HasCon?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by T-Hybrid, Apr 18, 2016.

1. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *raises hand* I'm looking at going to TFCon to continue to meet w/ friends whom I only saw in person @ BotCon, meet/hear VAs, and in the dealer room - I will look for interesting 3P stuff, but also to fill in the gaps in my Official aka Hasbro (or TT) collection.

As I stated up-thread, despite living outside a major city, and having 2 Targets and 2 WMs near me - my region is one of the last to get new TFs, and my hometown sucks even worse. There's a board member I regularly hit up/will let me know when there's something interesting available in the multiple Targets & WMs in his area. But even then, he/I miss things or the toys either never appear or fly in & out of stores so fast they're missed.

So for some of us, TFCon - Toronto or Chicago - is the current planned meet-up w/ friends made over the years at BotCon. Some of those friends got burned by the FP credit card hacks, so they refused to attend further BCs & only go to TFCon(s).

THAT is part of why I go to Cons - of any variety. It's the panels, as well as spending time w/ friends that I don't see any other time, bonding over our shared geekiness where we all 'get it' to some degree, as opposed to our "grown up" lives where folks wonder What the Hell Is Wrong With You? that we still collect toys & wear printed Tshirts.

2. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even TFCon is more than TFs, especially on the Sunday, at least in Toronto. I don't even sell 3rd Party products, and I did a ton of business on the Sunday as a dealer last year.

The panels and displays are mostly 3rd party oriented, but the average attendee isn't running away from non-TF goods.

3. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I fail to see how that's any worse than some of the attempts at cosplay at BotCon, or ANY convention.

I've seen better & worse at BC; better & worse at Dragon*Con, GenCon and AwesomeConDC. And let's not start on what I've seen at AnimeUSA (ironically, mostly good).

4. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a lifelong comic-collecting, Transformer collecting, gamer chick...

I get both vastly amused and rather torqued about stereotypes based on little more than gender.

Every.Single.Kind.Of.Convention that is not of a business-orientation, has a fair amount of unwashed masses (note: it's mostly guys). I have my theories why that is, but only because it does support some parts of those stereotypes. If anything, it seems that the stinky masses (and I mean like 11AM nevermind the stench by 4pm) seem to be increasing across the board.

5. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Basically outside of my job I don't feel like a geek. Granted I wear a t-shirt saying "Geek Squad" and I can talk about comic books and video games at work. I work in tech industry and dabble some in the art business. I mean it is a social environment where even I do not feel weird or I am actually at work or explaining how a computer works. I feel at the TFCon I just a normal person and average person at that. To me that is priceless. I prefer that as well.

6. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am eager to see you then.

7. Excelliont

Excelliont Active Member

Eh, botcon's demise doesn't really affect me. Last years TFcon Toronto was my first con ever and I had already planned on sticking with it. Although it must be said, despite never having gone to a Botcon, it's sad to see such a long running tradition end. I really hope hasbro doesn't just try to throw Transformers into a melting plot with other franchises and call it a day after 2 decades of a dedicated convention. Even if I'll never go to an official convention, it's just not cool to do that to a such a dedicated fanbase.

8. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    BREAKING NEWS: Adult who obsesses over children's toyline doesn't want to hang out with adults who obsess over children's toyline.

-------

HA! The next step would be Mach Kick as Twilight Sparkle.

9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that's great, and for the record, TFCon will likely be my Transformers con of choice from now on, as well. But I probably won't go as a dealer anymore, as the effort isn't worth the profit. I have no 3rd party products to sell, and TFCon attendees seem more interested in 3rd party than official, by and large. It would take some convincing for me to set up there again.

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not sure its a smart move to name it something that close to "Has Been"

11. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 I HAVE THE POWER!

News Credits:
    Or maybe a good toy.

12. blurrr-ed

blurrr-ed Well-Known Member

haha I do apologise for the gender assumption. Force of habit on this board sometimes.

Personally I've never been to an American convention and I doubt I ever will, as a bit of an Auto Assembly veteran I do tend to agree with your point, assuming I am reading it correctly.

For me, the fandom tend to be an awfully vocal, defensive bunch online, but a largely toothless, insecure bunch in person. I certainly don't mean to generalise, there are many lovely people with decent hygiene at the convention I go to, but the more set in their ways, critical ones online, often tend to be the most spineless and most in need of some kind of adult supervision in person.

So whipping themselves up into any sort of panic/rage over bronies attending an event is all well and good but in the long run I think...

1) TF fans won't do a damn thing, on the whole they are too scared of conflict. The more vocal the person, the smaller the grapefruits in person I find.
    2) TF fans will attend regardless because TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYS (same as any other convention)
    3) The reality will not match the ridiculous ideas in their heads.

Fact is, Bronies have been attending Auto Assembly for a few years in small numbers. They get left alone, they do their thing, nobody gets hurt because nobody is quite the badass they think they are behind a keyboard and deep down, they're just enjoying their toys so live and let live.

13. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    So that starting doing a convention featuring Transformers, G.I.Joe, JEM, My Little Pony, Mr.PotatoHead, etc. Dos that mean we've will had Cobra vs. Ponies Cosplayers act fight scene?

14. CrimsonMagnus

CrimsonMagnus Well-Known Member

Nah guys, I think this is just hasbro portraying themselves as a decepticon

15. TCJJ

TCJJ 121% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Well that sure is a tacky name.

16. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I Can Has Con?

17. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't realize TFcon changed it up on Sunday.

There are other fan cons as well, CybFest NW, Dairycon, TFexpo where fans can meet up at.

I can't forget the HEAVILY promoted NJCC, which seems to have very little to do with Transformers aside from a few door prizes. :rolleyes2 

18. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 I HAVE THE POWER!

News Credits:
    Hascon also give us the chance to get stuff like this...

[​IMG]

19. Formerfan

Formerfan Well-Known Member

If this is an All-Hasbro con, I wonder if they would have exclusives, panels, displays, etc... on their licensed lines as well such as Star Wars and Marvel Legends?

20. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technically TFCon runs Fri-Sun, but they also run Sunday as a general toy show. I think that one is advertised as "Ontario Collector's Con". I can't always keep them straight though.

Not sure if they do the same at the US ones, possibly not since there's likely way more traffic to drive TFCon through the whole weekend.