Customs: Hasbro Transmetal 1Megatron arm fix & TM2 Megatron wing fix

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Schroeder, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Well-Known Member

I have made this thread to show people how I fixed my trans metal two Megatron and trans metal one Megatron- hopefully on the latter. This thread actually starts with the fix of the trans metal two, and it has actually been completed. The trans metal one will come in the next week I hope.

When I was a young boy 15+years ago I was thrilled to receive the trans metal 2 Megatron for Christmas one year. The top pin captor for one of his wings broke in short order and I was devastated. I was always very good with my transformers, and today when I went to pull my old ones out to share with my son because we are watching beast wars together I could still remember exactly which ones were broken. I only had three broken ones. These two megatrons and rampage. Rampage's right leg broke at the knee. I'm attempting a simple super glue fix with that one.

Anyway, when trans metal two megatron's wing broke as a small boy I could only think to fix it by sticky-tacking it to death to try to hold it in place. So that's why on the figure you will see that sticky tack. Excuse it. Again, that was a young 10-12 yr old boy's fix 15-20 years ago. I am now going on 30.

Today for the fix I ground the broken pin captor stubs down flush with the base of the wing. I took a 4-40 nut ground one side down, and welded a 4-40 machine screw to that ground side. I chopped the extra length of the machine screw off, ground and filed the unnecessary weld down, and filed and ground the diameter of the welded pin to about .080" diameter. I drilled a . 077" diameter hole in the wing. I drilled a hole in the nut at the proper figured location for the knurled factory pin to cross through it and hold the wing in. I ended up being about . 020" off on this, but it's not a big deal. I took the stud, placed it between two files, and hammered down on the top file. This gave me my own knurl to engage the hole I drilled in the wing. I filled the hole with super glue as well as putting super glue on the diameter of the pin. I pressed my weldment into the hole on the wing. this was nerve-racking because I thought I was going to break the wing in this process. The press fit on this should be opened up by .0015" for a .0015" press fit or the wing should be heated up a touch before pressing the weldment in.

I can still make the top better with an additional piece. That piece could have been an acorn nut welded to the top of this weldment and ground to the proper contour going up in to the rest of the wing. Easyily doable. I also still need to paint this pin captor.

I consider this a successful fix. I hope it may help anybody else who may have experienced this break. I know it was a real bummer and heartbreak for me as a little boy when it happened.

I hope to replicate (kinda) the process on the TM1 Megatron arm. Again, I hope. To outline that process- if successful- this upcoming weekend. Certainly this can be used on similar scenarios with other figures.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero I am a warrior

Ebay:
    Dude, your fix for TM2 Megatron involved welding?? That's a whole new level of awesome! Also, I'm curious to see what you have in mind for fixing TM1 Megatron, but it might not be worth it in the end considering the brown plastic he's made of is super brittle and will likely keep breaking. You would probably be better off hunting down a Takara Metals Megatron or an Armada Predacon to repaint and parts-swap with your Hasbro Megatron.

3. Schroeder

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I could have and probably should have done better. I could have welded an acorn nut on the top of the nut portion of my weldment, drilled a blind hole in it, and ground it to meet the wing flush where the factory, plastic pin captor was before it broke.

As of 2 days ago there was another one of these figures on eBay that had the same break on the same wing, so that leads me to believe this break is somewhat common.

You are 100% right on the TM1 Megatron, but I thought I'd give it a go. I believe my figures Tm1 megz is in danger of having his right leg snap off too because it doesn't ratchet like the left. I'm still gonna try this. Replacement legs and lower waists seem to be plentiful on eBay, so that should be an easy fix should that occur. Again, I hope to fix Tm1 megz this weekend, and I will post the pictures. I hope it can help someone.

4. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero I am a warrior

Ebay:
    Good luck! I have a few extra TM1 Megatron pieces so if you need anything let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Schroeder

Alrighty. Got the TM1 megz done. The metal that shows needs painted of course, but the hard part is done. I hope this helps someone. This was actually quite intricate. I had to do lots of filing and sanding to the nearest 1/64".

EDIT: pics were selected out of my gallery in chronological order, so they're out of order here. Start with the bottom/last pic and work to the top/first to follow the order of how the repair should be completed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1