Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. DesertDog

DesertDog is probably craving pork chops

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    I glad that they cut the city mode. I have a hard enough time figuring out why Unicron even needs feet, let alone trying to figure out where he’d find a rocky world large enough to support his weight and why he’d bother to land on one rather than devour it. I love the Planet-formers but they kinda give me a headache.

It does give me serious Spanner vibes though.

Not looking forward to next winter but this figure should brighten the worst of it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I have kind of a weird question. How many Gen Metroplex/TR Fort Max shoulder lengths wide would you say Unicron is in each mode with the wings/rings?

It'll help me rearrange my bedroom around Unicron.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see it not as a transformation, as supported by the fiction, but as an alternate "playset" mode that sort of represents the corridors and trenches the Autobots have to fight through inside of him.

• Like Like x 5
  4. samisham

That's actually a pretty cool way of looking at it and he can probably still do something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you think children are interested in buying sets and characters for the first 3 SW movies that most kids I meet today NEVER saw (I can attest to this, sad as it is) then you are really deluded. But hey, thanks for the unneeded sarcasm nobody asked for! ;) 
    Also your username has a spelling error, the movie was called black hawk down. [/sarcasm rigth back atcha]

• Like Like x 1
  6. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

My dudes ... it’s about what’s IN the box, right? *i need that Brad Pitt meme, stat!* :) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. samisham

• Like Like x 3
  8. Delta Beam Dale

Delta Beam Dale Well-Known Member

Based on this image, I'd say he's about 3½ Fort Maxs' wide from wing to wing

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  9. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really doubt Hasbro is making profit on this. Maybe a tiny bit, but otherwise, what we paid and the 8000 preorders were needed as the absolute minimum to get this on the road. If you look back on the topic, other people explained better than me how much these molds and engineering costs. I seriously doubt Hasbro asked some financial consultant to calculate to the cents how many preorders they needed to come off of this without investing anything. Hell, they already invested a LOT because they made the model and prototype by the time the kickstarter began. It was not scummy - it was a risk on their end. Unicron had many, many more moving parts than Jabba's barge, and Transformers isn't as super popular as Star Wars. They took a risk and it paid off, but if you imagine Hasbro making huge profit on us and greedily laughing in their creepy castles like Mr Burns, saying "Eeeexcellent...." then you are being unrealistic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

I mean, the picture is right there. Could they be a little bit wider? Sure. Much wider? No — we’ll have to agree to disagree here. I have a hard time looking at this figure and thinking the one thing that is wildly off is the maw, but then I’ve certainly harped on weirder, small stuff on other figures before, so I can respect the point of view

• Like Like x 1
  11. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Who's us? You work in some toy factory too that you have this insider knowledge?
    And obviously, these days I doubt Hasbro would ever just leave the molds behind in the factory. That was 1984, let's not forget. Molds have not leaked ever since, I think, other KOs are made by using the toys to make new molds.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    It's not a toy company.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Base modes seem to be getting more and more ridiculous. I almost feel like an 18+ graphic warning label needs to be put on that picture of Unicron splayed out like that for some reason.

• Like Like x 2
  14. C16

C16 Space Nomad

My memory of his mouth from when I watched it as a kid was this perfect round area that opened up to reveal hidden teeth that fit perfectly between each other. Now they're just kind of claws that fit between some other gaps and they stick out even when closed. It doesn't hit that nostalgia hard like the rest of the figure.

• Like Like x 2
  15. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

My name is a joke on the movie; the fact that you attempted to be an expert on something as trivial as my name with zero knowledge on the matter reflects the fact that you don’t let your ignorance get in the way of making any stupid assertions, like claiming kids don’t buy sets based on the original SW movies. But, hey, no law against ignorance and baseless declarations, so you are free to type whatever you see fit to try to save face.

• Like Like x 4
  16. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

I can’t handle consecutive epic clap-backs ...

• Like Like x 6
  17. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

I hear you. One of the weirdest things in toy collecting can be the dissonance between how we remember them as a kid and when “screen accurate” doesn’t quite fit that. Especially when something (like the maw) was drawn different ways in the same movie.

I’ve had the similar issues with the headsculpt, which was also drawn inconsistently throughout the movie. The more I compared the two, the more I’ve learned to appreciate all the details that HasLab got right in spite of the challenge of not having one set model to work from

• Like Like x 3
  18. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a very helpful post. Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  19. nic28

nic28 warrior

God id give almost anything to have that 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My perspective is that I paid $600 for Unicron, not the box he comes in. As long as the box ensures that he arrives safely then it did it's job. We knew since the campaign was running that the box would be plain, Warden said as much in more than one inverview on the subject if memory serves.

• Like Like x 6