Hasbro to Phase Plastic out of Toy Packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

There are also recycling programs in place that will recycle the plastic used in the packaging. They can also be broken down and converted into new products. If people already don’t use that option, are they really going to go to the trouble of using Hasbro’s program to recycle old figures?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Which is true. Yet some posters on here are attacking people that still want the window packaging, with no idea of anything else about them. I recycle the packaging from every toy I open, but to read this thread it seems I care nothing about the environment.
    Edit:
    I didn’t see FenrirZero’s post. Hopefully Hasbro will use these alternatives, and everyone can be happy.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may recycle, that's great, but you'd be amazed how many locations (including cities) not only don't require you to, they don't even offer you the option. Here in the Youngstown metro, most people are given garbage cans/rubbish bins (if you're so inclined) and no containers for recyclables. Some cities/towns do, but it's a pretty small container and if you go over a certain amount of "waste" they charge you extra for it.

I'm not the only one in this position, I can tell you that, so imagine how many people in the US don't recycle their packaging. And other countries in the world may care even less than we do. Heck, there are some states, such as California who incentivize people for recycling... other states are like "rewhat now?"

• Like Like x 2
  4. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 The Machine Wars Guy

News Credits:
    Does it have to be the jungle. I'd rather live in the forests of the Pacific Northwest.

5. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Just with regular regular and PET plastics. Their goal is to use bioPET which is plastic made by natural resources. So by 2024 your 40th anniversary Optimus Prime reissue will be vegan friendly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

The stupid / ignorant comment of the week... :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a bad idea & I see a lot of ppl swapping out toys! Also I see a lot of broken toys too! This really sucks for MIB ppl! Hasbro is definitely making a bad choice here!

9. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 The Machine Wars Guy

News Credits:
    Where I live there is no city recycling program. If there is a recycling center I have not seen it, i definitely have not heard anyone talking about it. I think the closest thing are the bins at Target and Walmart, and I've never seen anyone use them. Maybe this could help create awareness?

10. malcontentman

malcontentman Cybertronian James Cagney

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This does not bother me at all. A lot of us TF collectors have been buying 3P figures for more than a decade packaged in windowless cardboard boxes. As mentioned, some of the larger Titan class and now newer deluxe and voyager Siege sets are already doing it. Takara has been going windowless on a lot of Legends sets and voyagers for a while. As a collector it is harder to see the quality of the paint apps or if there are defects in the toy before purchasing without a window, but it is always a crap shoot. I really prefer the windowless boxes also because if the windows get frosted from friction or dirty from glue or adhesive I get really annoyed if I am trying to preserve the box.

11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    This thread is full of candidates.

• Like Like x 3
  12. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I figure, they're already not using styrofoam for Soundwave (to say nothing of the whole "converts" instead of "transforms" thing), so what's another change?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Berser Car

Berser Car Cryptid member

Tumblr:
    Multilanguage?

14. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Quite right

15. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Well, it's one thing to use plastic trays instead of Styrofoam. But if they go windowless, it might as well be the Commemorative line all over again. I'd say the large appeal for THESE releases is as much the packaging as it is the toy. if I just wanted a G1 Soundwave reissue, there is a myriad of ways to acquire one that doesn't specifically mean my having to skulk around Walmarts.

16. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    There's little disputing that the "G1-esque" packaging IS part of the appeal for many. For me, I really can't get past the incorrect language (incorrect stickers on Buzzsaw are also an issue, as is they fact that they packaged him wrong side up). For others, I'm sure there are different hang-ups... or none at all.

FWIW, other posts in this very thread suggest that Hasbro may simply be going to an alternative for the windows, rather than going completely without them. We'll just have to see.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kazimir

Kazimir Well-Known Member

This.

In contrast, Denver has free trash pickup for all residents in city limits including free recycling and free collection of yard waste. Free recycling has been a thing for more than a decade. All you have to do is ask for the containers. There is no sorting required. This is not a secret. And yet despite this, Denver has one of the lowest recycling rates in the United States, considered abysmal by national standards.

Carelessness and laziness are terrible attributes to have.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great news, plus you know toy swappers always get away with it even with the clear plastic windows...have people forgotten seeing incorrect figures in stores such as TRU (back then) and walmart being returned and getting put back on shelves...

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And then there are towns like mine that are picky about what you recycle. They take *some* plastic, but not all plastics. It doesn’t matter if there is a triangle.

Styrofoam goes in the trash.
    Me- I collect it and occasionally take a bulk to a place outside of town that takes styrofoam.

Same goes for cardboard. Not all cardboards go into the recycling bin. They only seem to want plain boxes. Not even pizza boxes.

It’s pretty lame. The plastics and cardboard that don’t get recycled goes in the trash. But don’t worry- they will gladly sell you a bigger can to accommodate the stuff that can’t go in the recycling.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    And in some places where recycling bins are available, their contents end up in the landfill anyway, either because the contents are contaminated by non-recyclables (people mixing trash in with the recycling, too much food waste in containers, etc.) or because local recycling plants simply aren't able to take in, sort, and process the material.

There's places in the world that do a better job of recycling than others, and every little bit helps, but there's lots of room for improvement and no real reason IMO not to.

• Like Like x 3