Hasbro's Influence on the Films

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JohnRedcorn, Jun 3, 2014.

1. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am curious to know, how much creative license does Hasbro have in these movies? My hunch tells me that Hasbro is probably pulling most of the strings in the latest movie with inclusion of the Dinobots and maybe more robot characterization. I am also noticing some plot ideas and characters that might have been brought over from Transformers Prime where Hasbro probably had some audience analytical data to drive the creative decision. Thoughts?

2. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

What plot ideas and characters?
    They probably do have the fingers deeply involved, but Bay has the final vote.
    The question is what is the percentage of the earnings from the movies(like marvel and dc), since toy sales are not up to the expectations(earlier movies).

3. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    * Like the bulkhead and Prowl (Animated) influenced characters
    * Humans engineering Transformers

4. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Animated is not Prime.
    Human engineered TF's existed before Prime

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some aspects are likely Hasbro influenced such as the Transorganic wolves which might loosely set up what is effectively the sequel to Transformers Prime; Beast Hunters or the other animated Transformers cartoons that fill the gap between the fourth and fifth film.

I'm guessing Hasbro pressured Bay on the inclusion of the Dinobots as Bay previously stated his dislike for them.

As for the animated references though they could be coincidental however given the writer is Ehren Kruger who took inspiration from several of the original cartoon episodes when writing for ROTF and DOTM I cant be entirely sure whether these were added at the request of Hasbro or just part of the script originally.

6. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

Considering how Hasbro owns Transformers it only makes sense that they have a say in the movies, but it's up to Bay to put them in or not.

7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Hasbro more than likely has a big say on what they want on the films unfortunately. Bay sure has his share of ideas along with his writing team but in the end transformers is a brand owned by Hasbro.

I bet they're the one's that insisted on a samurai transformer but who gave him that face in the final edit?

8. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

I honestly don't know.

9. ArmadaSentinel

ArmadaSentinel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro suggest things that they want to push for marketing reasons, for example the dinobots here, to continue the 'beast' theme as well as the dinobots resurgence through FOC. However, I think most of it is down to Bay and his design time, with Hasbro only vetoing certain things, such as Swoop in AoE, who Hasbro made Bay change his name to Strafe because his design was too far removed from the original character.

Interestingly, seeing as Strafe is actually much closer to his original character than other nameslaps such as Skids or Crosshairs, I'm led to believe that Hasbro has plans for the Swoop character that they don't want to contradict with the movie (similar to how Ironhide was replaced with Bulkhead in TFP to avoid confusion regarding his death in DOTM).

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Dinobots were all Hasbro's doing. Without them Bay wouldn't have bothered.