Haslab Deathsaurus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Purple Heart, Oct 27, 2022.

1. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Being a Michigan person, who works around boaters all the time, I've NEVER heard this usage of it. I'm not sure it's a ''Michigan thing.''

• Like Like x 7
  2. TheException78

TheException78 Living shitpost

Instagram:
    I think I'd name him "Cute Snuggly Little Boat Man"

This is why I don't work for Hasbro

• Like Like x 6
  3. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tbh, I feel the same way about Slag as I do Boater - (by and large) neither one means anything negative in (American) English.

Also, when a popular character was given the name close to 40-some years ago and it wasn't a bad word, it kinda feels like that should basically be one of the accepted definitions of the term by which other uses are judged, and not the other way around. The whole anachronistic reviewing of word use in times past to find more stuff to censor, is often taking things too far.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

Iunno, feels a little myopic to go to the extreme of "because this word was used as the name of a character in a toyline decades ago that some people care about today, we should totally ignore the widespread generic uses of it with some degree of derogatory definition, even at the same time it was initially used as the name of a toy, in countries other than the US" when Hasbro's not like, going back and changing the name of the character in new releases of past media. Basically: I can understand why Hasbro doesn't want to be effectively selling a toy named "Whore" in some countries, and thus tweaks the name of the character to something that is not that.

I don't think they should change Boater's name, of course, since literally all we've heard about any derogatory use is just one guy with one forum post.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Omegaclaw

Omegaclaw HGFDJUYIYFTDRGYUIYGFTDX

News Credits:
    Who cares, a name on a box isn’t gonna stop me from calling Slag “Barron Von Urinehole” or whatever

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
  6. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well sure, if you completely invert the scenario and exaggerate it in the opposite direction, my perspective would suddenly seem irrational. :) 

I understand that too, and the way it has been handled before was preferable: They give it an alternate name in that specific region or country. And the rest of us are able to go on experiencing the completely innocuous name as it was originally given, without having our experience altered and the character's history disjointed for the sake of a definition that's not even relevant to us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheException78

Instagram:
    I actually kinda like Slug as a name. Probably because the only real time the character has been relevant were in comics where he was using that name.

8. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

I do think that that strategy doesn't work so well these days since we're a lot more connected. Off the top of my head, weren't the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Beast Wars renamed Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and Beasties in the UK back in the early 90s because the words "ninja" and "wars" were "inappropriate"? I do think that if the UK attempted something like that these days, they'd be laughed at.

In fact, I remember some time in the heyday of the original Power Rangers that the country Malaysia censored the word "morphin'" because the censors were afraid kids would associate "morphin'" with the drug "morphine" and shoot themselves up hoping to get superpowers. I recall the censors getting mocked about it, partially because the censorship was so clumsy. The word Morphin would be blurred out on the title screen, and every time the word was uttered there was a conspicuous muting. "Let's go, Rangers! It's ________ TIME!"

Plus, there's always the fact that nowadays Hasbro tends to print their packaging in multiple languages, so why bother giving a character a region specific name and have to go through the trouble of printing different packaging? It's just not worth the hassle.

Speaking of which, wasn't there some talk before about how if Deathsaurus had been a Legacy retail product like was initially planned, Hasbro'd probably have to use a name like Deszaras for fear of people being offended by him having "Death" in his name?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jmaster99

Jmaster99 Well-Known Member

I'd've used mine, but my credit is nearly maxed out

10. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

There is something wrong with society if the Transformer name Boater offends someone. I just thought the name was boring, not offensive.

• Like Like x 6
  11. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shoreline would have been better. For the ambulance I would have gone with Stat. I mean Pipo? That’s the best name Hasbro could come up with?

12. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

Boater and Pipo are their original names, and since the selling point of the Victory Saber and Deathsaurus sets is how they're of Japan-only characters it's understandable why they'd stick with the original names unless there's some compelling reason to change them.

Nah, what brought this up was someone noting that they'd heard the word "boater" be used as a pejorative, but that's apparently only a thing in a very specific part of the US.

But then the conversation got into "at what point should a name be changed because it can be offensive?", and naturally Slag being renamed Slug came up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

It's not "the best name Hasbro could come up with", it's the name somebody at Takara came up with 30+ years ago. Specifically, it's Pīpō (ピーポー), or the Japanese otomatopoeia for an ambulance siren.

Yes, Takara named him Weewoo.

• Like Like x 13
  14. TheException78

Instagram:
    Nah chief that name is Takara's handy work.

15. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I stand corrected.

16. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    All this hubbub about Boater, and here i am thinking about Erector...

0d45095f9269d37dca997ac7067d82ff.jpg

• Like Like x 24
  17. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'll ask my Michigan friend if that's even a Michigan thing...

18. Hot Rod 1986

Hot Rod 1986 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ErectorMeme-1.jpg

• Like Like x 26
  19. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    Hasbro can make a new Erector, but because of trademarks belonging to Erector Sets, Hasbro couldn't call him Erector, and at that point I'm sure the reason for people wanting him is gone.

20. Robomaster726

Robomaster726 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well... there is always the option to call him Autobot Erector. Erectortron. Erectorbot. Erectorcon. Possibilities are endless.