Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It's definitely not something to be resold online, that's for sure. You might break even at $800 shipped. Might. If somebody doesn't decide to teach "scalpers" a lesson by saying they never received it to get a refund.

A few years ago, I almost pulled the trigger on half a dozen Castle Greyskulls. I was having so much trouble selling far cheaper figures that I just couldn't do it. In the short run, I was right. Mattel had many backers pull out (partly because Mattel did stupid things like shrink the door so HeMan couldn't stand in it and partly because they were phantom backers all along) and had to clearance them at half off. Then a few years later, they were suddenly selling for double retail (around $500).

Fast forward to Unicron. Still trying to clear out far cheaper toys amidst cries of being priced out. Signs of recession are all around me locally too. To pay $600, let alone multiples of $600, two years upfront was unthinkable. It's not that I wasn't interested. I would've liked to have one. I just couldn't see paying so much so far upfront or a way to mitigate it by reselling extras. No doubt we'll hear stories of a few selling for a fortune. They'll be frontpaged right here at 2005 so we can all bring in ad revenue discussing how crazy it is. But I wasn't about to endanger an already precarious financial state with that commitment or drag massive shipping cartons to RetroCon for another five years hoping to find a buyer for them.

Hope everybody that backed it is happy with what they eventually get but I think I'll live without it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    You know the second hand market will live or die once people can get there hands on Unicron, the reviews will be thorough.

• Like Like x 4
  3. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Kind of a different situation. Darksyde Megatron was produced in far fewer and limited numbers, and not everyone got a chance to just buy one, with many having no choice but to buy him through the secondary market.

I think Unicron is definitely going to sell for higher than $600, but likely cap off around $1000 in actual resale. It's impossible to say for sure and predict these things until he actually releases, though, and even then you have to give it some time, because you can't point to the sudden appearance of 15 new eBay listings for BIN $1500 and say "that's what he's going for!", you have to wait until the initial hype dies down and see how many of those listings actually sold one and at what price (if any sold at all).

• Like Like x 7
  4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We haven't seen any of that yet because the physical models on display are probably not physically capable of that yet. We can only infer based on the joints available, and assume that they'll all be toleranced properly on the final version.

• Like Like x 4
  5. bharrisfan

bharrisfan Member

the sail barge is doing pretty well on ebay last time i checked and that thing is huge.
    people will buy unicron for $900+

• Like Like x 1
  6. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...there will be reviews which look at unicron as a $600-class collectible which will receive him underwhelmingly, and there will be reviews which look at unicron as the ultimate limited-edition mainline figure which will receive him glowingly...

• Like Like x 7
  7. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    The problem with this is that lacks perspective. "Last I looked" is a single moment in time. Bigger picture averages are what matter if you want to turn toy collecting into a business. There are always outliers that sell well, or sell poorly, but mean average is what matters. I've seen Barge sales that were high (good overall profit, $250 or so post-shipping/fees), and some that were low (break even or loss).

You also have to understand that eBay isn't the end-all/be-all metric for pricing, as eBay has risks to go with the reward. Not all are are willing to take that risk, especially for $500+ items. Folks that only/overly follow eBay sales have a warped idea of real-world collectibles pricing. It's merely 1 venue.

I have no doubt that at least a couple of people will snag a $1k price. But that probably won't be the typical scenario. People banking on $1k+ as a safe bet are not much different from the people that think they too will get rich someday (as they sit in their double-wide doing nothing to make it actually happen).

I'm sure some people will poo-poo and argue this post, but it's just economics reality.

This is why I didn't buy a Unicron for myself, with the idea of "I can always sell it later if I don't like it", nor buy extras for resale. The ~2-year time gap, couple with extra risks (threat from possible 3P devaluation), made it a poor investment strategy. I'd just assume buy/sell stocks, as that ironically seemed a safer bet to me.

Those of you that bought to resell, good luck. Seriously, honestly, I hope it works for you, an extra Benjamin in your pocket. :) 

But don't think it's a given. It's not.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the high fees most people will only even out or if lucky earn 20-50.00. The unicron can’t be compared to the sail barge because the barge was the first project when not many was brave enough to pull the trigger. Also none of the massive online retailers loaded up on it at all. This unicron will be available for a very long time at bbts, entertainment earth, and countless overseas retailers who loaded up and selling for 700s shipped. Try beating those and earning a profit online. The retailers will eventually list online as well for less than your asking price of 800-900.00. People got greedy expecting this to be like the sail barge. No chance here with the massive numbers and everyone getting in on this one. Look at snake mountain. Again retailers who missed the barge loaded up and now its selling for retail. The for tf’s those Asia ko companies will probably copy this and sell it for half the price. Then your doom lol. Scalpers needs to learn the hard way once greed comes into play. I have no issues reselling things. But please do the research and look at prices and risk going into it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    BBTS is already sold-out.

• Like Like x 7
  10. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could be right but let’s see if they reload. There’s plenty around with those numbers. Star Wars and motu I wouldn’t be too worried about my main concern stocking up on these which is Asia knocking off a replica of this. They’ve done almost everything expensive that will sell and sells it for half. People actually buys them as well with those vague descriptions thinking it’s a real China released version. What expensive tf have they not ko? The record is just about 100% they will make a ko of it imo judging by what is happening with tf so far.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Oniconvoy

News Credits:
    From where?

• Like Like x 4
  12. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I can just picture shaking the box, and hearing 20lbs of plastic bits shifting like LEGO's.

• Like Like x 3
  13. edwardelric880

edwardelric880 Well-Known Member

Seems like Hasbro doesn't intend on us finding out what the final backer total was for whatever reason. Strange. You'd think once everyone's payment was submitted and cleared they'd put the correct funded percentage back on the Haslab page. I know we have the HTML code to look at but it would still be satisfying for it to be there officially.

• Like Like x 4
  14. geekatron prime

geekatron prime Same Geek Time, Same Geek Channel! TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro may be waiting until the 30 days are up for anybody to cancel their order. That way they would have a more solid total. That's the way I'm looking at it anyway.

• Like Like x 13
  15. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Not very good at being catty.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is logic in that statement

• Like Like x 4
  16. BelnadesPistol

BelnadesPistol Banned

• Like Like x 4
  17. geekatron prime

geekatron prime Same Geek Time, Same Geek Channel! TFW2005 Supporter

Hopefully I don't cause a riot using that kind of logic. You know how disheartening it can be to some that love to be illogical. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Oniconvoy

News Credits:
    B5BE7BCE-56D6-478C-9250-8B7ABC4BB7D7.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  19. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Future inventory. BBTS orders more upfront, waits until delivery to offer for sale. It's a smart marketing/PR move, gets foot traffic. There's even a chance they continue to leak out a few monthly for the next 18 months. This happened with SoC Voltron.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Oniconvoy

News Credits:
    No, it’s not. If they had more units to sell, they’d be selling them now. It makes no business sense to tell your customers that you’re sold out and to take their dollar elsewhere if you know this to be untrue.

They sold what they bought. Stop making up nonsense conspiracies to justify your view.

• Like Like x 14