Haslab Deathsaurus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Purple Heart, Oct 27, 2022.

1. G1 Grimlock

G1 Grimlock Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I don\'t believe Deathsaurus is coming!!

2. The Rhinestone Ronin

The Rhinestone Ronin Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Couldn\'t you just buy the MMC version for the same price and get a far superior product in every way? Maybe he doesn\'t scale right... I dunno... just throwing the idea out there...

• Like Like x 2
  3. maloney4playz

maloney4playz God's Strongest Broadside hater

News Credits:
    i was expecting to have to wait until they made this guy a commander for him to come, but this is just several levels of awesome

4. Sness

Sness Autobot Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    You're assuming half the people backing this don't already own some sort of third party Deathsaurus.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Sandman0079

Sandman0079 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think they are also banking on the idea of most VS owner being easily compelled to back Deathsaurus with their new toy without an enemy of the right size and scale to fight. A smart move indeed.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably not, but it may be the reason why we're seeing all the tiers right at the start.

I've got two ordered, but I would've gotten at least three of Lio-Kaiser Hasbro....just sayin.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Did the G1 toy have chrome on the chest?

Do you think they will do the same here?

8. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get this with Deathsaurus, but I never got it with Star Saber. Star Saber is primary colors, has a sword, turns into a jet/spaceship, and looks like a Optimus Prime. He couldn't be any kid friendly (this was by design, as G1 Transformers was targeted to a much younger audience in Japan). They could have called him "Victory Prime" and had him at retail at any point in the CHUG era. They even kinda did it in Energon with 'Wing Saber", who is a riff on Star Saber and Predaking.

I do have a POTP Fanvote Conspiracy theory i've shared before. I'll repost below. Short version: Star Saber was supposed to win, and we trolled Hasbro by having Optimus Primal win, forcing them (because they needed a leader) to do him in his Orange Robot Monkey mode. And the two Fan Votes after were much more on rails and low risk because of it.

------
    I have an old theory about PotP Optimal Optimus.
    [​IMG]

The Choose the Next Prime campaign was pretty much set up to pick Star Saber or Ultra Magnus, both who easily fit the Evolution theme. I think Hasbro tried to put their finger on the scale.

First row, Hound And Arcee as primes is just... not a thing. They were sacrificial lambs for Ultra Magnus.
    Second row, though this was before Siege Shockwave, Star Saber is the only Autobot.
    Third row, it's a three way toss up. Anyone of them could win the first round, but none of them would be competitive in the second round (from Hasbro's point of view). None of them fit "evolution" pretty well, and (from Hasbro's perspective), were secondary to the outcry for a Star Saber.

Completely predictably, this was Round 2.
    [​IMG]

I think Wildcard (Deathsaurus) was there to split the vote from Optimus Primal and get Star Saber picked. That of course, didn't happen. Optimus Primal was picked.

Hasbro didn't believe in Beast Wars. In fact, they have this habit of not believing in things. THey didn't believe in Dinosaur transformers for years. When FoC was made, High Moon had to beg Hasbro to let them use the Dinobots, and Hasbro only made Voyager class Grimlock. The reception of both was great. This was followed by AoE. And all of a sudden, Hasbro believed in the Dinobots again, and now Grimlock is one of the faces of the franchise.

Hasbro gets in its business head what transformers *is* and post-Beast Machines, that meant vehicles. When they tabbled with beast formers in Cybertron and Prime: Beast Hunters, they were mostly mythic creatures and shelf warmed hard all the same. This gave beasts a bad rep. So Hasbro I don't think ever took Optimus Primal's odds seriously.

And then he got selected, because fans love Beast Wars and denied Star Saber his shot. And in a sense, this is kind of fandom trolling Hasbro. Optimus Primal didn't have a real "big form" like the other leaders. He was a beast in a non-beast line. His mold couldn't be retooled into someone else because of its distinct design. His only big form was this big Optimal Optimus design that looks everything Hasbro tried to make Transformers not be anymore. But they had to go with it. To that point, they pushed the SDCC black version of the mold months ahead of the official release of the big orange monkey. Fandom put Hasbro on the hook for am orange monkey at the expensive-to-produce and high risk leader class that had shelf warmer written all it. If you didn't believe in Beasts as marketable Transformers, is there a bigger troll?

Anyway PotP was a short line compared to the big Combiner Wars and the absolutely massive Titans Return. It had the most matured engineering of the franchise, but it lasted under a year and Hasbro was very eager to get onto Siege, which landed just months after Optimus Primal hit retail. His retail position was extremely dubious: Wave 3 leader, released in August in apparently one shipment. He's as low risk as you can get while still honoring your promise.

I think another data point in my conspiracy theory here is that the next couple of fan votes were far more on rails. For siege, they gave us three options for two packs (Spinster vs Wheelack, Needlenose vs Tracks, Mirage vs Impactor), and we've ended up getting all the figures EXCEPT Needlenose in Siege or Earthrise anyway. For Earthrise fan vote, they gave us four options and said pick one: Gnaw, Runamok, Needlenose, Shrapnel. Runamok won. Gnaw showed up in Studio Series 86. Shrapnel in Legacy. And apparently Needlenose has been ready to go for years.

Oh another thing about the Siege and Earthrise fan votes? All deluxes. Much lower risk than a leader.

In the end, it's probably a blessing we didn't get Star Saber. PotP Optimus Primal is okay. He needs DNA Design addon help and the lack of ratchets hurt him bad. He gets the job done though for what he is. Star Saber at that prince point and release would have never done the character justice, and probably closed the door to the amazing Haslab release we're getting. Heck, people tried to fanmode Commander class Siege into a "virtual Star Saber" in terms of mass and parts count and transformation scheme and it *just* worked. Doing him as an Evolution figure would have been very compromised.

For whatever reason - maybe a changing of the guard at Hasbro - they decided to take a risk on Beasts again in Kingdom. Kingdom though was nearly 2/3rdsG1, and now Beast Wars if you count repacks, and the only "expensive" (risky) Beast was Bw Megatron.. Commander, Titan, and 3 of the 4 leaders were all G1. Hasbro was happy to try beasts, but they weren't taking the risk. Of course, beasts ended up being extremely popular.

Anyway it's all just a fan theory laced with circumstantial evidence. But I think that if they did re-release Optimal Optimus, it would be a straight re-issue, like when they put CW Devastator back into production years later and released it through Amazon, to face off against Omega Supreme. Or when did additional runs of the Rainmaker 3 pack during Earthrise. If they were going to take a nother stab at Optimal Optimus, it would probably be an all new mold. They weren't shy about revisiting Rodimus Prime between PotP and Kingdom. But I don't think it's likely. I think Hasbro is happy to do beasts so long as they don't incur big risks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 19
  9. Explosion_Rex

Explosion_Rex Well-Known Member

I'm not crying... YOU'RE CRYING!

• Like Like x 1
  10. maloney4playz

maloney4playz God's Strongest Broadside hater

News Credits:
    MMC is more expensive and chances are this guy is getting all the tiers unlocked. so you get more for less by going with this guy

• Like Like x 11
  11. SpaceWarp

SpaceWarp well-known member, with her own little corner here

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Pinterest:
    Deathsaurussssss he\'s long overdueeeee, he\'s my favorite Japanese Transformers, and maybe even my favorite Transformers Villain (he\'s not much of a villain tbh) 

i hope this succeed! 

• Like Like x 3
  12. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    Those are some fairly shitty tiers

• Like Like x 1
  13. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He looks like he has alot of play value. I think even people that don't know who he is will find it a fun thing to own.

14. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    VS did 13k

DS needs 17k for all unlocks (throne and stand)

4k difference.

15. IronEnder17

IronEnder17 Average Everything Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Hasbro can't keep doing this to me

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. JazzAlert13

JazzAlert13 #1 Starscream Fanboy

News Credits:
    What? VS did like 26-7k. I think Deathsaurus will easily be reached.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sandman0079

Sandman0079 Well-Known Member

Not official products doesn't count in my book. More power to you if your opinion differ, but that's how it is for me and others. The "it's not the original toy" is not a good argument because i want a modern interpretation of the character, the more faithful to the anime the better.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno. Not quite as thrilled for this one. Also way too much sitting on my credit card right now. VS was same price for 2 figures and i personally see better value. And VS hasnt even shipped yet

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  19. Fblthp

Fblthp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well they have stated before that Optimus Prime will never be a Haslab release and that's most likely because he's Optimus Prime. He's guaranteed to sell no matter what because he's one of the faces of the franchise so Hasbro is definitely confident with releasing whatever version they make of him in mainline. I do agree though, we have nobodies and even OC donut steal characters who received pretty good toys in mainline so the rules isn't strictly enforced. But they were manageable from memory and weren't as big as Deathsaurus (size wise).

20. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Different designs to the two of them, plus a Victory character being released off this side is always promising for more of them to come along in the mainline