Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The translucent is only the regular face, broken face, eyes, head stand, and I think one other part but most likely nothing actually vital or holding weight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I hope after watching the video people have a deeper appreciation knowing their figure was hand assembled and hand painted by hundreds of hard working people. Look at them go. That's hard work and dedication right there.

To own one of these I'd treat if like a Treasure. It a huge conversation piece in so many more ways than one.

• Like Like x 12
  3. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    while i don’t doubt that there may be some that fit this description, i think it’s a little naive to make a blanket statement to say that anyone with a criticism is just bc they can’t afford it and are sour. as mentioned by a few others with their honest feedback, they’re backers of this guy, and so it’s not about the lack of funding and being sour at those that are able to afford him. they have over half a grand on a figure, there’s a certain level of expectation for what they’re going to get.

for me, i was on the brink of ordering him, and the exclusivity really tempted me. but in the end, i just couldn’t get over how simplistic his transformation was, which i assume was to be able to have something this size yet be durable enough to tolerate the weight and playability. here’s what solidified my feelings:

3BF8C3A0-FBEF-418B-AFD0-8E36E2858492.jpeg

there’s just so much unused real estate in that hollow body that they could’ve used for better engineering, like an ab crunch or to store some of the planet shell kibble. with his level of articulation and transformation, i can see the figure being scaled down to half the size and still retain exactly the same design, which to me means they didn’t maximize the potential from having something this large a scale.

his blue planet mouth is also a little disappointing to me, even if i don’t have a dog in this fight, so i sympathize with those of you that feel let down by this.

i’m still super excited about this guy being released and seeing what others think of him though! which is why i still visit this thread, but i try to stay out of discussions so that those of you that bought him don’t get bogged down by debbie downers. its been over a year in the making, so get hyped and share lots of pics when you get him!

• Like Like x 5
  4. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought the head or at least the face was cast in translucent plastic, no? Looks that way when it comes out of the molding machine

Let it go,
    Let it goooo
    Just let it goooooo...

The email is confusing. You don't have an option to change or confirm your address in-HasbroPulse, you are essentially just asked to check if it is still correct. You need to sign by that name on delivery. For me that's gonna be my friend in California. :) 
    So as long as that address you put in 1.5 years ago is still correct today nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I totally see where you are coming from. I guess I didn't think about that and after seeing the video 4 more times and pausing on those parts. I can def see why many canceled their order and plan to sell theirs. That's a huge shame seeing that pic.

I've always loved Transformers because of the puzzle aspect, but seeing that so much of the puzzle is more a less cheating instead of taking advantage and truly utilizing all that unused space makes me really sad. :(  Unicron was always one of those Characters I wanted to see purposely be made to be the most complex Transformer Ever designed. But instead we get something as simple as Armada Unicron in supersized form.

But I digress... It's still dam impressive seeing this come to fruition. As a kid had I seen this, I'd have screamed to the heavens and then shortly after DIE from jaw drop and heart exploding out of my chest from adrenalin rush due to being overly excited.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you want complex there is the story of the Unicron idea before Haslab Unicron where it'd be 3 feet tall, have a solid metal skeleton, be priced at around $2500 and be a Takara Tomy Exclusive as a celebration of the movie and franchise.
    It would've be something like the Studio Cell/Zeta figure but at 3 feet tall and apparantly 30 pounds.
    They realized that nobody would pay that much, the figure would collapse under it's own weight, and the process would take around 3-4 years to finish all the orders.
    I'm kinda glad they went with this figure instead of something way over the top and ridiculous like that.

7. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    The face is, yes. But the skull under the face isn't. In backer update 3 it was fully orange.

• Like Like x 1
  8. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Eh, that's not really unused real estate. It's support struts so that he can support the force of the ratchet joints in his body, but in a way that they don't need to make the chest a solid block of plastic.

Scaling him down would change things as it would also drop those forces due to sizes decreasing. The biggest hurdle with this figure designwise appears to me to be the fact it has to transform and be able to hold a pose despite its size and weight.

• Like Like x 11
  9. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    everyone talking about how it will be easy to get a unicron now that folks are going to be selling their's off because of the mouth...is laughable at best

orange mouth or blue these things are not about to be turfed out of existence. once it fully hits i see these sitting at a grand all day.

if the mouth really bothers you all so much. just pop the backpack off and repaint it. it should only take about 20 mins tops to disassemble. after that mask and spray.

• Like Like x 4
  10. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yea, i used to collect a bunch of other toy lines, anything nostalgic from the 80s, but i’ve since narrowed down my collection to transformers, and it’s bc of the transforming puzzle aspect that i enjoy so much, and why i’m so particular about the engineering.

yea it’s pretty steep, but i would love to read more about that if you have a link. considering i spent a grand on ultimetal prime years ago and now have a preorder for the $2k+ yolopark prime that doesn’t transform, i would argue that there IS a niche market out there where serious collectors would be willing to pony up that amount of cash for a transformable figure. hell, even the metal structure gundam nu that costs $1k sold out within minutes of preorder.

yea, this unicron is definitely built for the sheer size, and not so much the engineering. not a knock on the future by any means, just a different target audience.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, same here... but I think it is different here because so few of these are made. I mean compared to Unicron's few thousand, imagine how many millions of one-step changer movie Bumblebees are manufactured... Guess such a low number does not warrant a whole automated setup.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Man, I can’t wait! It’s looking great and is going to be so exciting to see him in person. I do wonder if the back and/or leg kibble will be easily removed and put back on. It doesn’t bother me, but that shot in the new video of his back w/o the backpack looks really good! Either way, i’m super hyped!

• Like Like x 3
  13. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You don't HAVE to customize it. You can just shrug and let it be. I am frankly not bothered at all by the blue ring. We knew a lot of stuff will change on the road to the final product. Some changed for the better, like the colors which look more G1 movie colors now than G1 unproduced toy colors like on the prototypes. I feel the blue nicely breaks up that part which was all too yellow and meshing into one blob of color at that area.

LOOL.
    You people.
    You are just impossible.
    The bitching and whining here is ridiculous.
    How can one tiny detail bother you so much? I bought Unicron even when back then the photos made it seem he had G1 toy Faticron colors. And that's a far bigger difference then a ring
    Unicron1.jpg DSC01848.jpg

I just don't see why this is so important you have to cry bloody murder and pretend this is the biggest sin in the world.
    I would like to see your reaction when the brand new car or house you buy - both cost far more than this toy - turns out to have unforeseen differences from what was advertised to you... :p 

I am sitting here and am just awed by how good Unicron looks and how I have to wait only a few months to have him.
    I dunno why you cannot enjoy something without nitpicking.

Hummm.
    Actually, if you look at it closer, you can see the blue triangle holes have no detail on them. And they sit far deeper compared to the ring than the CGI render shows.
    So would not be surprised if there was another step to take where they push some yellow triangles into those slots.
    After all, the yellow spiked hole-fillers on the planet's equator are also not present on this pic.

Sad but true. Me on the other hand, can't help but laugh at people singing praises of that tiny Zeta thing that Metroplex or Scorponok can grab and lift over their heads, it's so small.
    It's getting to where people like me who only buy official Transformers are in the minority. I am still surprised why Hasbro is not taking steps against them when they are clearly cutting into the market at the collector level.

Mawgate!
    LOL you are hilarious. Go into standup, you'll make enough money to actually buy this toy instead of complaining about something you never even paid for. :D 
    Seriously, how can you people make such a riot over such a minor thing ignoring how the toy is GIGANTIC and super detailed and awesome otherwise?
    Schadenfreude at work, I guess.
    Also your insane allegation that Hasbro is saving money because yellow plastic costs more than blue had me ROFL. It's the same plastic with different paint mixed in the material! Last I checked all paint costs the same. GUUH.

... also Zeta is something Earthrise Scorponok can break over his knee like Bane did to Batman, he is so small. And I am also not supporting shameless IP theft when the company who gave me Transformers is giving me an official Unicron.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  14. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

p much yeah. if people want a g1 unicron then just get the third party one. if g1 accuracy is that important then why the hell did people even buy this thing given the robot mode aint even close to g1 accurate
    this is literally on the same level as the sonic fandom complaining about sonics eyes going from black to green

• Like Like x 3
  15. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's not really an unicron exclusivity unfortunately. For me, everything bigger than a leader has been deceiving for these reasons. It looks like bigger the toy is, more simplistic and deceiving the transformation is.

• Like Like x 2
  16. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

If you think about it, a maw kind of is a gate so it sort of makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kraven

kraven Decepticon

“Obviously not g1 unicron, anyway”
    “Robot mode ain’t even close to g1 accurate”

lol, you guys crack me up! This thread needs more cleaver humor, it would help lighten the mood. But for future reference, blue text is often used to help relay sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek.
    Unless of course you guys are serious... In that case, I’m not sure what you’re on, but there are plenty of avenues for help available. If you’re ready.

• Like Like x 3
  18. RavageX9

RavageX9 Tripredacus Agent

I don't see how looking at the video and comparing to the shots of Unicron that sold us are different is whining. It's more hey what the heck did you do? That's not what I shelled 600 hundred on.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you point out these obvious difference ?

I don't follow this closely as I didn't purchased it as I'm not interested at all into unicron (so I'm a bit neutral on the debate), but from the video, I don't see what the big differences are.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jesse guerra

Jesse guerra Godjinrai

News Credits:
    Agreed I think its awesome, but not only the fact that everyone has been waiting almost 35 years for something like this, i even retired my armada unicron and sold parts off of him

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.