Hasbro to Phase Plastic out of Toy Packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 The Machine Wars Guy

News Credits:
    Glass is very dangerous when it breaks, expensive and heavy.
    They already do, the problem, as Hasbro describes it, is that not enough of their costumers are recycling. So really this is all my fault because I just put all my trash in the dumpster behind my house, sorry everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt that. Walmart has a lot of pull. They'll probably keep them as-is. Everything else will go the way of Cyberverse. Or Walgreens Cyber Battalion.

This is perfect, actually.

I did a double-take after reading your post. It really has... Wow.

Finally! Yay!

Dude! No one even brought that into until you did. Don't do that! Don't be the one. (I'm not going to address it at all, and certainly not past this.) Aside from a few unnecessary digs, this entire thread has been at the very least civil. Don't go and ruin it. Geez. Self control.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 2 Steps Forward, 3 Steps Back

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    So masterpiece styled boxes? Like siege jetfire? I wouldn’t mind, I prefer those boxes ‘cause you can open and close them without ruining the packaging :) . But there still is the problem with checking the figure on the inside(and no more clamshell bubble packing for masterpiece:( ). But hey, It’s probably worth the sacrifice.:D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I totally get where you're coming from. I should clarify...I'm not saying I support opening products in stores, and I'm not encouraging others to do what we did. We were definitely being stinkers. We generally took care not to destroy the packaging (we never cut open trading card packages, for example), but there were times when we took it way too far, and did damage the packaging in a way that couldn't be re-sealed. In hindsight, I regret that we didn't pay for those. It was also tacky that were giving ourselves an advantage, when the surprise was supposed to be part of the experience.

All of that being said, I still do hold the belief that customers should be able to see the merchandise. And stores do too. I've had employees do the exact same thing we used to do. Peel back the tape and show us what's inside the box. I'm sure stores would be the first to acknowledge that customers are more likely to make a purchase when they can inspect the goods, even if they frown upon customers opening packages.

Like it or not, people opening the windowless packaging (if that's the route they go) is inevitable. There will be a lot of people doing it. There will be employees doing it for customers. And as a result, there will be parts falling out of the package, and there will be figures and packaging being damaged by careless people. And while I hope people refrain from doing that, I sort of sympathize with them at the same time (if that makes sense). I get not wanting to fork over 20 - 30 dollars for a toy that might be defective, or might have been swapped or stolen or something. Or might simply look less-appealing than it does on the box art. I just think Hasbro is kind of underestimating the usefulness of the windows...they're popular on packages for a reason, and removing them is probably going to have somewhat big consequences (again, if that's the route they go).

• Like Like x 2
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's basically a bunch of "sorry, not sorry". Period.

You can excuse it away all you want, you can say you were "stinkers" (are you sitting on a porch on a rocking chair talking about the good old days???) and then you undo it all with the next bunch of text. Either you get it and own it, or you excuse it. Which is it?

If a store employee does it, that's one thing, that's on the store to do that and it's on them for the loss of the sale. If they do it, they do it knowingly and can write it off if need be. You and your family were damaging property and patting yourselves on the back for a job well done.

And now, you're telling us you guys sometimes basically obliterated the packaging to do so?

FFS, that's awful. Utterly, simply, awful. I really don't care what you think the buyer is entitled to. You lost any ground with me when you publicly okayed your illegal activities that screwed it up for everyone else.

Even scalpers will get more respect out of me than you will.

Ugh.

6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Well, you just convinced me that once this goes through, I'll be buying exclusively online. Opening sealed merchandise is a shitty move and if there are people out there willing to defend their actions, Amazon and BBTS are going to be getting more and more of my business.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If this is legit then Im done buying in store. Too many swappers and scammers in the chicagoland area.

Will have to just strictly order online from trusted places. Which is kinda lame cause no more randomly finding something new in store.

Im fine with the cardboard innards but leave the damn plastic window for leader class or smaller figures

8. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Here's the thing about concern for the environment. We're all doing to die and our bodies will decompose. In time all of us will be gone and the Earth will take back every thing.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's an odd way to think about future generations.

• Like Like x 6
  10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    the way things are going everything will end up burning and the earth will be a radioactive dead planet with no atmosphere

• Like Like x 1
  11. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    We can do our best for our children, but they said the same thing in the 80's, 70's, 60's and so on but look where we are now? You accept, not know, that you are going to die, and so will everyone that will have know, know now and will know. Life is limited and on a long enough time line our survival rate drops to zero. We need to enjoy our lives while we can and do our best not to make the brief existence of those around us any worse.
    The Earth is not a weak as you think, and our situation is not as bad as you think. But let me droop a few memes real quick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator
    [​IMG]

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue but we understand that (a) there’s different ways to tackle problems and (b) every solution has pros/cons. The point is, if we can do something to improve the future, shouldn’t we explore that? Back in the day we didn’t really understand that smoking was bad or that lead paint and asbestos was bad but we understand that now and have changed our choices for the better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Maybe Hasbro could make packaging out of all the strawmen in this thread.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Yes, but we really need to look at the big picture. When Hasbro cuts plastic how much are they going to save, how much are they going to gain in "eco-friendly" customers? Where is that money going to go? What will become of your plastic toys in 50, 500, 5,000 or 50,000 years? And in the end how does that really effect you, your children, gran children, or great-grand children?

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    There’s a lot in this post to want to respond to, included those clever memes that have more of less been debunked, but since we’re derailing the thread a bit I will simply say I think you quoted or paraphrased quite a few lines from Fight Club :thumb 

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I mean, I think you’re being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse. Answering your questions is not that hard.

Hasbro is saving money with this decision. That’s the ultimate reason for this change.

Does it help the environment? I don’t know but I think using natural products (paper/cardboard) probably works out better in the long run versus plastic.

The other questions are irrelevant because ultimately we want more TFs. And we all know that it’s better for the environment not to produce TFs.

17. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I am contemplating the implications of shipping a plastic and metal figure inside a cardboard box. It sounds so very... quaint.

That said, the overwhelming majority of my collection has come in art-covered complete cardboard boxes, with the few exceptions of the 3P MP figures that had somewhat pointless plastic windows in them. I could live with the loss of plastic or styrofoam inserts. I'm curious to see how the handle the packaging of stickers, cards, instructions, and accessories/extra pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  18. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    This was already addressed on the first page of this very thread. Hasbro offers recycling services for old toys.

That's the reactions to this news in a nutshell. "This little thing won't change much so why do it?"

• Like Like x 2
  19. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    Don't break the first two rules.
    What's so bad about not understanding but trying to? The point I'm trying to get at is it's what you leave behind but your legacy.

20. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    it was said it was coming back then and everything that was said is starting to happen and please don't use meme's to try and prove a point because there is nothing worse !

electric can be generated without fossil fuels!!! wind /sun and hydro power but our greedy oil company's will lose out if we start using the elements to power our cities and transport.... there is actually a way to use water to power an engine too google it

the earth is heating up all you have to do is look at how much the ice caps have have melted in the last few decades to see this and how many places around the world are suffering from floods ( just look at africa for example ) , we are seeing freak weather and the hottest summers we have ever had in recorded history so much so the amazon forest has been burning for the last 3 weeks because it is so dry which has also had a record amount of fires this year 72 thousand have been logged since january , when our planets lungs are gone god help us

the earth is swimming in plastic and microplastics , plastic has been found in the deepest part of our oceans and in the most remote places of the world , in our drinking water , in most wildlife and recently it's been found in rain water at the top of the rocky mountains

we are experiencing the 6th mass extinction right infront of our eye's we have killed off 60% of wildlife in the last 50 years ,and this time it's going to be a hard one to come back from we the human race are responsible unlike the other mass extinctions

we are killing this planet all we can do now is try and slow things down by changing our ways which includes stopping the use of non essential plastics amongst many things , which will obviously kill our hobby

it's scary and i do fear for my daughters future the way things are going

( i could have gone in to more detail but it would end up being a really really long post and i need to go out )

• Like Like x 1