Hasbro, where are my modern G1 Dinobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Megasquared, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I don't mean to be rude, I honestly don't, but you just invalidated any sort of comment you can make regarding idw. You don't read it or pay attention to that particular fiction by your own admission. Idw is also the primary fiction relating to the classics/generations line of figures. Said fiction is heavily teasing beasts not powermasters. The arguably most prominent powermasters/godmasters would be Optimus prime/ginrai who has already been redone as a head/titanmaster and overlord who is rumored to be released as a leader class figure in Titans return, meaning he will be a head/titanmaster. To ignore idw is to ignore the largest clues as to the direction hasbro will take the generations line.

• Like Like x 1
  2. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Dinoking is a potential Dinobot repaint but then either he's no longer a combiner or the Dinobots become one.

Which is why I'm hunkering down in preparation of that reality.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    wait hes not reading the idw comics, serously start, no dont argue go find some free comic book website and read and read and read my god everything that has been before when it comes to g1 is bland compared to it, though to be honest g1 was a 80s cartoon and is most defently a product of its era.

read the comics serously

4. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Which is what? Am I not permitted to debunk all assumptions of who I am, while adding humor to the reasons why I was happier walking into TakaraTomy's main building with the main intent to have a few questions answered... On one of their most humid days of the year... And with the sheer irony of having one of my questions tied to the Dinobot's last new member? :lol 

Which, by the way, has me like your idea by using the Dinoforce (Dino Force?) as a blue print to reviving the Dinobots.

Ironically, nobody said anything about "Beast Wars not selling well" as they said that the "beats-types do not sell in their area". More ironically, you personally made this about anything but the Dinobots. But... Whatever. The mods will get angry after the remove off this off-topic nonsense. :lol 

5. Fenrys

News Credits:
    The assertion that beasts don't sell well is inherently tied to the dinobots since they are beasts.

6. Fenrir Zero

I believe you when you say this.

But I also know that the original franchise was created by Marvel Comics, and hints of this process being repeated have reappeared. Most specifically with the Thrilling 30 comic issues that spotlight the characters based on said figure. Namely... Hasbro produces the toys, and has a staff member (from XXX comics publication) create the fiction behind the product, and Hasbro markets it as such. In return, the staff member passes on what has been approved to the editorial team, and they base their stories around the fiction that Hasbro approved on.

So unless things have changed... We will not know until 2017 or 2018. And what matters today is the fact that the Dinobots have been demoted from Action Masters to Titan Master heads. Which I do not like, and not just because I tend to wear a G1 Grimlock t-shirt to bed -- I mean -- ...and not just because I wish TakaraTomy would take a chance and create "Headmaster Dinobots" as a means of continuing the Headmasters trilogy.

7. shadowbug

shadowbug Well-Known Member

An update to the G1 Dinobots is one of the biggest holes in CHUG collecting Hasbro/Takara need to fill. Like most others I would prefer them to be on the larger scale; but truth be told, if Sludge got nixed I would not shed a tear. With 5 members all being voyager or leader that would fill up waves pretty fast, without leaving much room for Decepticons or potential Primes that might show up. I can see Swoop being deluxe of course, though a voyager could give us an impressive wingspan. I would be open to dropping Sludge and adding a new deluxe sized raptor or something, keeping Grimlock as the biggest member. Or they can just sell the whole team in a boxset and I would be super stoked for that.

As far as the gimmick they might be stuck with, I would have to say headmaster if anything, we already are getting 2 heads for some reason, and the original toys had cockpits due to their diaclone origins. I see Dinoking being thrown around as a potential redeco, indicating they could be combiners, but the original Dinoking was a Monstructor redeco, so I don't see Hasbro/Takara straying from that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fenrir Zero

And said by who? The fans I have been listening to, as well as the consensus of those who have CHUG collections, are saying that they would buy them if these meet their standards. Plus, the non-G1, non-movie types are also hot sellers. And the only time I have seen this be a valid claim, it was the movie Dinobots. :lol 

But seriously... Series accurate updates are among the holiest of wishes among us pre-Beast Wars fans. So my conclusion is that those who lumped them with the "beast" sub-group got into the franchise around 1996 or later. Which explains this being seen as factual. :lol ​

[​IMG]

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    And don't get me wrong, I'm all for beasts being released as well. I even hope there are more BW things done for all the BW fans. However, I'm resigned to the fact that certain styles of TFs don't sell at retail as well. If this means seas of Skullcrunchers, then it will. IIRC the AOE Dinos didn't exactly fly off the shelves either.

Also me bringing up BW had to do with the MP line, which I believe wasn't yours.

10. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Don't resign yourself. Think positive. Think about the generation of new TF fans that think beastly TFs are perfectly normal thanks to the Prime and RID TV shows.

11. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Thats a good point not only is the comics pointing towards a beast theme same is the current tv show and the movie seems to be doing the same as well, i think next year is going to be the year the of the beasts

12. Fenrir Zero

Yeah... About that. The appearances of the "beasts" in the Transformers Legends manga are actually humans who were inflected with a disease called "Transformers Sickness". It is a side-effect of the Zamojin's "Legends World". And right now, they are using this as a plot device to follow-up on the events that happened in Super-God Masterforce. Which has included some interesting revelations! Such as where Broadcast/Twincast came from, how Skull became a narcoleptic, why Ultra Magnus joined the Destron side, what Alpha Trion has been doing, and Fortress Maximus' weakness. :p 

But also... The April, 2016 leaks dictate that might not be the entire case. However, I am just hoping that TakaraTomy will make Headmaster versions of both Grimlock and Lio Convoy.

13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Isnt the legends manga just random crap

14. Fenrir Zero

Ummm... No. Just no.

The combination of what was shown on their website and the toys did the following:

- Introduce the Legend World, which was created by the Zamojin.
    - Introduce Legend World humans who contracted a disease that turned them into Beast era Transformers.
    - Have Skyfire become Jetfire, which concludes the debate on who was "G-2" Jetfire.
    - Introduce a few new characters to the JG1 universe.
    - Introduce the Wreckers to the JG1 universe.
    - Update a few characters from the JG1 universe.
    - Resolve the plot hole tied to Starscream's return, which was in Super Link.
    - Reveal Windblade's role in the Legends World.
    - Bring Slipstream to the Legends World.
    - Give "post-G-2" Megatron a new role.
    - Allow Nightbird to have a role that is connected to a "G-2" era rivalry.
    - Explain how Ultra Magnus came back to life.
    - Explain what "post-G-2" Alpha Trion is doing after becoming a Reconfiguration Matrix.
    - Give Skids a new role.
    - Reveal that Scorponok survived the Masterforce Wars.
    - Detail what the new transectors/drone companions are like for the Headmasters of Evil.
    - Have Wipe turn Skull into a narcoleptic.
    - Add details to the Targetmaster/drone companions.
    - Reveal that Twincast was originally from the Binaltech World.
    - Reveal Fortress Maximus' weakness.

And much more. Because I will admit that portions tied to the first 20 figures might not be great. But everything tied to 21 and up is my favorite among all of the JG1 fiction. Plus, the exclusives gave a hint that a sequel to CarRobots is possible, as well as a proper cap-off for Beast Wars Returns (Beast Machines).

15. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    So... you take those but ignore idw...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Umm...logic maybe? People in this thread, yourself included, have stated beasts don't sell. That is an absolute and a blanket statement. The dinobots turn into dinosaurs, a type of animal, and fall under the category of beast transformers. Following the logic of the beasts don't sell blanket statement, dinobots wouldn't sell. I am not the one promoting this viewpoint, I love beasts, but you are arguing in circles and trying to make others feel inferior to you absolutely dismissing their theories and viewpoints even when backed up by more real world evidence than yours.

17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    As I've said, hasbro steers the franchise not Takara. The legends manga is reactionary to what hasbro decides to do. Do they make it work? Sure I guess, but when trying to figure out where the franchise is going takaras story is worthless, you have to look at hasbros works

18. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Is he still going? All I can see are the responses. I can only imagine what pearls of wisdom he's imparting.

19. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is some sound logic. I grow weary of your ridiculous ranting and whining.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Its a doofy comedy comic designed for them to make jokes with characters and maybe fill in a plot hole here or there. How this is your 'favourite Japanese G1' fiction when we've got Straxus altering Metrotitan's mind and actually giving him an origin I do not understand. Or "Kakuryu joins the Autobots and becomes a Dinobot"

Regardless though, I'm going to reiterate it: The Dinobots are just too samey. Its the same reason we didn't get all of the Aerialbots released at once. I know the difference between Triceratops, Stegosaurus and Brontosaurus (And can probably name a decent portion of their phylogeny). But an adult buying toys for their kid just looks at that and sees "Four legged dinosaur". That's why we get Swoop and Grimlock when they show up, because those two at least have a fair bit of uniqueness