Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have always said that it was a shame that DNA never dropped some new articulated hands for this big fella. i am sure they would have been one of the most successful releases ever.

also at the same time i always wanted a set of articulated wings. it could be a whole new set built from scratch similar to the zetacron.

or someone could just bang out some new joints for the connection port of the normal wings. that could cantilever up or out the side kind of like a little desk lamp.

small little molded led fillers for the wings would be amazing as well. it could even be something that was prewired into a new set of replacement articulated wings. then we could kill 2 birds with one stone. that way we can stop wrapping little lights around the wings.

i am sure i can think of other shit but those are kind of my top 3.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised DNA did nothing for Unicron. Hands, faceplates, slugs, custom effect parts, (snap on maw?) I'm glad they did a set for Victory Saber

• Like Like x 1
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have to look at it from an estimated returns point of view. For every buyer of a toy, there's only a small percentage of fans willing to go in on an upgrade kit as well. Unicron had a relatively low buy-in due to its cost, so you're sitting at a bad crossover point where low demand equals higher production costs equals even lower demand for your product, and it all just scales badly.

4. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh they made a dedicated set for Titan Cybertron Metroplex. I feel a Unicron hand kit with some add-ons would have cost the same and had a bigger buyer impact.

5. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The Titans are still retail toys. There's way more of them out there on the market than there were Unicrons.

On top of that, Unicron didn't really need any upgrades outside of super nitpicky things.

• Like Like x 5
  6. msol

msol Well-Known Member

Yeah I have one eye-light that doesn’t turn on. Annoying.

The maw-light is a game changer, though. Really helps with the colors. One day I’ll apply the toyhax maw set I picked up.

Have they made more than one toyhax set?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snakeguy

Snakeguy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They did 3., Aside from the mouth set there was one for the bot head plus abs and one for the rings and planet pincers

8. imest

imest Well-Known Member

I picked up the maw set from toyhax but was waiting for another option. Doesn't seem like another option is going to happen, guess it's time to see about applying them.

9. Jesse guerra

Jesse guerra Godjinrai

News Credits:
    You could see if someone can print you a maw cover 20230815_164049.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  10. Lord of Lard

Lord of Lard Hydrogenated TFW2005 Supporter

I'm waiting on them to do an IDW Unicron, likely dreaming, but still holding out:)  not sure anyone is brave enough to make it happen and on a haslab scale.

11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This thread feels like it should be moved to the Toy section. There's really nothing newsworthy going on with Haslab Unicron and probably never will be again.

• Like Like x 4
  12. firmpulse

firmpulse milliradian practitioner

I think I've decided to disassemble and paint mine. Krylon 2X Montana Gold is almost perfect. That's what I used on the maw you printed for me. But I lost a tab on it because it's so damn thin.

• Like Like x 4
  13. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn't the whole point it's not yellow in the first place is that it's 'unpaintable' plastic? You might end up ruining it permanently if it doesn't take...

• Like Like x 1
  14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    No, that part of the maw is ABS. It's just that it got constructed as a single piece as the whole grey-blue square surrounding the maw, and the deco artists didn't think it was such a big deal to leave it unpainted.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    "Unpaintable" plastic, or nylon, is only unpaintable in the sense that toy manufacturers are unable to paint it.

The kind of paints used by the toy industry don't adhere to nylon.
    Hobby paints, which are formulated differently to industrial paints, adhere to nylon without any trouble.

~L~

• Like Like x 2
  16. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought I remembered them saying that it was nylon, but didn't realise the differences.

• Like Like x 1
  17. firmpulse

firmpulse milliradian practitioner

To add to what the other guys have said materials such as nylon and pvc will accept primer quite well. Lacquer and enamel can be problematic with those material and may not want to dry. But if you prime them first, you're golden. After 3 LIGHT coats of paint apply 3 light coats of top. Rock n roll.

Trust me, sir. I most definitely will not ruin it. I've put it off so long because I have the Maw veneer Jesse printed up. But I broke a tab. :( 

EDIT: I clicked your Avatar. I did not regret it. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

It is absolutely not nylon or some other unpaintable plastic. Maybe the gears for the teeth, but not the larger panels. The same type of parts are painted on the rear and the sides of the planet. I'm still convinced it was a factory screw-up and Hasbro will not admit it. Because if they admit that, they will need to fix all the Unicrons out there.

Also, many people have already painted their maw with no issues I've ever heard of. Here's a tutorial:

• Like Like x 5
  19. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    It was definitely an intentional choice by the Hasbro team and not a factory error because it’s present in the third (?) production video that they published long before things went to the factory. As you say, probably something to do with not wanting it to get scratched.

• Like Like x 2
  20. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    outside of the maw or any other upgrades that are complicated to produce. what we really could use are some orange gears. that would help immensely for those who went the toyhax or paint routes.

hell even a guy here in the states who has a home brew injection kit could make them if they so please.

this of all things should have been tackled by now. i feel like it is a no brainer.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.