Hasbro To Generate NFTs Based On Transformers And G.I. Joe Properties

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Apr 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a bit of a fallacy. The logic is that if they weren't using the electricity for this, electric companies would be generating x% less power overall. This isn't how things work in the real world, but NFT is still a waste of energy.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Now we're talking, this can be yours foooorrrr... let's start at $2.4 million.
    tumblr_pn2fatfIEe1y69173o1_1280.png

Oo... and it's a good one, his Captain America is all right[ish, if you don't look at the legs] but Thor seems to have no actual torso. Just hips and shoulders set at a weird angle to one another.

I will need the captions back as they are for display only... Unless you want them for another $150k?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Except nobody will be jealous, they’ll just think ‘what a gullible twat’ and move on.

• Like Like x 6
  4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    If there's a ton of miners running somewhere, power companies gotta run power to them. Which means cranking up production if the demand goes up. That's why back in the day you could have entire neighborhoods lose power during heat waves as people were overloading grids with their ACs. Heck, that's why California sometimes has to resort to rolling black outs as the demand for electricity overshadows the supply from the grid.

So, yes, if people aren't churning cycles mining for crypto power companies don't need to crank production to keep up. Energy isn't magic.

But we know this isn't the case because leveraging people's FOMO to overcharge for stuff is the basis for scalping. Which is all this really is.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 My hyper-fuel may be a little too hyper

I think the GI Ho NFT will be more popular than the GI Joe and Transformers versions. The NFT seems to fit a more adult themed thing more than for toys.

6. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    I can imagine many would say the same about our own hobby.

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Don’t get me wrong, if you threw your retirement savings into NFTs or Funko Pops or Funko Pops or whatever the latest thing is, I hope it works out for you. I don’t want anyone to lose their retirement even if I think the thing they’re backing is utterly stupid. If you can make some good cash and get it with your money before it collapses then more power to you.

They’d call it dumb, for sure. Gullible doesn’t really work as you’re exchanging tangible currency for physical goods. Not intangible data for an easily deleted set of pixels.
    Twats though? Yeah no argument there :lol 

To a point yeah, but if I go buy some GI Joe figures at Target and hold onto them, I’m removing supply from the equation. As time goes on less and less of that supply is available as people who want to keep them do so. You can make as many NFTs of an incredibly minorly edited thing as you like

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Megatron Unicronus

Megatron Unicronus Let’s say go!

News Credits:
    Funny how SEGA announced they’d be doing this a few days ago, and now Sonic fans are crucifying them on Twitter. Meanwhile, Hasbro announces they’re doing this and everyone’s just like “This is bad.”

• Like Like x 1
  9. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

News Credits:
    Because C-Suite executives somehow know more about what the consumer wants...than the consumer does. The phrase "play ecosystem" for example: a bullshit, no-meaning marketing term spawned from the towers on Madison Avenue with the highest altitude. Somehow they know more than fans on forums, viewership ratings on their programming, or at the very least sales numbers vs returned product data from retailers.

10. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    This thread is about on par with the level of anger I'm seeing in gamer circles about the Sonic stuff.

Yes and no. The rarity of the NFT isn't in the supply, it's in the verification that you own one. It's like a numbered copy of something. Several people own the same thing, but you own a specific numbered item out of a known set.

An NFT producer could flood the market and immediately kill the value of an image in the same way HasTak punched the secondary market for Prime Breakdown in the teeth with that anniversary reissue a few months back.

• Like Like x 2
  11. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

Yup you're the legendary MMC rep. Please send my regards to your colleague LazyAza.

• Like Like x 2
  12. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    "Everything sucks so why is this a problem?" isn't the backpedal you think it is.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I'd like to think he's simply asking people here to gain some perspective since I'm seeing a lot of people flipping out over something they visibly don't fully understand the implications of. Also perhaps pointing out the hypocrisy of some people absolutely blasting a company for how they treat the environment while contributing to the wasteful cycle in their own ways.

I've discussed this issue on multiple places across the web and Tfw2005 is the only one special enough to read this news and go on a rant about the rain forests, the environment and them damn dirty capitalists ruining the world despite capitalism being the best system we have right now and no one's come up with any better alternative. You're missing the bigger problems with this system, is what I'm saying.

This isn't a put-down or whatever, I'm just asking you and others to look at the bigger picture here, and if you don't really know about something maybe it's better to not talk so much about it. This is still a fairly new thing for a lot of people and it can be confusing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    That's funny, because I see a lot of people very well versed in the environmental costs of cryptocurrency and NFTs posting info here and getting shot down with vague "Nah you just don't get it man" techbro BS.

I admit this is a pretty jargony phrase, but I've seen both it and "play pattern" attributed to stuff like Prime Wars and Seige.

It's how devs and designers in the trenches get a bunch of boardroom suits to wrap their head around why it's a good idea that all of your toys interact with each other. Because they're up at the thousand mile view not knowing the difference between a Headmaster and the Hellfire Club.

It's like how Marvel/Disney came up with the concept of a "cinematic universe" and it made a billion dollars so now that's the phrase that gets thrown out at pitch meetings as short hand for "that thing Marvel did."

• Like Like x 7
  15. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    No offense m8 but I'm literally graduating with a degree in environmental science a week from Friday. And this? While not the WORST thing environmentally, its certainly not helping, and its only going to get worse if the people with the big bucks start making money off of it. Best to stop it now, cause unless something major changes, we really don't need another carbon source, especially one so frivolous.

I have my problems with how hasbro does business, and this fandom in general as far as consumerism is concerned, but this takes it to a new level. You CANNOT maintain the air of being eco friendly while producing or endorsing NFTs

• Like Like x 6
  16. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

People who do know a lot about it have been talking about it in this thread. And NFTs have been around since before 2017, so it's not like it's brand new technology that nobody knows anything about.

• Like Like x 4
  17. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Okay but, like, have you considered that...like....dude.

*smokes a bowl*

• Like Like x 3
  18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    All the juice that the servers for YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. is fine. But juice that makes someone a buck is bad for the environment.

• Like Like x 3
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I also feel like server energy costs for NFTs will be pretty negligible because nobody's gonna fucking buy them. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Cybertronian Kitty

News Credits:
    I'd like to know what prevents 1 person from "buying" these jpg art files, screen-grabbing them, and distributing them for free to every transformers news site...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.