Hasbro Unveils Transformers Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jun 21, 2016.

1. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Exactly!!!!

The MCU films aren't always perfect but they're Oscar worthy compared to the crap Bay makes. And what takes the cake is that Bay has admitted on countless occasions that he doesn't give a frick about this franchise beyond the money. He's like the McDonald's Supervisor of filming. Yet his clueless followers can only dismiss what should be common sense as people simply "hating". Which is as dumb as the average script is for these films.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    ...actually, I'd love to see this.

Ah, maybe I'm just thinking of a specific group of people I used to hang out with a while back who really didn't like Movie Ra's.

Fair enough:) 

3. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

:lol 

Yep, some of the people here have been repeating themselves for almost ten years now, a fucking DECADE. I honestly don't know how they can be bothered anymore, especially since nothing they want changed ever gets changed in the movies and probably never will.
    Very strange mentality, makes me glad I don't bother posting here anymore.

4. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Thank you!!! They have no real leg to stand on and deep down they know it! I'm certain that if Civil War wasn't as well received as it was that Bay-Turtles crap would've made a whole lot more. Which is more proof the bar for Action films in general has risen and that people are growing tired of crap being simply flung at screens!

5. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    What? Sit by idly while this and other TF Sites force bs down our throats the next 3+ years. Not because they all love it but because of obligation mostly..?

Not just no but h3ll no!

It's a Forum meant for discussion.... That includes pointing out the obvious flaws in reoccurring Bay-crap along with voicing our opinions on the things we do like in various TF lines as well. Sorry if that mentality goes above your head but I have no intentions on stopping in either case.

The fact is that his "Aluminum Foil Man Band" is losing traction. And the Toys clearly don't sale as well. So progress is being made. So keep voicing your opinions and don't forget to speak with your wallets by spending your money elsewhere....

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2016
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Again, please describe the "development" Rocket and Groot got. How did the characters develop from the point the movie began to the point the end credits rolled? Maybe you and amd098 just don't know what character development is. You've heard other people talking about it in relation to other movies, and you understand it's something you are supposed to want, but you don't actually know what it is.

Fact is, Guardians is a great, highly enjoyable movie, even without character development. Because Groot and Rocket got none, Drax (another great example of a Marvel movie character a million miles removed from the comic character) got none, and Gamora got none. All of those characters got ZERO. Peter maybe got the tiniest hint of a whiff of development, but it was less than a background character would get in most normal movies. Hell, it was so little, it was comparable to the development Sam got in any one of the 3 Bay TF movies he was in.

That little.

So please.

7. MartyFeeb

MartyFeeb Wait... it's a bug?!

News Credits:
    I love those slides...:eek:  So fancy! :eek: 

Looks like Hasbro is ALSO sick of terrible Bay movies! :lol  Well, they're taking writing (i.e. CREATIVE) control away from him! :eek:  It's a pretty big move. "No, no, Michael... you can make with the boom boom... but let us handle the words?" :lol 

It's a good move: a team of GOOD writers will theoretically clean up his work to the point of... respectability? It's possible... The franchise will definitely benefit from less parent sex jokes, masturbation commentary, and legal-age-to-screw-minors-in-TX conversations! :D 

Also, this may yield the bonus of ousting Bay entirely. Maybe he'll grow annoyed with the lack of control and choose to move onto his own projects? (Although, it's unlikely as junk like Pain & Gain make no box office, regardless of what you think of it).

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Thread cleaned. Tone it down please, people.

Thanks.

9. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    I could state the obvious but that would imply that I have stock in what you in other Bay followers think on this matter. No, I think I'm done doing the back and forth.

It's allowed to hate Bays work w/o arguing in the process so have fun taking comments out of context.

It's also okay to enjoy Bays films without taking everything negatively stated about the films to heart. To those who understand this concept, I salute!

10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    By that logic, woudn't something like, y'know, rebooting the movie franchise therefore be something that should be encouraged and not, y'know, hairbrained into some cobbled together 'cinematic universe' because it's what Marvel is doing to make ungodly sums in the box office and not recognizing that the majority of the famous characters in the TF franchise are, y'know, DEAD?

Also, if the movies are just so unquestionably superior...why didn't Hasbro milk it for all its worth and make a Stinger toy? FFS five years prior they made the goddamn toaster from ROTF - and Ejector was pretty damn amazing in execution given he turned into a silver block of plastic - yet now they won't make one of the three named villains in a toyline who was literally a red Bumblebee repaint for the robot mode (the Pagini alt. mode should never have been chosen after the licensing drama fest that was Mirage/Dino's Ferrari alt. mode) that you claim still sells like hotcakes?

That is literally the internet in a nutshell. If there is an outlet, people will complain.

I wasn't aware the Transformers franchise was now 100% requiring fans to gush over the films even if they personally find them rather lacking in one or more critical aspects.
    Name one thing since 2010 in the TF Franchise that HASN'T been forced to adhere to things established from the movie.

And no, Generations had it forced upon it, too - all the AoE Deluxes were listed in retail computers as 'TRA MOVIE GENERATIONS' after all.

The development time for one toy from rough concept drawings to final production samples is about one year at bare bones minimum, usually more around 1.5 to 2 years on average.

And despite their best efforts, Hasbro and the factories in Asia can never prevent complete prototype test shots from being smuggled out or more recently a complete leak of internal reference documents.

Except for TF5. In the wake of this huge leak of information with TR toys scheduled for release through next year, not a single thing has emerged about TF5's toys. If Hasbro wants to avoid another massive release screw up like what happened with Animated and Prime toys hitting shelves well after the show had run at least the entire first season, the movie toys would need to be in the final stages of packaging mock ups while the toys themselves pretty much close to finished anyway.

We've seen nothing on that front. Nada. Hasbro didn't say a single word about the movie toys at Botcon two months ago - not even so much as 'there will be a TF5 toyline' at bare minimum.

This is extremely unusual, given the last point of reference is AoE and even with just one toy, Hasbro had Leader Optimus to show at the 2013 NYCC event in October, while the toyline itself had a street date of June 17, 2014 - ten days before AoE actually released. Eight months before the film even premiered and a production sample toy was already prepared. Now it's been nearly three years after AoE and Hasbro has nothing to show for any consideration of movie toys even in concept drawing form as of the biggest Transformer event there was.

He originally did...then they paid him an extra $10 million to come back.

Plus, given how much money the TF films made, they provided the foundation Bay needed to get his own films made - directors these days need to prove they can make films make money hand over fist before they're truly given freedom to actually make the films they themselves want to do ala Bay and 'Pain and Gain' or Cameron and 'Avatar'.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  11. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Yours, General Cartman E. Lee

Ebay:
    I'm telling you guys-Beg Marvel to agree to a "loose crossover" with GOTG, Part II (or a future installment) in which you can introduce ROM and Death's Head and have it (loosely) reference some of the planets/civilizations that Star Lord/Peter Quill and gang frequent.

Hell, have The Collector (Benecio Del Toro) make a cameo in regards to the whereabouts of the Star Saber and who has possession of it.

I doubt either side would ever agree to it since it makes too much sense and would be a win-win for both sides....

12. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Some curious stats for those interested :) 

If we're talking Oscar-worthy:
    The MCU has 8 AA (Academy Awards) nominations [Iron-Man (2), Iron-Man 2, Avengers, Iron-Man 3, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy (2)] to TCU 7 AA nominations [Transformers (3), ROTF, DOTM (3)].
    Which makes it 1.33 AA nominations per a nominated MCU movie and 2.33 AA nominations per a nominated TCU movie.
    And 0.67 AA nominations per a MCU movie (Civil War not included) to 1.75 AA nominations per a TCU movie.
    The highest number of AA nominations in MCU was 2 (Iron-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy) and the highest number of AA nominations in TCU was 3 (Transformers, DOTM).
    Out of all 12 movies in MCU (CA:CW not included) 6 movies were AA nominated and out of all 4 movies in TCU 3 were AA nominated.
    Which means that 50% of MCU movies were AA nominated and that 75% of TCU movies were AA nominated.

If we're talking box-office numbers:
    The MCU has 13 movies and the TCU has 4 movies.
    The MCU as a whole grossed $10.23B ($10,230,422,164) to the TCU's $3.77B ($3,773,846,628).
    The highest-grossing movie of MCU earned $1.52B ($1,519,557,910) [Avengers] and the highest-grossing movie of TCU earned $1.12B ($1,123,794,079) [DOTM].
    The lowest-grossing movie of MCU earned $0.26B ($263,427,551) [The Incredible Hulk] and the lowest-grossing movie of TCU earned 0.71B ($709,709,780) [Transformers].
    Out of all 13 MCU movies 4 grossed over $1B and out of all 4 TCU movies 2 grossed over $1B.
    In different numbers: 30.8% of MCU movies grossed over $1B and 50% of TCU movies grossed over $1B.
    On average a MCU movie grosses $0.787B and on average a TCU movie grosses $0.943B.

To summarize:
    In total: the MCU has 13 movies, 8 AA nominations and $10.23B in box-office. In comparison TCU has 4 movies, 7 AA nominations and $3.77B in box-office.
    On average a single MCU movie has 0.67 AA nominations and earns $0.787B. In comparison a single TCU movie has 1.75 AA nominations and earns $0.943B.

In Conclusion:
    While the MCU in total is more financially successful and AA-nominated than TCU, a single TCU movie is more financially successful and AA-nominated than a single MCU movie.

Now everyone can be happy! :D 

(On avarage they both loose to the Dark Knight :p )

13. seanlockyer

Ebay:
    Can you imagine how successful a MCU/TFU film would be then ?

It will probably never happen but I could see something like that do at least 1.5 billion worldwide....(if done right)

14. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Man after reading through all these posts I'm glad I've avoided saying anything. Already get a lot of shit for being a fan of the movies as is.

15. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Sorry but I don't want TF anywhere near the MCU.

16. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    The last Transformer/Avengers crossover I had a chance to read was this comic and it was not awsome :p 

I think that a modern Iron-Man/Transformers crossover could look good, a WW2 Captain America/Transformers or GOTG/Transformers space opera, too :) 

17. seanlockyer

Ebay:
    Well, on the other side of the coin, if it was NOT done right we would all be arguing and fighting not only amongst each other but also with all of the Marvel fans...

Maybe an enterprising fan full of imagination (not me, my imagination got sucked out of me when I became a working stiff doing 80 hours a week) can do a fanfic weaving The Last Knight/GOTG/The Collector/The Star Saber together.

I bet you that a fanfic would make for a better story than whatever else they (recycle) conjure up....

18. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Yeah, but then that would involve Disney getting their hands on even part of the rights to Transformers.

The entire reason the HUB was developed as an independent channel for Hasbro largely was to avoid going through the same problems with Cartoon Network, which co-owned the rights to TFA, screwing over Animated in the time slots, and it took YEARS for them to finally allow a S3 DVD release.

Disney to this day refuses to even allow a release of the original RID cartoon.

Now how much of that money actually went back to the production company as profit? Because at the very least, the $301 million AoE pulled in China did not go back to Paramount - the agreements with the government stipulated that China would keep 75% of the box office, so that's only $75 million that actually was made in profit for the film itself.

19. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Hmm, I have no idea, but Age of Extinction was the most profitable movie of 2014 and the runner-ups included American Sniper, Hobbit, Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: Winter Soldier (Most Profitable Movies Of 2014: What Made Most At Box Office & Beyond? | Deadline)

The numbers in stats are from box-office grosses. If you have the data for MCU and TCU on how does box-office gross comes back to production could you share it? I bet it would be pretty interesting to look at :) 

Edit: Found the data on years 2014-2015, but it does not tell us much.

1. Age of Ultron - $382.32M
    2. Age of Extinction - $250.155
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy - $204.2
    4. Winter Soldier - $166.224
    5. Ant-Man - $103.90M

On average: MCU = $214.161, TCU = 250.155

If we analize the trend of the CUs at box-office, the MCU seems to keep earning more, and the TCU seems to be earning less at home box-office. I suspect that the Avengers (2012) will be higher on the list than AOU (smaller budget, bigger income), GOTG was a surprise hit, so I suspect that when it comes to profits it will stand higher than the previous solo movies, so the lacking numbers: Avengers $400, every other MCU movie $100-200M. I can't say much about Transformers, AOE was the weakest at home box-office, but second world-wide, so I gues the rest of the TCU movies will sit similary at $200-250M.

20. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    While I applaud this effort, I find this to be a manipulation of stats. We're on a transformers board. Naturally, some of the most vehement defenders and attackers of the material will be here. Academy awards for special effects and such certainly have merit, but I think that obscures the general idea being conveyed. I don't think anyone is claiming the MCU is challenging for best picture, yet TF *is* competing for razzies. Both have made changes to the source material, but they differ on their use of humor, design success, and storytelling. Just look at how g1ers view the original cartoon - optimus, Starscream, bumblebee, jazz, cliffjumper, Ironhide, Grimlock, etc all have diehard fans because they had unique (in a captivating way) designs, voices, actions, abilities, etc. There is a reason you see kids wearing captain america, iron man, spider-man, and to a lesser extent hulk, thor, and likely black panther stuff whereas despite 5 movies, people only really identify with Optimus and BB. One universe is perceived to have a wholesomeness and the other perceived to be rather crude. They're father apart than they are similar.