Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    For those that missed out on Haslab unicron and still want it... just a heads up: I heard from a retailer friend that a major toy distributor has put up "very limited" preorders for wholesale... $600 ea... so expect it to be $800+ on retail. These will probably show up soon at whatever retailers take those orders. It's not a perfect scenario, but it's at least an option for those not willing to risk the aftermarket ebay scene.

• Like Like x 3
  2. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Noah's Freshman Album

News Credits:
    I wonder if somewhere like Costco would take a run at selling Unicrons. Maybe not in-store, but online?

• Like Like x 2
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

Unicron is not available wholesale. The production run is accounted for.

• Like Like x 3
  4. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    It's not available for less than retail price, but some wholesalers/distributors apparently invested in the crowdfunding and are now putting some of their stock up for business orders. April/May 2021 eta.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you know which ones? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    I don't. I've just made lots of friends in and around the toy industry over the last 2 decades and some of them are involved in the retail side of things and they know my interests, so when something like this comes up, they let me know.

• Like Like x 4
  7. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Cultist of Unicron.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm waiting for thechosenprime to fix their site to do my op payment for unicron. I only have 8 left at 25 usd each for a total of 200 usd left to pay

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am pretty sure people said the same thing in 1984, and look at the difference between a loose and MIB G1 toy now... ;) 
    I see people selling just empty G1 boxes and cards for substantial sums.
    There is always gonna be value of the boxes, because kids simply throw them away most of the time. (Not me, I put them away even as a kid).
    But to be frank I am mainly not doing it for "collector's value" but because I like the boxes. It does help however in keeping me retain the costs. When WFC Siege happened and I decided to sell my Legends Triggerhappy, Misfire and Slugslinger, I was happy I put away the boxes. You don't know how many buyers try pulling the "well but it is missing the original packaging, so would you sell them for 5-10$ less?" card here... ;) 

• Like Like x 4
  9. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I actually sell my empty boxes and really only just charging the shipping for it, and I sell them because I don't really have the space for them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, we can't all have a mother who thought of every business decision in advance, like Quark did... :D 
    Quark (1).png
    Quark (4).png

• Like Like x 9
  11. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Is there a part of that missing?

• Like Like x 2
  12. DouglasQuad1981

DouglasQuad1981 Banned

nice detail and all but the sharp teeth are kind of too much.

• Like Like x 1
  13. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Take it up with MG1
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Keiman74

Keiman74 Perfect geometric shape box TFW2005 Supporter

But he needs the sharp teeth to really dig into the all-you-can-eat Cybertron buffet on Saturday nights..

[​IMG]

And when he wants to savor some delicious Autobot finger food..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  15. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I contend that G1 toys will always be the exception. Later lines, not so much.

Any item that people care enough about, yes, of course the packaging will make a huge difference. But there are lots of toys that folks really won't care that much about.

• Like Like x 4
  17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I...don't even think this is a comment that can even stand on two rational legs. Maybe if we're crawling through intellectual muck, all due respect.

In the 80's-90's value of toys were literally the last thing on my mind. I was buying them to play with them, to have epic adventures. It literally wasn't until the 90s with the "Dark Age of Comics" hitting, the proliferation of collectors toys and speculation that anything other than Star Wars and Hot Wheels came to have increasing nostalgia and collector value. I highly, highly doubt that the mindset of a person in '84 buying an Optimus Prime and keeping it's box as pristine as possible was going, "Damn, this is gonna be worth something in 20 years time."

A bit of a story. I have a friend who had a complete NES set from 1983, including it's box. While it isn't really worth much THAT much all things considered, it wasn't value that he was concerned with. For him it was such a special gift in '83 that as a kid he wanted to preserve everything, that meant dutifully protecting the box and manuals that came with it over the years. I say this because I'm sure that is what the majority of people are thinking when keeping boxes. Sentimental feelings over any kind of future speculation.

The NES story actually ended when he enlisted in the Navy a decade ago, and he gave me the whole damn thing. Got a ton of games too and I periodically crack it out and frustrate myself on shit like Ninja Gaiden. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  18. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Perhaps as much to your point, when people (in the 90s and later) started being so concerned with "this is gonna be worth something" the actual resale value of many of those items started to plummet. The market was literally flooded with "collectors items" that weren't worth hardly anything. Something isn't a "collectors item" just because someone says it is.

G1 toys are worth something, if keep with packages and in good condition, at least in part BECAUSE so few people did so at the time.

But my point was more that G1 toys are an exception because they were, well, the first. Those will always have an edge on later Transformers.

I've already conceded that there ARE toys (even more modern ones) that DO reach collectors item status, and/or that will be worth far more boxed than loose. But I haven't been convinced that this is true for MOST toys. Giving me examples of toys that ARE more valuable really doesn't do much to make the argument.

• Like Like x 2
  19. UtahRobotInDisguise

News Credits:
    I tried that. Costs more to ship an empty box and shell since the weight isn't there for the size. Ended up paying more to ship than I made.

I've sold several figures without boxes, and compared my take with "MISB" listings. Rarely has it amounted to more than $5 difference.

True. I never even thought about the value of a toy until the 90's started the whole "limited foil packaging" crap from the comics, or the Playmates Toys Startrek line that had several mid-wave variations of Data, LaForge, and Troy. I had all the 1984-1985 Transformers, all the 1981 He-Man figures and playsets, and almost all the GI Joe toys. Sold ALL of them in the classifieds to get money to buy a NES and a few games in 1988. Yes. THOUSANDS of dollars of stuff traded to buy a $199 system (1988 dollars).

20. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Noah's Freshman Album

News Credits:
    I mean, that's true of later lines as well. Guys like Razorbeast during BW jumped in value once he became the center of the IDW Awakening comic.

Likewise, take a look at CW Rook. At the time nobody thought much of him...but now he's one of the spendier secondary market CWs because the only people who bought him wanted him so people who want him *now* can't find anyone looking to sell. (The same is honestly true for Bravo and Offroad as well)

I actually think a lot of the CW stuff has shot up in value because, at the time of release, some people skipped them due to missing members. Then over time those members became available and now people are like "Damnit I want that team now!" but they can't find sets because nobody's selling.

• Like Like x 1