Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by geekgirl, Mar 28, 2021.
New wings prototype on the left
Awesome work geekgirl and djjetstorm!
Please keep tweaking those backplate spikes so that they look more uniform.
I need to get this in my life cause this upgrade rocks!
Those wings are looking pretty great.
These add-ons are terrific! I plan on adding these to mine.
Question about the wing design: the animated movie had them as thin skeletal wings. If we are making movie accurate designs, is it possible to make them skinnier? Or will 3D printed wings be too brittle at this size? Here is a pic I snagged from the internet for reference
Here are the new Version 3 wings all done and painted up. I was going to actually make a thin version also like the animated movie but djjetstorm had said he was working on that so I will take a break for now lol and let him do the thin ones. I may do a version 4 thin down the line
Haslab Unicron separate wing rings in robot mode VERSION 3
Haslab Unicron separate wing rings in robot mode VERSION 3 by bynt-matrix
(Wings version 3 for download)
that is what I’m working on now. So you’ll have both option soon. But also if you don’t want to what. You can buy two sets of the Studio Cell upgrade ring sets and swap the parts around to make this. Barrows this picture from another group.
Think I'm gonna wait and see what djjetstorm delivers as far as skinny wings go.
Based on what I'm seeing with this other upgrade kit, they should look sharp.
Thinner version of our version 3 Wings
You know what? I really dig what's going on in this pic. I have a pair of the studio cell wings and managed to build one wing for Haslab Unicron. I think I'll just buy another, and save me the time of printing and color matching. Now If I could just buy that backplate.
Yeh man it's a great alternative and looks really good. You just have to take the first tier of the shoulder mount off and then push with a little force to pop them in place in the shoulders. I'll do a youtube vid on the process this week.
Just letting you all know I'[m still working on stuff. I have a great print for the last rendition of the kit plus I'm working on the wings. Been having printer issues so that put me a bit behind schedule.
Can you post a pic of how you've pieced together the one wing? I have two sets of the Cell extended wings but can't seem to replicate what @songrobin had done in his photo. Unless you need to cut and glue some of the pieces together.
IIRC I think a hair dryer, or other means of heat application was involved.
That was to straighten out some of the parts, but the pieces have pegs and slots, but I can't find the correct combination to extend all three "branches." Some of the pieces have pegs on both ends, instead of having a slot on one end and a peg on the other.
At best I can extend one of the three but the other two only slightly.
Oh ok I gotcha. If I discover a way b4 someone else posts it I'll share.
Thanks, maybe I misread your post. When you say you have a pair of Studio Cell wings... do you mean you have two sets of the extended wings and need to buy a third?
So I only have one set of wings (two wings in a set) so far. That's why I only have one complete long wing. There are a lot of leftover pieces from creating that wing. If I can make that out of one set I would imagine it's two sets total.
There may also be a little bit of a trick of perception because the pictures make the wings look longer than they actually are..
The way I got this built was by looking at the images and comparing and counting the spikes and bulbs and trying to make my wings match
OK. Here's a picture of the pieces disassembled. Keep in mind that the small endpiece (with the hole in it) also pops off and is removable. That being said, I've also included a male/female plug diagram to the way I assembled mine. Another reminder that this required two sets of Studio cell wings.
Lastly, I did apply heat gun to mine to straighten them out. This probably took the longest & most patience. For each of the 12 curvy pieces, I applied heat gun 3 times per piece (one near each end and once in the middle)-- for a total of 36 bends to get it as straight as I did. Hope that helps!
Separate names with a comma.