Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Venomus Rodimus

Venomus Rodimus RedisPower

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Mann just look at those jacked back, backpack pancake stacks!  I love it.

2. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Sorry I'm using common sense, I'll try not to do that again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000 Well-Known Member

I thought we'd already seen the artwork for Unicron's "normal" TF-styled packaging, and that this is just the shipping crate that surrounds it.

4. optimusbee

optimusbee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So does this guy stand on his own, without the stand?

5. Figment

Figment Decepticon Trooper

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That thing is huge, but as for the transparency, or lack there of, of the stand. I dont care, if it were transparent it would definitely not be able to hold the full weight without snapping

6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We were told during the campaign that unicron would not have a full color box but rather that he would ship in a very minimalistic box
    yes
    The transparent stand is for the ships, we've know that stand would be transparent since they first showed it off

• Like Like x 4
  7. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It will. The Star Wars sail barge did. But this is also going to weigh nearly twice as as much as as the Sail Barge (14 lbs vs 19 lbs for Unicron + 5 lbs for the stand). The box design is likely driven by this.

The Sail Barge exterior box was just your standard Hasbro case made to fit the inner box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a bit of a difference between the intent of the two inner boxes though. The Sail Barge was never made as a toy and is about as big as you can feasibly make a Star Wars vehicle at approximately scale with the 3.75 inch figures. It is supposed to be 30 meters long.

To offer a kind of comparison, the Millennium Faclon, at 35 meters long is longer than the Barge. But as a toy.... well
    [​IMG]

But the Millenium Falcon had toys before. So the intent with the sail barge was to ape the box design of the 1970s/1980s Kenner toy series (which is what the Vintage Collection Does).

With Unicron, it would have been really nice if they had aped the G1 packaging, but Transformers doesn't do that unless its authentic G1. Instead this uses the Unicron logo text we've seen somewhere else in the last few years and the Age of Extinction-Present Brand Unification Transformers text (which is flat and terrible) with the AoE-Present Generations logo. The cartoony-puffy art style of the drawings we've seen somewhere else too.

I think it's worth remembering what this Unicron actually is. Unlike the Sail Barge, which was supposed to represent something fixed in time from Return of the Jedi, this isn't G1 Unicron. It's War for Cybertron Unicron. The Haslab fundraiser was labeled as that. It also comes out at the same time as Wave 1 of WFC Part III will start to hit the shelves. I've been saying since this was announced "look at what Hasbro did with the Sail Barge". Around the same time it hit the market, they also released an updated Skiff to go with it (the thing Luke walked the plank on in RoTJ) at general retail for the first time since the early-mid 2000s, along with updated releases of pretty much every character from the first act of Return of the Jedi.

This is why I've been saying for some time, for WFC Part III, I think they'll do Galvatron (Voyager), Cyclonus (Leader-class with addons like Astrotrain), Scourge (large deluxe) (that you can troop build with, since it seems every part of WFC has had that), Rodimus Prime (leader), Kup, Blurr and Wreckgar (that you can also troop build with). They've lined everything up for 2021 since they announced Unicron, with Siege being the war on Cybertron, Earthrise being the Earth story, and Part III being the War in Space (that will naturally feature Unicron).

So to that end, yeah it's super exciting we're getting Unicron, but he's "really" G1 Unicron in the same sense that the 25th Anniversary Unicron was, when all is said and done.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Nagatem

Nagatem Sea sea sea sea sea sea sea sea seaconOooo

He\'s way too big, glad I didn\'t buy it, would have literally no place to put it, also because I think it\'s face is ugly

unicron devourer of cats

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you've confused who the apex predator is in that relationship.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Nagatem

Nagatem Sea sea sea sea sea sea sea sea seaconOooo

no, it’s still the planet that can chomp and has flea sized galvatron to use as a distraction

11. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    I am not so certain that there will be a "better" box. The second box shown for the sail barge is a fairly standard shipper for all Hasbro products. Yes, it's shaped to fit the sail barge but the information is that found on boxes headed to WalMart.

This Unicron box shown isn't that at all. Of course, I don't care about there being a "better" box. All figures could come in brown paper boxes if it saved me money.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Redog75

Redog75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Well said Tig. I have been away from this thread since the last update. Today's email made me laugh. It was a wonderful distraction from things. To Hasbro: thanks! Fun! We need that right now.

For the packaging, that was actually more than I was expecting lol.

• Like Like x 3
  13. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it will, unfortunately..
    Why else would they design the box with those handles on the sides? Looks like a shipping box to me.
    Def hurts resale value for those who bought more than one...

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, it'll have an outer shipper. Probably be a snug fit, though, so it still won't protect the box if the handlers get unnecessarily rough with it and start punching holes in it.

15. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    Unicron will probably ship in a standard Hasbro box as well. I'm 99% sure the "Generations Select" style box is the display "retail" box. The actually mailer will be the plain brown cardboard/purple Hasbro print box. Hasbro isn't going to be risky with this. Holes in the side of the Generations style box is just so you can move it around once it's out of the mailer. It's a heavy, odd sized box!

• Like Like x 1
  16. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

The box is slot smaller than I expected, which is great.

17. Houstonian Prime

Houstonian Prime skilled tradesman

News Credits:
    dude is so big he ought to be paying rent! that is so cool the way theyve got him in a home setting.. so you can get a feel for how gargantuan he really is. love the cat photo.

kudos to those that plopped down the money for this unicron. it wasnt in my budget, but I am happy for those that were able to obtain the preorder. cant wait to see this guy in the appreciation threads.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Unicron: Kittah Tested. Kittah Approved :thumb 

What I'd rather have is a poster done up in the style of the art on the back of the old G1 packaging with Unicron being swarmed by all the Autobots & Decepticons from the movie, complete with Unicron Tech Spec and Robot points at the bottom.

1,000% agree

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

...so he comes with a cat now?:p 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Unicron will be shipped in planet mode, which is probably good, as transforming from planet mode to bot mode, seems to be the easier/faster, more complete transformation.