Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. OrionPaximus

OrionPaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is their lack of being forthright with the consumer during the entire process, because of internal company policies. The overall Deco/Plastic layout was approved and shown off to the public during the campaign. Again they presented this as an item that didn’t appear to be constrained by as much retail limitations.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I pledged through a friend in the US, since Hasbro doesn't really care for anyone outside of the US it seems, and I'm pretty disappointed about the maw. It was already kinda unfinished looking on the pre-production posts with it being just cast in yellow without highlights. But to then go and make it look half assed like this is kinda upsetting. I was happy with the pre-production photos, so seeing it like this is pretty, well shitty.
    I don't care about the stupid Galvatron and Rodimus figurines, those would never have left the packaging at my place, but the most prominent piece of the alt-mode the thing they pointed extra attention to during the campaign to look this bad when it's finally out? That's a bummer.

That coupled with the hoops I had to jump through to get this figure, will likely mean I won't ever do this again. It was cool in the beginning seeing how they listnedd to feedback and changed the hands, included the better face and then threw in the ships and the silly mini figures, but really, the maw was kinda the centrepoint of this. They had a whole thing going of how accurate and impressive it was.
    So seriously, don't think I'll ever pledge with Pulse again, it's too much hassle, too expensive and the end product is well, not what you payed for.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Magusreaver

Magusreaver Lucretia, my reflection, dance the ghost with me

It's not to score any points with a corporation. Some of us just really want to enjoy the figure we are getting, and talk about it. See cool pics, and talk possibility for upgrades ect. Instead we just get one hell of a bummer ride from people that don't like stylistic choices of like 2% of the overall figure. TF fans are so toxic, we spend all of our time watching reviewers nitpick figures to death.. then every single release the reddit or mssgboards light up with 39023902 reasons why it sucks. It's a shell, it's too complicated, it's too simple.. it's too g1, it's not g1..it's a girl, it isn't a girl.. it was touched by the hand of michael bay. it is too stiff, it's too loose, it fell over and killed my cat. Sheesh.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t know, I’ve tried to strike a balance between my enthusiasm for the figure but also disappointment at the deco change. I think most people have been able to do so in this thread. One doesn’t have to be exclusive of the other. And I’d say that in planet mode the maw accounts for about 10-15%, which is pretty high.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  5. Magusreaver

I kinda want a pink headed Vader now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dustbuster

dustbuster Well-Known Member

So, basically, it's challenging to be able to handle other people's sadness, while experiencing your own joy?

I get that you want to be happy about all this, in the midst of all this. AND YOU CAN!

...But that doesn't automatically mean that it's wrong for other people to be unhappy.

Welcome to the world of empathy/sympathy. It's a sacrifice that can be chosen to be undertaken, for the betterment of everybody. A rising tide lifts all ships.

I'm mostly okay with the way Unicron is turning out. I want my friends to have that same peace. Or at least as much as is feasible under the circumstances.

But the answer isn't to berate them for not feeling exactly the way I do. When has that ever made anybody feel better about anything?

We all have different priorities in what's most important to us regarding a HUGE investment.

My friends who are disappointed about Unicron, not a one has expressed a desire for me to be unhappy about what I'm getting. They're happy for me. They are just also hoping for some more happiness for themselves, too. No desire to bring me down at all.

We have an opportunity to support and encourage them, and possibly even rally together to see whether it's possible to get them some relief from Hasbro.

Maybe it will succeed. Maybe it won't. But I know I feel a lot happier when, in seeing all this disappointment and frustration, knowing I am doing what I can to lift people up, rather than tearing them down. These people will feel loved.

And that will make this thread the happier thread that you seek.

Tearing people down just prolongs and deepens the negativity. If all you really want is a happier thread, unless you're a mod that's just going to delete everything you don't want to see, you're actually working against your own self-interests.

If you don't want toxicity, you can start by showing some love and compassion towards your fellow fans. I promise you, the exercise will not return empty in your heart!

Love you, brother!

• Like Like x 16
  7. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    Just to add.
    The maw wouldn't have been such a big issue for me, if this were just a retail figure and cheaper. I have long accepted that retail figures are under budget constraints and won't be perfect. The difference is though that there we get to see the final product before we pay and they're generally cheaper.

This one however, was sold to us in advance with promises that the reason they're doing this is that this way allowed them to go all out and make the best they could hope for, with no budget constraints or retailer concerns.

They tell us that if we don't pledge and buy it now, it will never be made, and that this is the only way to get it, while limiting it to a single market. Causing FOMO for everyone else and try to get their hands on it some other way.

They told us that what we saw was what we would get, it being the final colour layout, but that they would listen to feedback and improve upon it where possible.

Then this happens.

The maw, the most iconic part of his planet mode, the thing they talked about wanting to get perfect and right.

And again, I wouldn't really care, if this figure was a normal retail figure and easier to come bye. But I had to pay it up front, give my friend a little extra for the trouble and will have to pay shipping from the US plus customs. This will easily come out double the actual price. Which would have hurt if this was the way it was advertised, but it's not, because Hasbro decided that they had to cheap out or not care after making us jump through hoops.

Do I still like him? Hell yeah. It's just kinda shitty that they cheaped out on the most prominent and coolest aspect. I mean one of my complaints about Studio Cell was that the maw looked off, hell that looks freaking amazing compared to this now.

• Like Like x 11
  8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who said that?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure some stickers will show up to stick some more orange in that hole.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Maybe they haven't received as many e-mails and complaints as people think?

• Like Like x 6
  11. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    It was part of the pitch. They chose this crowdfunding route so they wouldn't be affected by retail budget constraints. And I don't see how a yellow/ orange maw or painted teeth would break any budget on an expensive premium figure.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Magusreaver

I can sympathize with not liking the stylistic choice, but to try to turn other fans into an army to complain on your behalf is a little much. Or people calling it an anus ect.. Seriously? So much anger for a something most don't even have in hand yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scott_XIII

News Credits:
    They fucked up the colour - better pack back it up and sell it on at 50% off(the colours wrong and it's now 2nd hand/used) . Be rid of this burden.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scott_XIII

News Credits:
    Yes fight the power - give us screen accuracy -
    WE WANT RED TEETH!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Zoidstar85

Zoidstar85 Take it!

Just putting my two cents in... I sent an email, and tried to be as civil as possible... flaws aside, there was still quite a bit of work that went into it which I still respect... Typically changes like that come from higher up execs. While I’m not happy with the flaws and this does diminish the figure for me, unless it shows up smashed to bits, it’ll still be a centerpiece in my collection. I probably won’t be ordering from Pulse any more...

While we’re talking about third party add-on parts... I would like to request more ships, like Galvatron’s ship, some Cyclonus and Scourge/Sweeps ship modes (I wouldn’t mind if they were out of scale), and some extra plastic stands like the one for the Ark so I can have Galvatron’s armada circling around Unicron. Oh, and a mini planet Lithone with a plastic yellow cone piece that fits into the maw would be awesome, and a piece with some cables to plug into the bottom of Unicrons disembodied head.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    I think a more accurate way of putting it is this was sold to us for a locked-in price outside the usual retail price points and we interpreted that price as being all-inclusive to produce the toy as advertised.

I know I expected that if the price was set at AU$848 then that's what Hasbro determined to be a fair price allowing for research and development costs, manufacturing cost, shipping and expectation of profit per unit sold.
    I did not think that I would pay Hasbro's locked-in price and then learn a year and a half later that Hasbro would choose to omit painted details to lower manufacturing costs.

And why would we think that? We are promised "premium detail and deco" on the website, not "most of what you see here, but of course it goes without saying that some paint applications will be omitted for budgetary reasons. Probably the ones on the hands and face, because those are the most prominent focal points."

In the worst possible case, if Hasbro knew that a little more paint on the most prominent features would cost the consumer a little more then why not charge a little more from the outset?
    When retailers aren't setting the price point for you the price can be whatever you determine to be fair while remaining profitable.

~L~

• Like Like x 5
  17. Magusreaver

I've decided i'm going to spend this week trying to design and 3d print the quintesson ship, and maybe a moon base for him to hold in his hand.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    That sounds really cool! I hope you'll post photos of what you design.

~L~

• Like Like x 5
  19. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

A question for people who have Unicron: is it possible to have him hold a figure between his teeth in planet mode, like he was devouring it? Could make for a cool display option.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

That wouldn't take Hasbro being run by wizards. Your comment doesn't make any sense. Budget and time constraints are a completely arbitrary decision that Hasbro literally makes for every figure they make. Time constraints are even more arbitrary than budget, the budget at least has a slightly more practical reason for existing. I say slightly because big companies have a lot of money to work with and still be able to make a profit but for some reason often set budgets WAY BELOW what they actually need to. Like they could set the budget twice as high and still make money. Of course there will be a point where they actually wouldn't be able to afford anything anymore but they're never going to hit that point.

The time constraint thing... that's totally just their choice. They could give themselves literally any amount of time to get this done. Usually it seems whenever anyone sets a time limit they make the limit shorter than the time they would actually need to get it do so it ends up being rushed... or they give them themselves too much time so they feel like Eh I can work on that later... and then it still ends up rushed as the more time they wait to start the less time they actually have to do it. The thing is... really... you should set a time to START the project and how much time you should spend working on the project rather than setting a time it needs to be done. It'll get done whenever it gets done but usually if you set a time you have to start something and how much time you're going to spend on it per day you can actually work without rushing like you would with a specific deadline... Why do we make deadlines? They're terrible and no one likes them.

Anyway... you could just paint it yourself... I mean this is a common thing with a lot of Hasbro products. I guess this one is a bigger deal just because of how expensive the figure is but I'm honestly not surprised at all. That said... hey anyone remember when there were no Unicron toys at all? Something is better than nothing right?

• Like Like x 3