Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    It's really not considering he has a lot more mass than a retail titan

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone who makes anything for a fandom knows that there are people out there questioning their decisions.

It's why you can probably expect nothing more than a canned response that's vague and unsatisfying. Once they give an honest answer to one question like this - even if it was reasonable - it would open the door to a never ending flood of fans demanding explanations for every nitpick ever.

They'll want to avoid the "If you give a mouse a cookie" effect.

Man, I liked the maw better in orange, too, but anyone opting for Core Star because of that slight accuracy issue on Haslab's is really cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• Like Like x 11
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Okay, so you're paying some extra for mass...not for cosmetics.

The point is that, at $600, this is a cheap figure compared to actual masterpiece style figures out there. Expecting "no expense will be spared" out of it is a joke.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Oh, wow, that Studio Cell figure looks far superior to the HasLab offering. What with his spike-free hula hoop and stand that is the same piece you're supposed to plug into the opening to more accurately reflect that one time in the movie and really sort of distracts from the illusion of this figure floating in space.

Yep, I can see why people keep coming in here to explain why they made the right choice buying that figure. Good on them.

I want to point out that I think you two are actually on the same side of the argument and still somehow questioning each other's points.

Edit:

So, quick question. Can anyone point out any one other thing that they feel was falsely represented through the "in development" images besides that one [subjectively] missing spray of paint? Or is that the entire spindle from which all grief and loathing spirals here?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  5. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    You are not going to get that response from anyone because they would be opening themselves to legal liability, which they would never do. If you get a response, it will be a canned response that it was clearly stated the colors were not final.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

Good one, but when you're dropping $600 on a collectible you want to know exactly what you're paying for, including the small details. That's the bottom line.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    You knew what you were paying for. And you're receiving it soon. Again, I ask, what besides that one spray of paint are you dissatisfied with?

• Like Like x 2
  8. BBJazz

I probably would have preferred the brighter yellow from the initial images just because I think it looks pretty. But the orange is more accurate. I also want to clarify that I'm not dissatisfied with the product overall. It still looks damn awesome. I just wish there was clearer communication on detail changes.

• Like Like x 4
  9. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Is the stand for the Studio Cell really an issue? As long as it stands who cares? Plus you have the extra plug in piece and transparent light effect in case you lose one. For me, it looks more like he is floating in place and the stand being the maw piece adds a bit of personal flair to the stand.

The way people find things to complain about with that figure astounds me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    And you realized that was all covered in the "Final colors may vary" disclaimer?

And also that your preference for yellow is canceled out by someone else wanting a richer orange and someone else still hoping for an Energon Black and Green repaint. They sampled the colors in the movie and made a choice. They did alright.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For what it's worth, I used my rarely used Twitter account and tweeted John Warden. Can't do any harm...

• Like Like x 12
  12. Trunkkey

Trunkkey There are no bad toys, just bad people.

Note: People usually categorize me as a hastak shill/apologist, so take these two cents as you will...
    - On principle alone, the maw color change without warning was a scumbag Hasbro move. Mind you, I actually think this thing looks better for it, but I can understand that this change was unannounced and therefore pretty disingenuous. It's not like standard retail where you get what you see. As such I can't resort to the callous "well if you don't like it, don't fucking buy it. what's the big deal". Same thing happened with the Spawn figure and I'm equally miffed.
    - The lack of silver paint on the teeth really irks me. Can't even bucket that as a design choice. It's just bad. On a made to order figure, it really doesn't save money to omit that bit of paint. Cant think of a single reason why this was done. COVID remote work making things slip through the cracks?
    - I honestly think a non-trivial % of price goes to offsetting the hilarious shipping costs that this bad boy will rack up. Shipping rates are nonlinear, and the shipping of a 20lb 3'x 3' x 3' box from Vietnam to domestic storehouses alone must cost a LOT. The baked-in e-tailer markup will be indicative of how much "free shipping" costs. Probably not a good idea to expect $600 level of quality.
    - Unlike studio cell, this toy is a "mainline" release, meaning there are probably unappreciated design requirements and specs they need to meet. Each shell panel probably needs the structural integrity to hold the entire resting weight of the toy without shearing tabs. This and injection molding large, thin panels is never a good idea due to warp. Probably why they're so chonky.
    - Being a mainline toy they also need to adhere to the WFC design language. They probably aren't allowed to litter the design with small, thin panels or overcomplicated transformations.

Having said that, of course I am FUCKING HYPED for this thing. can't wait to paint the teeth and pose the SHIT out of this guy. @Monari has gotten me very excited for this thing. Can't wait to make fun customs: Laser beams, mouth fire, little dinobots, A planet to crush.
    As promised a while back, I'll probably be selling my second and third one at cost locally in WA. once i get it in hand, I'll start asking around. Idt i'll be going through the trouble of shipping though. Only bought the extras to help get over that initial 8000 number...
    I bought a new house just barely big enough for 1 Unicron let alone 3. Though considering how big this boy is, I'm sure it can double as a converted living space in my back yard. Where that base mode at?

• Like Like x 16
  13. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    try just removing the styrofoam and collapsing the box do get into the attic. then just reassemble everything the way it came and problem solved.

if dna was able to give us legs and a ton of extra shit for scorps. i feel like their will be a flood soon. especially since they are located in china and such.

you will be able to find an exact match in a can. but you wont be able to do it with krylon or rustoleum. for me i will be looking at montana or any of the acrylic spray guys.

but i still feel like the maw is orange. until i can see this part in hand or removed to see the backside. i feel like it might be painted and if it is it is a super easy part to strip back to orange.

the reason i say this is because this piece definitely has an orange peel on it. so unless it was a defective mold and i doubt that. this is either orange peel or a little bit of left over grease.

20210208_140627.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey buddy...I mean the third party sellers like Tfsource and Thechosenprime not third party add on kits

• Like Like x 1
  15. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    The massive blue maw that was advertised as yellow, the bottom of the teeth being blue for some reason, the fingers are now grey instead of silver, and the feet are now fully grey plastic instead of silver as was shown and advertised as “what you’ll get”.

• Like Like x 9
  16. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Eh, my opinion being what it's worth, seems lazy to go use that piece as a display stand like he is some kinda giant Quintesson, floating around on his orange jet of conical exhaust. Not even tryong to hide the need for a stand. In fact, by being that piece, looking as it does, I can picture that same look imposed over the movie so now he's a ringed planetoid with some kinda tornado hanging of his butt.

About as bad as having to plug that same piece into the front of the figure and make the planetoid shape even more oblong.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jesse guerra

Jesse guerra Godjinrai

News Credits:
    Thank you

• Like Like x 3
  18. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This is a good perspective. Yeah, it may have been a shit move by Hasbro. But it's not going to prevent fans from going back to the well again in the future because, in the end, I think most of them think like you.

• Like Like x 3
  19. BBJazz

You asked me specifically about something I would have preferred be different and then told me "your preference is canceled out..."

Dude, I know my preference is canceled out. I accept that. That's not the question you asked. You asked what I specifically would have preferred, so that's what I answered.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Thank you. I kept reading about an orange maw and thought maybe people were just parroting one person's dislike because they needed to feel dissatisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

Balls and eggs both have

Value. Both unicrons can

Make people happy

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.