Hasbro to Phase Plastic out of Toy Packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Aug 20, 2019.

1. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    It is possible to have complicated feelings on an issue.

No, I don't support opening packaging in stores, and I wouldn't do it as an adult. Yes, I regret doing that, especially when we damaged the packaging (although most of the time it was harmless). Eventually we felt guilty and stopped. I don't think any of us have done that for the better part of a decade, if not over a decade. Nowadays we'll just buy a package and be surprised, or order what we want on eBay. If I were a store employee, I would certainly stop customers from doing the same thing we did, and make them purchase anything they opened.

I can frown upon the action of opening packaging in stores, and (at the same time) sympathize and agree with the thought-process behind it. Sorry if that seems self-contradictory.

I guess it's similar to how I support the effort behind something like the Star Wars: Despecialized Edition, but frown upon the act of pirating movies. Or how I would love everything to be free, but I acknowledge that stores can't literally give their merchandise away. Or how I profess my love for fast-food while also acknowledging that it's bad for me. It's possible to have seemingly contradictory feelings on something.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:

That's a good idea too.

3. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    But when you have the attitude "screw it, why waste time trying to making the world even a little bit better when we're all going to die anyway?", the only legacy you are going to leave behind is "Remember that guy?" "Yeah...boy, he was kind of asshole, wasn't he?"

• Like Like x 5
  4. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    https://www.quora.com/How-long-does...ey-would-pay-for-themselves-in-5-10-years-How

[​IMG]

Turns out the ice goes up and down, but seem to be on an over all downward trend scene 1975.

And again I say the Earth will recover, and Humans are highly adaptable, we will survive as long as we are meant to. I say we do what we can for the environment, don't worry too much about that when there a bigger problems coming for the threat of other people. Do your best to lead a good life raise your kids right and don't be an ass-hole.

5. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i think you might be in denial

• Like Like x 2
  6. MacFormer97

MacFormer97 Well-Known Member

This is only a good thing, and I'm glad to see Hasbro at least attempting to be enviornmentally conscious.

Anyone legitimately complaining that this is bad for collectors frankly needs to readjust their priorities. I say this as an avid collector: I can deal with the lack of windows/trays in my Transformers boxes if it means having a positive effect on the health of the enviornment. They're just toys, after all.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Yes the images are a bit misleading, but no more so that pro eco-friendly car meme's are. I thikn the point of the first image is that the drilling site for oil can be small and the refining can be done at another location where trees don't need to be cut down. Where as the kind of mining for what ever metal leaves very little nature in tact.

As for the second picture year it's a diesel car and a battier power charger, that does how ever bring me to my graph. Electricity in your home and/or office most likely come from stuff we dug up out of the ground.

As for crediting Chuck Who-Ever, we do not talk about it.

8. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Nah, you live in fear, I have hope.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Okay guys, take it to PMs if you're not finished. Let's get the thread back on course.

10. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    This is more or less where I was going, but I wanted to take the long way and maybe get one people to fallow me there.

11. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    well it is sort of the subject at hand and the reason why plastic packaging is being cut back :)  ( btw not trying to tell you how to do your mod job here if that's what you think from my reply :)  )

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not reading 20 pages to see if this was mentioned, but no plastic doesn't mean no windows. There are alternatives materials that can be used.

• Like Like x 2
  13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    It was said on the first page. The Chicken Littles didn't read it.

14. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ha, thanks. I'll go check it out.

15. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Yeah someone brought up "bioplastic" and another member mentions plastic made from potato skins, witch I assume is a kind of bioplastic.

16. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    That's really good to know. I hope they go with something like that.

17. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Yeah, good for them

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you wanted to talk about a small footprint, using the Alberta oilsands (even that rather picturesque station) is a pretty bad example to use, since extraction there basically involves scooping up a bunch of oil soaked dirt and using a ton of water and solvents to essentially boil the bitumen out of it. It has more in common with the strip mining picture than you might think.

Natural Gas is cheap right now because of fracking, but that too may come with unforeseen consequences down the road.

True, much of the world's energy does come from fossil sources (even more if you count nuclear energy as stuff we dug up from the ground), but there are numerous places in the world where the energy generation mix isn't dominated by fossil (hydroelectric and nuclear are the two most common large-scale alternatives). There's no silver bullet, each form of generation has drawbacks (which makes recycling, energy conservation, and energy efficiency all the more important), but there's no reason to not aim for addressing known issues, even if only incrementally.

Saving our fossil resources for alternative uses to power generation just makes more plastic available for use in durable goods, as does reducing the amount of disposable, single use plastic in use.

Bioplastics and celluose-based plastics are promising, though they're harder to make and right now still in their infancy. If all they have to do is blow mold a transparent film that has to take a few dings and keep a larger object in place, however, they might be a viable alternative.

There was also some work ongoing for fungus-based foams (think styrofoam made of bleached mushrooms), but I don't know if that went anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Good. I think the plastic trays in the boxes and carded figures are kind of obnoxious, along with the elastic bands and the plastic tie-downs.

20. bman

bman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread is the most hypocritical i've seen ever. All the fake pro-environmentalists hypocrites saying it's a good thing for Hasbro to do this when it's actually in the name of robbing you of your rights/choice to inspect the toys properly due to Hasbro's notorious lack of QC reputation. You're already paying so much for the toys and now you're being robbed of the right to inspect them visually but instead being presented with phony artwork and potentially phony touched up manipulated screenshots like Hasbro is known for.

You all pretend like it's a good thing in the name of environment to reduce plastic but yet refuse to acknowledge that the TOY itself is the biggest piece of plastic in the entire sum/package.

If you really want to save the environment, don't buy the PLASTIC toy at all! Boxes are still made from PAPER which come from trees which require the destruction of the forest so where's the rage in your hypocritical pro-environment sense?

BOO! Either you buy with full confidence in ability to see what you're actually buying or DON'T BUY AT ALL IF YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT.

YOU LOSE THAT PRIVILEGE/RIGHT TO TALK ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT THE MOMENT YOU STEP INTO THIS HOBBY!

Stop with your hypocrisies!

• Like Like x 4