hasbro vs takara Master piece

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by monkeyman905, Oct 28, 2012.

1. monkeyman905

monkeyman905 Well-Known Member

Hi, Im new here did a search for this topic and nothing came up. Loocking at starting a master piece collection as i have always wanted the G1 toys and these have seen to catch my eye as the ones to collect. Now ive done a bit or research on here and google but i can decided which version to go for hasbro or takara. I realised they are a few differences in colours and maybe shapes for safety reason in the states but is they anything else apart from that? Im looking more towards the Hasbro side of things with them hopefully bringing out the O/P MP10 2.0 on to the UK shore soon (You lucky yanks are already receiving yours i hear). The Takara look to be priced a lot higher than the Hasbro should i change my mind or is it more personal preference.

Thanks

2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro Grimlock doesn't have the waiter outfit and the platter with the cups that the Takara one had, it just came with the gun, sword, and the crown from the Marvel comics.

Hasbro Rodimus came with an extra Matrix, which was the one from the original MP Optimus and it doesn't even fit inside Rodimus' Matrix chamber.

3. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Hmm
    MP-01/04 Mold best is Takara IMO
    MP-03 Mold again IMO Takara
    MP-05 Mold only option is Takara
    MP-08 Mold goes either way. Takara or Hasbro really doesn't matter IMO
    MP-09 Mold Go for V2 Takara You get Rodimus Prime with the trailer and the QC issues fixed. Hasbro's version still has some QC issues though the target master is awesome but you don't get the trailer though. IMO buy both.
    MP-10 Mold for the price get the Hasbro version. I prefer the Takara colors but like the Hasbro eyes... However, again for the price I LOVE the Hasbro version.
    MP-11 Mold IMO is better than MP-03 though they don't have the great paint job that the MP-03 Molds do. You really only have 1 choice if you want a complete seeker set of the main 3 if you want official MP's and that is the MP-03 mold though as there is no MP-11 mold of Skywarp currently if ever... Who knows, though you can get Sunstorm. Some people like IGears version of the seekers but I only own the Coneheads so I cannot comment on the rest.
    Those are my preference and now I own them all.

Opp's forgot MP-11

4. KingStyle

KingStyle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lately the Hasbro versions seem to be as good if not better, especially in price (that will always be the case.)

The MP-10 is a good example of this, as it actually has more paint apps and everything else that the Takara version has (minus painted interior walls on the trailer).

Plus they dont have a Thundercracker yet for Takara :p 

5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Takara usually cater to the show while in most cases Hasbro, homages more to the original toys, like MP08 MP09 and MP10 (although Hasbro MP03 and MP06 were more cartoon accurate then their Takara counterparts).
    Big differences are that the Hasbro Rodimus Prime does not include Rodimus' trailer and instead includes an openable Matrix and a transformable Masterpiece Targetmaster Off-Shoot. Hasbro Grimlock also has rounded teeth and claws and omits all his accessories except his sword and gun and replaces his (awesome) cartoon accessories with the comic crown. 20th Anniversary (Hasbro MP01) Optimus Prime also has shortened smoke-stacks.

Here's what I think are the better versions of each:

MP01: Takara (Far better paint apps and long smoke-stacks, but MP10 is the better version of the character)
    MP03: Hasbro (WAY better paint job but MP11 is better version of the character)
    MP06: Hasbro ( Far better paint-job to match the TV show BUT does not have the Skywarp-exclusive face that Takara has)
    MP08: Takara (WAY better accessories and has sharp teeth and claws)
    MP09: Even (Colours are better in Takara and you get the trailer, but Hasbro has Off-Shoot who is an awesome accessory and also is the cheaper way to get the reduced QC issues version of the mold, so its just preference)
    MP10: Hasbro (Though they are very similar, Hasbro has more paint and is cheaper)
    MP11: Get both: Takara (Starscream) and Hasbro (Thundercracker)

MP07 is Takara's Thundercracker, however Hasbro's MP11 version is better.

6. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You came in at a good time. Lots of great MPs just released and coming out. It seems like going forward, you can't lose between Hasbro or Takara

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Correction: The extra matrix is a new mold. It is a lot more detailed than the one that came with the original MP Optimus.

8. monkeyman905

monkeyman905 Well-Known Member

Wow thanks guys, great quick response there. Gives me a lot to think about. So if i decide to mix my collection up with hasbro and taskara versions they would still fit in a collection together scale wise and overall look?

9. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Yes.... Kind of.. MP-01/04 mold scales with MP-05, and I guess MP-09 mold if used as Hotrod
    MP-03/MP-11, MP-09 (as Rodimus Prime) and MP-10 are the "new" scale
    MP-08 really doesn't "scale" with any of them... However, It scales well enough for the "new scale (MP-10 and the lot)" for me.

As far as Deco goes. IMO they all look good enough together though with the nice paint job on the Takara MP-03 molds the Hasbro versions kinda stick out a bit but nothing that really bothers me too much.

Edit: Also as far as the MP-11 mold goes. MP-11 and 11s look great together but the TRU MP TC stands out a bit as he has a "metalic" plastic there for shineier that Sceamer and err Stormer?'s more flat plastic colors. Again, not that big of deal but noticeable.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my opinion

pass on mp-01 and mp-05 unless you want a large scale display of just the two of them. (saying this even though i love the mp-5 mold) there will be a new megatron soon

mp-03, 06, 07 (starscream and co) is outdated (thank god) the wing joints are super fragile if you want to mess with the figures. and the kibble is very obtrusive, get the mp 11 mold instead

mp-08 (grimlock) can go either way, accessories are different, and the arm stripes are the only difference in deco, and the dino mode fingers and teeth are remolded to be less pointy.

mp-09 takara version 2, the rest are garbage, v1 breaks before you get it, and hasbro's cheap plastic can't handle the shoulder spring

mp-10 seems to be decent either way, i grabbed the takara version, made a good christmas present last year, but no point to go takara anymore unless you are displaying the inside of the trailer and want it painted or want the clearcoat on the cab

mp-12, i went takara, the paint job alone on the car mode makes it worth it to me, i want a shiny countach, not a dull plastic one.

11. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The assumption being that a Hasbro release wouldn't be painted. Not a bad assumption, but it's not guranteed to happen.

12. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Isnt hasbros MP-10 not painted either? Just red plastic as opposed to Takaras painted red plastic.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    MP-01 - Takara
    MP-03 - Hasbro - mold still sucks but at least the coloring was better
    MP-06 - Takara
    MP-08 - Takara
    MP-09 - Takara
    MP-10 - Takara *but* Hasbro's is just as good in its own "more anime coloring" way

And even though only Hasbro has released the new mold of MP Thundercracker so far, it's all but certain that when/if Takara do their own version, it'll be the superior one if for nothing else than it won't be littered with absolutely ridiculous decos like the current Hasbro one.

14. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Seconded. I think except for the gray hips, the entirety of takara's MP10 is painted. Don't have mine yet to confirm, but the red plastic is definitely painted over.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well, anything with collecting is going to be personal preference. Here's my two cents though:

I favor Takara's stuff for one big reason over the next: timing. More often than not when I order Takara MPs I get my figures earlier, sometimes a year in advance (example MP-10). Am I buying a substantial mark up? Ohhhh yeaaaaa. But it's kind of worth it to me, sometimes I'll get bonus accessories or a different paint job as well.

That's why I buy Takara.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hypothetical hasbro release with the licencing. i doubt we'd see a shiny paintjob (which not one other figure has gotten from hasbro)

i'm not a takara snob, but there is zero precedent that hasbro will put a shiny clearcoat on their figures. even with soundwave, i love the takara deco, why wait an extra 6 moths to a year, to find out that it may be a worse deco, or missing accessories, and have to fight to find one. Rather than pay a bit more, get it delivered to my house, and enjoy the figure for a while before it's released here, if the hasbro one is good too, i'll get it as well, and leave one in alt mode. the only downside is what happened with mp-09, which i didn't get the takara one (yet)

sorry, forgot to add that, fixed

17. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Hasbro, because they're cheaper and do figures justice.

18. tactikill decoy

tactikill decoy Well-Known Member

ive got both the mp-10 takara and the tru masterpiece. the color on the takara i feel wont sun fade/light fade as noticably as the tru. the tru colors are already light,almost to light anyway(imo). but for price, tru is about 1/3 takaras when you include shipping. if you can get it for 99. rumor is it is going to go up drastically so they can drop it closer to christmas.
    i have tru grimlock, tru thundercracker,walmart starscream, tru skywarp. i am getting soundwave, but for sideswipe im going for the commerative edition. masterpiece version seems a little too big. i returned tru masterpiece rodimus and got their 2 pack- rodimus vs cyclonus.

19. HomebrewJet

HomebrewJet Well-Known Member

If this MP-12 is a sign of Takaras work, I'm a hasbro fan. It's a checkerboard of 3 different reds. Drips, runs, over a under sprays. Not cool

20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I'd say this but I keep getting screwed with English only boxes and stupid languages laws here...