Hasbro's instructions... Not really a rant, more bemused than anything.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So today I got Generations Red Alert.

I already have Universe Sunstreaker and Sideswipe, so I'm familiar with the sculpt and all.

But after transforming him for a few times, I took a look at the instructions.

For those who don't know, the lineart for Universe Sideswipe's instructions was simply recycled from Sunstreaker's instructions, depicting not only Sunstreaker's head sculpt, but also his transformation (Sideswipe's upper body should be rotated 180 degrees at the waist, and his fists are swapped to accommodate this).

Now, Red Alert's instructions finally depict the correct head sculpt and transformation... and they even show how to attach the supercharger engine to the gun, because the lightbar on the roof makes it impossible to attach the supercharger to the back in robot mode.

The instructions do not, however, show the lightbar.

So basically, Sideswipe came with Sunstreaker's instructions again, and Red Alert comes with what should have been Sideswipe's instructions. Heh.

This is hardly the first time Hasbro's instructions didn't reflect a retool accordingly. I recall Alternators Battle Ravage (the Corvette) depicting the Tracks head sculpt in his instructions.

On a related topic, I've seen people suggest that the alternate head sculpts seen in recent Generations and Reveal the Shield instructions (Cliffjumper's head in WFC Bumblebee's instructions, Skullgrin's head in Darkmount's instructions, Senator Ratbat's head in Scourge's instructions, Junkheap's head in Wreck-Gar's instructions, Hardhead's head in Warpath's instructions etc.) are supposed to be "previews" of upcoming retools.

Based on the above evidence, I hardly doubt so. It's just Hasbro's instructions department not paying attention to which instruction lineart is supposed to come with which iteration of the sculpt. Case in point: Generations Thunderwing's instructions originally depicted Sky Shadow's head and chest, but a running change semi-fixed this by at least depicting the correct head (but still the wrong chest, and the Sky Shadow head's antennas can still be seen in vehicle mode), and Warpath's instructions depict the correct Warpath head in some steps.

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

AT least they are still better than DOTM instructions. The picture idea was good but they print the pictures so small its hard to make things out. Thats why i try without the instructions for the most part.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    They might be confused between versions of the mold when it comes to instructions, but the existence of Cliffjumper and Sky Shadow tends to prove the "leaked" previews are indeed coming.

4. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I'm not questioning that the instructions effectively tease upcoming retools.

I just doubt it's intentional.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they've said it was intentional at botcon last year

6. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Which I think is more of a "Yeah, er, no harm done, right? Er, enjoy the preview!" Because if it was intentional, why would they try to "fix" it with Thunderwing?

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Because they can.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    when did they try to "fix" it with thunderwing? he has sky shadow's head and chest in there

9. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Think your all missing the obvious here.

Big company lots of instructions, changing one name is lots easier than changing the drawings on the fly or paying someone to do it twice.

Intentional I doubt it, every last dime in pocket? I'm betting on that lol

10. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    At least you could transform it according to the instructions. I remember when I got TM2 Sonar, it was impossible to transform according to the instructions.

11. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've also noticed some other differences with the instructions. Like Generations Scourge. Everyone agrees (for the most part) that his wings should be opened to look more like G! scourge. But the instructions show them closed, BUT they also show the other head in that frame. So my thought is they meant Scourge to have open wings and the later guy with the new head with closed wings.

Wreck Gar's instructions also show his "tire shield" in two positions (with different heads in the frames) so I think a) it is accidental, and b) they intend slightly different transformations for each character that the mold represents.

12. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Meh, I like the wings closed up, so I must be in the minority

13. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I have two Thunderwings. They have different instructions.

It's a really half-hearted "fix", as he still has Sky Shadow's chest, and the "antennas" from Sky Shadow's head still show in vehicle mode.

Attached Files:

14. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    Great, a variant you can't find unless you open the toy up. Do you still have the cardbacks? Do you know if there is a different stamp on them to distinguish?

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Nope, I trashed them a long time ago.

The only reason I got two Thunderwings in the first place was because the first one was incomplete, and the seller sent me a second one at his own expense.

16. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    OK then I have another question. Are you sure they are both the US version, or are they UK version?