Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    This reminds me that I probably should sell off my Playmates Trek toys... they're just taking up space right now, and really aren't worth all that much.

• Like Like x 2
  2. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I absolutely agree that later toys CAN be worth quite a lot more packaged than loose. Often, it IS because of some fictional representation that makes those characters interesting.

But what about characters that never get that spotlight? (Or some other "boost...". It doesn't have to be fictional representation... I'm not sure what's making Bravo and Off Road desirable...)

• Like Like x 1
  3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I really feel sorry for those sitting on a mountain of Kenner Power of the Force stuff...

Hell even the valuable long lightsaber early releases are barely worth anything anymore, and that's even if you find someone willing to have it in the first place.

• Like Like x 4
  4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    People getting in to CW late and wanting more of it. It's how some of those secondary BW characters got so expensive all of a sudden.

Also, there are sometimes boosts from stuff like Funpub and 3P. the CW Prime molds got really hot one they started getting upgrade kits to make them look like IDW Prime. And Bravo/Rook got pulled in to the FunPub/TFCC universe as part of the Wreckage combiner so if you had TFCC 5.0 you may want to seek those out to finish that guy.

Heck, I really got in to CW like three waves after it started and already started running in to trouble getting guys like TAV Runamuck and Overdrive...not to mention how quickly Grand Scourge shot up in price.

On top of that, you could have people outside the Hasbro market who want guys like Offroad and Bravo who didn't show up in UW. Similar to how Hasbro CW collectors had to make some decisions on how they tracked guys like UW Ratchet.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if secondary prices for Battle Core Prime manage to go even higher now that Takara's Legends comic gave him an official combination on top of Optimus Maximus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Offroad and Alpha Bravo werent sold in Japan, so perhaps its japanese buyers or people proxy buying for the japanese?

• Like Like x 2
  6. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    That all makes sense. I also wonder how much the current surges we're seeing will hold after, say, another ten years. As is well-known, items that are hot now may be worth much less in the future, as other releases (or reissues, in some cases) make the originals less essential.

Or, in some cases, people just forget why the figure was a big deal in the first place....

• Like Like x 2
  7. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    That's how the market goes. I can tell you that, at least for a time, there were a bunch of TFCC Impactor and Bluestreak (the CW pair) hitting eBay for about half the price they normally did as people offloaded stuff in the face of Siege releases of both.

Same for movie stuff. Lots of Constructicons, Megatrons, etc hitting eBay once "improved" versions came via Studio Series. Because sometimes it makes people want the new stuff, and other times it reminds people of the stuff they missed out on.

Scrapmetal jumped in price pretty quick because I think people weren't fully on board with SS Devy until they started seeing more figures and closer to "final" versions of the combined guy.

Likewise, look for SS Rampage to start hitting eBay as people offload him in favor of the yellow Skipjack.

• Like Like x 1
  8. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    No disagreement, but I think we're moving afield from my main point. Yes, there ARE always things that are worth keeping the packaging for, but often, one can't know what those items will be in advance, and I don't think that one can guarantee that it's always worth the effort to do so. (If, as one person suggested, one can always collapse packages to take up little space, the balance swings in favor of keeping it, but I still think the plastic inserts that keep the toys safe are rather important... and those take up a lot of space for something that might not balance out that effort later).

Not if resale value is your main concern, at any rate. Personally, I'm keeping most of my boxes on current stuff simply because there's a chance I'll need to move in the not-so-distant future, and packaging keeps my toys safe in transition (I recognize that this adds to the bulk of moving, though, so there's that, but since economics aren't the reason I'm keeping that stuff for now, it's the decision I've made).

• Like Like x 1
  9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    I've talked with at least one guy who buys/resells at his store and packaging rarely makes a difference because the people who care want *mint* and most people simply don't do that. I too flatten boxes now because my opinion is that if I have the flattened paperwork at least the next person can decide if they want it for any reason.

I have a few MiB that I will keep that way (two Binaltechs that I have the Alternators for and the BBTS Piranacon since I know it has balance issues and I still have my original G1)

• Like Like x 1
  10. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    FWIW, I still have the card backs (at the very least) and at least most of the plastic for all of the Trek figures I'll eventually be getting rid of. ALL are opened, and many are in sorry shape. Again, I kept them for ease of storage while protecting the figures. Will I make much on them? I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it will be much better (if at all better) than if I tried to sell them totally loose.

I guess I'll find out.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Not to mention kids of the 80s were buying up toys to play with them so finding unopened pieces is considerably rarer than today's collecting where people buy items specifically to leave them in the package and creating a considerably larger supply for the demand.

Though there is that video of that guy being interviewed at ToysRUs when the first Star Wars figures hit shelves. When asked why he was buying them, he told the reporter that, "... they'll be worth money someday."

• Like Like x 2
  12. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Quite often, such folks are proven correct. This is not in dispute.

Indeed (and bringing Unicron kicking and screaming back into his own thread), I think that Unicron will always be a special figure, and the assurance of having him in his package probably won't be meaningless.

(Although such value would remain only in regard to the packaging he actually comes with, and without regard to whether someone creates something much nicer than a brown box with a few images for him to be kept in).

I doubt the same can be said of all... or even most... modern Transformers figures. But Unicron is probably a special case.

• Like Like x 1
  13. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    Yeah, Unicron will be a special case, similar in concept to the gold Prime or Megatron in Japan, or the NECA TMNT with vinyl case. Unicron will be a limited figure so he will PROBABLY go up in value over time, especially as numbers go down over time (such as due to breakages) but demand will probably stay high.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    I agree. I just find it interesting that at least one guy, in a ToyRUs of yesteryear, knew what was going to happen.

Toys today though, as I said, many people keep those MISP. That certainly doesn't make such things as valuable because the supply closes in on the demand.

• Like Like x 2
  15. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

RID prices are going up at the moment, it'll run you a good couple of hundred to get a Rail Racer nowadays.

• Like Like x 2
  16. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

i have just a random quick question here and maybe someone who knows can help me out.

did haslab offer any service or after the fact parts for the barge? or was it a "we're sorry about you are basically sol thanks" i was just wondering.

• Like Like x 2
  17. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, they did. One of mine was actually missing the pack-n figure, and they replaced it for me. It DID take a little bit of time, but nothing overly excessive.

• Like Like x 4
  18. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Cultist of Unicron.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soon... more info will come

I hope

• Like Like x 1
  19. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

thank you that is exactly what i was hoping to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wuggaroo

Wuggaroo Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When this comes out, will hasbro be making any extras? Or is it basically, “preorder or nothing”?

• Like Like x 1