Haslab Deathsaurus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Purple Heart, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 Triple changing menace

News Credits:
    Z was
    Not stupid at all I feel and have the same mentality. I hope it cracks all the tiers much like how Victory Saber did

2. Brooklyn Convoy

Brooklyn Convoy Banned

A simple answer would’ve sufficed rather than three people having an aneurism over someone asking a valid question. TFW at its finest

Jesus Christ…

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  3. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    So Deathsaurus…he’s neat
    Agreed there will definitely be a spike when we get international orders added and colored pictures.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

Do we have any idea how many of the vs orders were from the Japan market?

5. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Not that I’m aware of no but I gotta assume it’s a fair bit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    And all of those additional stretch goals are funded by the additional backers needed to reach those goals. That's literally how any crowdfunding campaign works. If Deathsaurus is going to take a loss at 9k backers they're not going to set the goal at 9k backers. Likewise all of those stretch goals aren't being added out of the goodness of their hearts.

A failed HasLab is no different than when R&D invests time and money in to a project and it ends up not testing well enough with potential customers to move forward to production. The money is written off as R&D/market research and the lessons learned get baked in to future projects.

The only changes you'd see behind the scenes if too many projects fail is a behind the scenes of who does the R'ing and D'ing. Marvel just had it's first failure, but they're coming off two hugely successful projects so why not take a big swing with Robbie. Likewise, Star Wars is coming off two failures in a row after pivoting away from the hugely successful Vintage projects. So you could see them head that way again since that seems to be the sweet spot for obtaining funding.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the tag. Will work on this later today! I hope more countries get the chance to order it.

• Like Like x 7
  8. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Yup. International orders (and presumably 3P partners) seemed to trickle in a couple of times a week. We'll probably cross the halfway point tonight at some point and just keep steadily climbing with a few big pops as those numbers get added.

It'll be slower going without the stretch reveals to help goose turnout, but there's still plenty of developmental milestones. And if they can get Star Saber out to enough people before the window closes I think that's gonna be the biggest help.

• Like Like x 4
  9. PloverNutter

PloverNutter TFW2005: We're buying them but we don't like them.

News Credits:
    Kind of. Due to a weird scheduling mishap the TTMall orders didn't open until the very last day of the VS campaign instead of on the intended date of 9/28. Because of this we know that all of the Japanese orders were in the last big backer dump on the very last day, which was around 5000 backers. Now this doesn't mean all 5000 were Japanese orders though as they were still adding orders from other international sellers at the time.

10. Zawicki

Zawicki Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight

News Credits:
    The only thing Deathsaurus is missing is that purple electricity. Get on it 3rd party.
    225px-Deszaras_Victory_Intro.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  11. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You're right! Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will update our story.

• Like Like x 3
  12. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I should double back to this:

If Deathsaurus funds but maybe not quite at Saber levels...they may stick with something "safer" like Liokaiser for the next project. But if Deathsaurus blows up like Saber it's possible they put that one in their pocket and take a wild stab with something different similar to what Star Wars and Marvel did after their first two successes.

It's riskier, but I think Pretender Vehicles could be an interesting project. Not sure how much they'd cost, but a fully transformable vehicle with 6" figure compatibility and a 6" transforming pilot included could be something worth trying.

Between HISS and Hellcharger, they seem interested in testing those out. And they're batting .500. And with RED selling well enough to keep getting new waves they could test it as a way to give RED something to interact with as well. Even if any retail versions are scaled back to be more like Action Master vehicles.

13. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Definitely.

14. Jmaster99

Jmaster99 Well-Known Member

PRIMUS CONFIRMED ALL ELSE IS A LIE!!!

15. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An aneurism... :sly: 

Their replies were civil and no longer than two sentences. The latter two explaining why it takes this long and how the wait time could be worse. Maybe a break from the internet could do you some good, seeing as you can't stand a normal interaction with a fellow board user.

• Like Like x 12
  16. PloverNutter

PloverNutter TFW2005: We're buying them but we don't like them.

News Credits:
    I think they would do a full Pretender like Thunderwing before they go to Pretender Vehicles. Pretender shells are already a gamble. Going straight to simple bot with a car might be too big a gamble right away

• Like Like x 3
  17. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Unless they look at Thunderwing as someone who would fit in to Commander already. But as with the HISS Tank and Hellcharger we saw they were willing to take that risk. It paid off big with the Tank and fell flat with Hellcharger. The question is more if their success thus far (assuming Deathsaurus succeeds at the same level of Saber) would give them wiggle room to take that risk now.

Because you also have to look at HasLab as market research. Now that they know what works, they may want to pivot to something a little riskier because they want to get a feel for what the market might support for other lines. A success or failure with some sort of vehicle would potentially provide valuable info as to where they could go with the line broadly or even RED specifically.

And, yes, I do think RED has proven itself successful enough that you could TRY vehicles at some point. Even if you go to retail with basic vehicles like the old Action Master ones. But for HasLab I'm talking about transforming vehicles with Generations engineering that support a 6" scaled figure (so we're talking RED or some deluxes) and comes with a transforming compatible 6" pilot.

Because, and this is another key thing: If they can find the recipe for a commercially viable transforming vehicle that supports 6" figures...they've got Marvel, Star Wars, Fortnite, TF, D&D, Joes etc that could all pilot it. It opens the door for lots of crossover marketing if they can get their foot in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've read on this thread about the failed haslab rancor project and of course the then failed reva lightsaber project. I kept an optic on the Rancor one. First of all I didn't expect it to succeed. The Rancor is just not that big a draw and the tiers including a cardboard backdrop was a joke. Oola, the Rancor keeper and luke should've been a given with him. It just had no appeal and failed. The timing of it was strange too. Had they waited a few months they've could've redesigned the Rancor into the Rancor from tbobf and have the likes of fett, mando grogu and a mos espa backdrop as tiers. It might have had more of a success

Reva just wasn't a popular character in kenobi, in fact a lot of fans really disliked her and took potshots at the actress herself which was typical of the sw fan base and of course it failed too. The bobf throne room is something that some fans would fit the haslab category but wasn't. I'm looking forward to the set but hasbro decided not to crowdfund it and it will receive a sept 2023 release if not sooner.

Because of the victory Saber success hasbro looked at his opposite number and went with it. Sure who is optimus prime without megatron, galvatron without magnus or victory Saber without dezarus?. It just made sense for hasbro to follow it up with this guy and so far it's working. There's been a lot of talk on here as to where dezarus was and when where we getting him. We'll hasbro have listened and given us the chance to get him.

As a sidenote I'd love a haslab god ginrai, a haslab overlord, an omega sentinel but a mainstream titan metrotitan using the thrilling 30 metroplex mold.

But that's just me.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    HasLabs are big swings that test out different market features - my thought with Overlord is, "What if we test marketing a HasLab around a current mainline release?" That is, open up HasLab Overlord right after announcing preorders for Titan PMOP/Ginrai to see if that creates more of a marketing push (alternatively, open the HasLab first, then announce PMOP that's coming anyway mid-campaign).

This is related to another point I think is salient - while it's true (as you have said) that HasLabs are not designed to be guaranteed successes, it is not true that Hasbro would be happy with a string of failures or continue doing HasLabs that are all R&D and no payout. That burden will not be shared equally across the brands - it sure sounds like Disney is a pain in the ass to work with and they can only bleed GI Joe fans so much. I expect that there is more pressure on the TF team to come up with big winners than there would be for the Star Wars team, for example.

With that in mind, I think a very expensive and complicated (R&D-wise) offering like Liokaiser is probably less likely after the recent string of failures from other properties (despite how much I want him to be next). In a different climate at Hasbro, where Reva's lightsaber funded easily and Ghost Rider hit 20K orders, sure, take a big swing with Liokaiser. However, since they're not in that position, I think the next HasLab from the TF team will be comparatively safe and straightforward - not too expensive, not too complicated, not too far out. A $190-225 Overlord with a big base mode with ER-ramp connections, height scaled to be imposing compared to God Ginrai but not comically large, a flight stand, two God/Powermasters, three bonus -masters if we hit some threshold, and maybe an IDW-based head or other minor comic-based accessories more or less meets my expectations on what Hasbro will do. Maybe not specifically Overlord (Thunderwing as a full Pretender with Marvel and IDW design cues would be another example), but a single relatively straightforward "big boi" who is popular but whose size might straddle the Commander and Titan pricepoints (Just bring back Supreme class at $140, you cowards!!)

• Like Like x 8
  20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I know you are pitching Pretender vehicles. But let me counter that, if Victory seems like a winner for Haslab, they may opt for a Blue Bacchus/Black Shadow set. Pretender vehicles, while kinda neat, probably wouldn't have the profile needed for confidence from Hasbro. But if fans are interested in continuing their Victory collection, you would get something similar with those BB/BS WITH a dose of completionism added on.

• Like Like x 2