Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    So u think armada was day one? Were u alive in 84?

2. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I was born in 1997.

However, I would like to ask have you heard of Cassettes, Tripple Changers, Jumpstarters, Headmasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters, Pretenders, Duocons, Laserrods, Transmetals, or Fuzors? Because those were all gimmicks.

• Like Like x 9
  3. twohip2

twohip2 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    totally worth the price if I get the cat

• Like Like x 1
  4. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    Actually junior they weren't. The gimmicks were things that affected a whole line like sticking a mini con on a figure to make it do something else. Making an entire line headmasters. Making an entire line combiners etc. Your generation couldn't just have transforming robots, you had to have extra crap. Surprised they didn't include spongebob and barney. Or was hanna Montana your thing?

5. samisham

No. A gimmick is an action feature, if anything it's a feature they can print on the box. Also, what line was released the year before Armada? Did it have a line-wide unifying set of gimmicks... I don't think it did...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. 2Sixshot

2Sixshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gimmick
    noun
    plural noun: gimmicks
    1. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
    No, it doesn't need to affect the whole line: Prime example is thrilling 30th by having a missile launch from a weapon that is a gimmick. There wasn't missle launching in all the figures. So junior it doesn't need to affect the whole line to be called a gimmick.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

But this is not a generations selects figure. This is a limited edition crowd fund project. And your argument about titans needing pretty boxes to be displayed on store shelves is meh. Many titans were not available in brick and mortar retail in the US after TRU closed. And knowing nobody is going to throw away this big ass box, they might as well make it look good. How much did I pay, I think $638 with tax. I would have gladly paid $700 for a nice box. Its not like I got anywhere I can hide it. Its gonna be somewhere in my house like a giant eyesore. Just saying...

8. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    attitudes like this ruin transformers more than a gimmick

• Like Like x 18
  9. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

To each their own. I appreciate their efforts to keep the price down as my intent is not for later resale. It was a hard enough sell as it was at 600

• Like Like x 1
  10. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We aren’t hiding it, it’s just a topic that’s been beaten to death to the point that’s it’s now a smoothie.

11. jayacon

jayacon Prime

A box! A box! We really talking about a fucking box you tell me you would have paid an extra 62 dollars for nice box lol smh .

• Like Like x 6
  12. Mattymo

News Credits:
    pretty much. I have a buddy who keeps every package. We’ve also had to get together and explain to him he has a hoarding problem haha

• Like Like x 2
  13. samisham

Even though this box isn't great looking I'm going to probably throw some out to make room.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The point of bringing up Selects is that this is based on a similar D2C distribution model. Same logic applies.

Doesn't matter where the Titans actually ended up. They were intended for retail and thus planned out in the same way. And they still got optioned to clearance chains at the end of their run, where Unicron won't at all.

Point is moot, though. They were upfront about that decision and it wasn't up to us to make a choice in the matter.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Mattymo

News Credits:
    titans are still intended for retail still. Yes they’re mostly sold online but they are sold on shelves in certain areas in Asia. That’s also why they still get put in flashy boxes.

• Like Like x 3
  16. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Real argument rather than using Titan boxes. Why did the sail barge have a real box with all that supposedly insanely costly ink? It cost less than this guy did.

17. Mattymo

News Credits:
    Different franchise, a licensed franchise, different design team and a couple years apart. There’s your answer.

• Like Like x 4
  18. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd guess it was their first dip of the toes into the water, and putting it in a TVC box means more sales and justification for higher price.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was probably part of the intent in that case though. The thought being that Star Wars collectors are more particular about that sort of thing, plus their toy was cheaper overall so the box price could slide in without being so egregious.

Unicron's price margins were probably set such that more of the money raised got funneled to the toy development. The toy also wasn't designed to fit into a G1 collection, so retro packaging isn't a particular concern.

But yes, ultimately it comes down to different production teams. Star Wars team deemed it important, TF team didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

So...it was ruined from Day 1 in 1982. Gotcha.

Because all those things he mentioned are gimmicks. Transforming is a goddamn gimmick. That's why they sold so well in the 80's, there really wasn't any other toys like them. But of course, that's not enough. They brought in all the classic gimmicks like combiners, triple changers, cassette to player interactivity. All of those things are gimmicks.

• Like Like x 8