front, then Warden and HasLab certainly do need that money.

People frankly are used to the usual model of TakaraTomy showing off stuff like MP-44 and passing on it without worry because whether it gets only 1 or 10,000 preorders MP-44 still gets made. If enough people pass on Unicron, there is not going to be a "it still gets made" option this time. (And I don't know about you, but I'm not looking forward to having to sift through all of the "Why didn't they just make it? ...no, I didn't back it, why should that matter?" posts).

• Like Like x 6
  11. jwarenec1

jwarenec1 Well-Known Member

In today's toy climate I don't think that something this size is viable to sell in mainline retail. Due to that fact, they aren't going to produce this thing in mass with that risk to them.

• Like Like x 5
  12. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually have the money to back this, but darn that release date is so far away. 2021??

• Like Like x 2
  13. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1

News Credits:
    Flickr:

yeah, besides Amazon, I doubt any retailer, much less a brick-and-mortar one would want to devote space to this

• Like Like x 2
  14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Yeah, in the traditional retail model, the manufacturer already has their money lined up, because it's the retailers that are buying, and the onus is on them to actually move the individual units.

HasTak don't have that luxury this time around.

• Like Like x 2
  15. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

You’re looking at it entirely wrong. The daily average for the Barge after it hit the initial 2000 backers was only 66 per day for the last 28 days, then it received over 4000 backers in the last 6 days alone. That daily average isn’t what will get it over, based on past precedent, because the Barge doesn’t hit 8800 backers if you just look at its daily average between the initial surge and the final surge. You have to also factor in both those surges.

Right now Unicron is performing at about 4% behind the Barge. If it continues upon that course and gets the same surge in the last week, even if that surge is 4% less, Unicron will get over 8,000 backers.

But, as you say, if Unicron starts to soften out at about 50 per day, that puts it in significant trouble. As of now, the magic percentage compared to the Barge us 10%. If Unicron performs at 10% the Barge on daily backers and the last week surge, it will fall under 8,000 backers. Based on the Barges’s 66 per day average, that means Unicron needs to average about 60 per day to stay just under 10% to keep the Barges pace. 50 per day would put it far behind the Barge and require a bigger surge in the last week than the Barge received.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I’ll just reiterate what others have directly or indirectly have said: Hasbro has the cash to make this now, they just need to have a guaranteed number of buyers to make this a money making venture.

Hasbro is not some random dude in a garage making some thing but they are also not going to run the risk making something that not enough people want. Crowdfunding is ALSO supposed to gauge interest and sometimes there’s not enough interest.

It’s a billion times better Hasbro fail in the crowdfunding stage then have thousands of $300 Cookie Monsters getting sold at $50 a pop because they overestimated interest.

And yeah, it’ll arrive in 2021 because Hasbro is run by grownups that understand (a) realistic time tables and (b) cutting corners, over promising and rushing stuff are recipes for disaster.

Something tells me that if this succeeds, and I think it will, we won’t get “unexpected problems” like other crowdfunding projects. I’m sure we all can name at least one crowdfunding clusters—k (big or little).

I mean, ya want realistic goals (not as glamorous) or unrealistic goals with lots of disappointments?

• Like Like x 7
  17. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Star Wars has a bigger fan base. But that barge would mostly have appealed just to the 6" Black Series collectors, right? If I'm not mistaken, that's what it was scaled to. Not even the vintage 3 3/4" Star Wars toys.

Unicron on the other hand, since scale is thrown out of the window, has the potential to appeal to every single Transformers toy collector. I feel like that has the potential to be a bigger market than 6" Black Series collectors.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dragologer

dragologer "Such heroic nonsense"

The sail barge was to the 3 3/4" scale. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Heh, then I stand corrected ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

So far, 2,058 backers. I hope this succeeds.

What happens if this falls just short of the goal, say 7,600? The whole project gets scrapped and everyone's refunded? I'm not sure of the details of the agreement.

• Like Like x 2