Hasbro to Phase Plastic out of Toy Packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Aug 20, 2019.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Hasbro to Phase Out Plastic from New Toy and Game Packaging | Hasbro

Not really a Transformers-specific news story but still a VERY relevant one. Especially given that it explicitly calls out window sheets as one of the things they're planning to eliminate from packaging.

...and I hadn't even considered it means eliminating plastic trays, too.

Feels like this could have a VERY significant impact on collector-oriented toylines like the Generations stuff.

• Like Like x 23
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That's gonna suck, because how are we supposed to judge paint apps and quality? Just bust open the packages in store one by one?

You need to be able to see the fucking product before you buy it.

• Like Like x 29
  3. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    Okay. This is good news for the environment. But how the hell are we going to be able to try and check for flaws, or make sure some douche canoe didn't slip a honeycomb or knock off captain America toy in there?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 33
  4. General Tekno

News Credits:
    It's the collector toylines I specifically wonder about... Cyberverse has already been playing around with the notion of open air low-plastic toy packaging, so I imagine a lot of things will go that direction.

But for the collector lines the big BIG question is "window or no window?" Given a window then means dust/debris can get in, which MISB collectors don't want... and no window means you can't see what's in your box, which ALSO feels like a big negative for MISB collectors and people who like to check their toys' paint apps (and a HUGE boon for toy swappers).

Not that there's a LOT of MISB people in this fandom. But Star Wars/Marvel?

• Like Like x 7
  5. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    So wait. With no Windows, you can't even tell if the figure is in the box.

• Like Like x 13
  6. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Doesn't specifically mention transformers or marvel/star wars etc. There's probably a lot more to work out with action figure lines rather then nerf which is mostly just card packing in card boxes already.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I want to believe Hasbro has asked these questions themselves. The past 2-3 years Hasbro has actively acknowledged the collector market, more than ever. So with this change, which is absolutely positive from an environment and PR standpoint, were collectors considered? I’m going to say I have hopes.

• Like Like x 6
  8. General Tekno

News Credits:
    Whatever the case I think this'll impact Transformers not all that much.

A friend pointed out when I brought this up that all the exclusives we've been getting of late have no plastic window on them. And most of us TF collectors open our stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For a slight preview of this (at least externally), take the current Siege Decepticon Phantomstrike Squadron and Autobot Alphastrike Counterforce boxes as an example of what to expect.
    [​IMG]

Plus, items like the Unite Warriors Devastator box set where the figures were additionally housed in cardboard rather than plastic trays as shown in this unboxing:

• Like Like x 22
  10. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Bit more of a challenge with the smallest size classes though.

On the plus side this would mean we'll get more and probably bigger character artwork to enjoy.

• Like Like x 10
  11. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

This is great news!

• Like Like x 18
  12. lord ginrai

lord ginrai TT Maniac

News Credits:
    Masterpiece boxes have been windowless since day one. As have numerous other lines from Takara over the years.
    We'll survive.

Curious if TakaraTomy will follow suit and do away with the plastic clamshells for the MP line. Plastic is still all the rage here in Japan..

• Like Like x 21
  13. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mind you, because the typical target audience is kid who will tear through the packaging to play with the stuff, most people aren't gonna care. I'm thrilled to see plastic bags, ties, and windows eliminated from an environmental standpoint. But collectors who want to display their items in box will be affected, as well as MISB collectors who'll just have to hope the contents are what they expected and intact.

The concern as far as regular shoppers go, though, will be that we may see a huge uptick in fraudulent returns and sellers who have swapped a completely different item into the box. Eagle-eyed customers at Walmart noticed in some stores by looking at the window box that some people had replaced the Vintage G1 reissue Optimus Prime inside with the Jada metal non-transforming version of the truck. A number of people accepting and inspecting returns can't tell one toy from another if they're similar enough.

• Like Like x 10
  14. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

If you are worried about toy swappers, just make sure the tape seals have not been tampered with. Yeah, some folks can fake that pretty well if they try but its a pretty good defense. Regardless, some of us pre-order ahead of time or get the figures from online retailers and also escape that mess with toy swapping too.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, 100%. Unfortunately, not all parents know to look out for such when toy buying. So long as they see it's taped in general, they may not think about it unless it's been retaped rather sloppily or in a blatantly obvious fashion. Still, less plastic shipping out from a major toy company is definitely a win.

Now if only we could get some really really cheap transparent aluminum or force fields ala Star Trek to replace the windows... lol. At least we no longer have to worry about dinged and dented windows for those keeping the boxes as pristine as possible.

• Like Like x 4
  16. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm down with lest plastic, does this mean no more plastic ties too? That would be awesome.

• Like Like x 14
  17. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it good? Yes. Like @Ramberk Magnus said, check for any open spots or ripped tape. Is it effective? We will have to see their proposals for boxes for smaller figures.

And, by the way, cardboard is probably not much less bad than plastic. We should stop cutting down trees. Plastic is synthetic. And I know plastic litters more, but they should come up with other solutions if they are going to introduce only one. Oh, and the Skywarp Pack (can't say about G2 Sideswipe since I don't have) the edges are very sharp. A child could get scraped. Just saying my :2c: .

• Like Like x 4
  18. General Tekno

News Credits:
    There'd probably still be ties. Just not plastic ones. You have to secure the toy SOMEHOW.

Wonder if that'd be a return to those annoying ones you have to use scissors to cut.

Also, there's a certain irony that we're talking about reducing plastic on PLASTIC TOYS, I have to say.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    The plastic composition of the toys is addressed in this part of the press release, which I appreciate:

smartselect_20190820-091502_chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  20. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime *sigh* STILL waiting for MPM Ratchet

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't know or care about speculating the outcome of figures without internal plastic packages. You can complain about this after it's fully executed when you make another purchase.

But This is good news indeed. I do hope hasbro will use TFCC or Botcons method with using using foam and/or leather to package toys because from a personified standpoint; the MPMs, Siege, and SS will be better packaged and comfortably secured. It also reduces the odds of them being damaged considering foam's thicker than plastic.