Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The update in which this blue maw was located were unpainted prototypes of the figure and had no paint on the figure at all with base plastic colors that kept changing and differ from the final model. There was nothing indicating that maw was final or what we would get. Everyone assumed it was just part of the weird prototype coloring.

• Like Like x 10
  2. dragologer

dragologer "Such heroic nonsense"

Agreed. that's why all the complaining is hard for me to hear.
    we're lucky...to have him...at all.
    That's the BASE of how I feel. you could boil down any and all arguments I could come up with down to that sentence.
    I feel, after the year everyone has had, We're lucky to have him at all.
    they could have chopped it up too, "this is too hard and not worth our time. here is your money back. project is scrapped."
    but no. they pushed through to get it done anyway. whether it makes sense to you or not,
    I'm proud of everyone in that company for sticking to it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are seriously going to say the virus magically changed the maw color....

Don’t use a serious matter like that to try and grab some pity for this billion dollar corporation.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Those screencaps are from the production and assembly video which shows people on the assembly line painting, assembling, and packaging Unicron. Previous updates (like #3) showed an unpainted copy, but those images I posted were not an unpainted prototype.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dustbuster

dustbuster Well-Known Member

But does it make sense for most normal people to pay attention to this above and beyond the first photos prominently displayed right at the top of the Unicron page at Hasbro Pulse...which still have not been updated?

• Like Like x 2
  6. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Notice how all the complaining started when people saw that very video because it was the final thing?

• Like Like x 4
  7. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) they set the price and the minimum number that needs to be sold for it to make business sense to them, so yes they have control over the budget.

2) they never set a hard date for the release, only a rough eta of “first quarter 2021”. so yes, they could’ve spent extra time painting the maw and whatever else was needed. nobody forced them to get it out a week or two ago, unless it’s a business decision, in which case that implies that they also had control over it.

you don’t need to be a wizard to establish a business plan.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Heh. No, I hadn’t. Thanks for letting me know. I haven’t been following this thread or the updates since I didn’t buy Unicron.

I thought the complaining started when people received their copies and the first in-hand photos were posted. Pardon my ignorance.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Magusreaver

Magusreaver Lucretia, my reflection, dance the ghost with me

Yes. The virus infected Unicron. He had a serious cough for a few weeks.. but in the end he lost some color. No, of course i'm not saying that. Im just saying your reductive reasoning is only screaming HASBRO BAD.. is just going to stop them from trying such things with TF and sticking to Marvel Legends or some such. It has been a terrible year across the board. this thread which started as such an amazing discussion on an ambitious piece of engineering has devolved into bad faith arguments.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) Budgets fluctuate over long-term projects like this. Ever read the news of a movie going over budget? It's not because they didn't have a plan, it's because shit crops up sometimes that you have no control over. Budgets aren't written in stone like that.

2) That factory wasn't built from the ground-up to make Unicrons. I'm guessing Hasbro booked a certain amount of time to make use of its facilities for Unicron, and then the factory moved on to something else. If a change to paint applications doesn't fit that schedule, it probably can't get done.

Honest Question: Does anyone here know how these factories work?

I don't. But I have some guesses.

I bet the factory floor doesn't sit idly by waiting for our approval of Unicron before they change things. I'm guessing Unicron production is done and all the molds on the plastic injection machines have been swapped out for new ones, all the airbrushes have been filled with new colors, and they're making new toys or other merch by now. Maybe for Hasbro, maybe for someone else. And I'm willing to bet they're scheduled and booked for another product after that and another product after that.

I'm guessing that Hasbro literally might not be able to fix your Unicron. What then?

Does anyone here have the merch production experience to weigh in? Because I'd be happy to learn more about this.

• Like Like x 7
  11. turbobluestreak

turbobluestreak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We got update 5 and then people started getting him in hand like a week or 2 later. Speaking up now vs then isn't really that much of s difference. I will say it was briefly shown in update 3 but was called an engineer pilot. Also in that update images of an unpainted, and fully hand paint sample are present. So it's not clear if you Show me 3 versions in 1 update and expect me to know which one is final.

tbs

• Like Like x 5
  12. Raze134

Raze134 Well-Known Member

Are you serious? That's why we're complaining. The moment that update was out, a truckload of comments on the change was dumped on this thread. I think a reviewer actually posted the first pictures of the final product a few days in advance.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Xaxis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Please see my follow-up post.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Magusreaver

They set that before cost of shipping went up, and they took a header in stock. If they took longer to release it.. for every one that sits in a warehouse they have to pay for that space. Also more chance for them to lose them to theft. Also the price of shipping keeps going up. The longer they wait to ship.. the more out of pocket it becomes. Also if they didn't release it in first quarter of 2021 people would just be here complaining about that as well.

15. turbobluestreak

turbobluestreak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So are you saying that if it was delayed because of the virus we would have been mad. But then on the previous page told us to accept it for what it is because of the virus?

tbs

• Like Like x 7
  16. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i’ll give you that. budget and time estimates could run over, sure. but what CAN be set in stone is a contract. if hasbro negotiated a deal with the warehouse to produce an item according to specifications, then the warehouse won’t get paid the full amount if they manufacture something else.

this is very much what i believe too, and what i stated in one of my earlier posts where i believe the paint apps were most likely compromised bc of some last minute budgeting issues. so i think we’re in agreement here.

but it still isn’t justified for all the backers that paid for an item and had a certain level of expectation. it’s not like they saw all the kibble, paid in full, and then expected haslab to clean up all the shells in robot mode. sure, the project never claimed for the colors to be final, but most of them expected a similar color layout, only difference being the shades of each color. but to swap something out to a completely different color, then give a half-assed response boasting about transparency when none of the updates ever said “these are the final colors” before the item was packaged and shipped? i didn't purchase the figure, but even those series of events disappointed me.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Magusreaver

What I'm saying is the logistics went sideways in every possible way for this toy, and yet here it is. Every day I get more excited that my diabetic immunocompromised butt made it through this year to even get the thing. (knock on wood). I'm willing to accept that the blue in the maw actually gives it some extra definition. I'm okay with a layer of silver acrylic paint on the teeth that can be removed with some rubbing alcohol should I ever decide to sell it. They got me 98% to my childhood dream toy. I'll meet them the extra 2%.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter. The deal was that they get all of our money upfront, two years in advance, and they deliver the product they showed to us as promised. That's it, that's all. If they were worried they couldn't deliver they shouldn't have asked for our money in the first place! True, no one could have expected coronavirus, but you factor risk into your budgetary planning on stuff like this, and you also set aside budgetary reserves you can draw from to cover unforeseen costs. Worse comes to worse, they break-even and the C-level executives get a bit less bonus pay in December, or you go back and say to your customer/partner "hey, can you pony up an extra $30? Shit's gotten tight".

There have been plenty of times where a company has had to sell a product at a loss in order to satisfy their part of a contract, and you'll forgive me if I don't have much sympathy over a multi-billion dollar company being put out of likely one day's worth of gross income. I could have used my money two years ago to do other things as well (like invest into Bitcoin and quadruple it apparently...) but instead I put that money and its purchasing power into this project in good faith, and I don't feel it's unfair to ask for the same commitment from my dance partner.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  19. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    I recieved an email from Hasbro customer service asking me to rate the quality of the service they provided.

Obviously, as they did not resolve my concerns, or even address them, I said I was dissatisfied with the service.

This is the explanation I gave for the feedback.

I wrote in to express my concerns regarding HasLab Unicron, specifically unexpected deco changes made to the final product.

The response I recieved did not offer any solutions to my concerns, or even address my concerns directly.
    The response defensively insisted that "Hasbro Pulse prides ourselves on transparency, and we have shared updated versions along the way" which I found to be dismissive of the concerns I raised.

These deco changes to HasLab Unicron would not come as a surprise to the project backers if Hasbro Pulse were as transparent as they claim.
    In fact, as of typing this response, there has been no update from HasLab depicting the finished Unicron product, nor has there been any statement confirming the item is currently shipping. All the information I have received regarding the product in its finalised form has come via the few backers who have already recieved their product and found the final deco lacking.

In my original email I made it clear how impressed I am with HasLab's Unicron and that I am pleased to have backed this "once in a lifetime" project.
    These sentiments have not changed - the HasLab team have clearly worked hard to create a singular product that very nearly meets all my expectations.

However, I hope my Hasbro customer service experience is also "once in a lifetime," as I would not wish to have my quality concerns rebuffed and dismissed in such a way twice in my lifetime.

~L~

• Like Like x 8
  20. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

I don't feel strongly about it either way. I dislike the teeth the most because it's an asymmetrical design change, but the maw I am OK with because it make the closed maw look better from any sort of distance. Hand hollowness doesn't bug me as it can be fixed with an upgrade kit very easily. I DO find the maw color and teeth color changes baffling though. Even if it was from a cost perspective, they couldn't find anywhere in the budget (when I say 'budget' I mean in general, since we know figure waves have larger and smaller figures to jigger budget around. Unicron may have for some reason been locked to his own budget) to fund 2 paint apps? Anyone who's done the Secret Lair or Mythic Edition (The War of the Spark Mythic Edition caused over $11 million in refunds) Magic The Gathering products and also participated in Unicron knows to be vary wary of any future Haslab projects. I'm slightly worried about the quality of HeroQuest now.

• Like Like x 3