Hasbro To Focus More On Digital Games

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 8, 2023.

1. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Heres hoping it doesn't get shelved. That could help the brand out if it's good that is.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Star Wars and Marvel are multibillion dollar properties. Even so, projects like Sony’s Spider-Man games or EA’s Jedi titles have development periods of 4-6 years, costing as much as a full fledged tent pole film.
    THQ Nordic’s Black Forest Games is developing Last Ronin. Whose prior experience has been in ports of Destroy all Humans and making the newest entry in the Bubsy series.

Archon’s comments remain valid. Modern gaming companies are highly resistant to spending $200+ million over 5 years on a major AAA single player experience. At least, not a licensed effort without a strong pedigree for success. Star Wars and Marvel are significant enough properties that companies are willing to take the risk on them. Transformers or GI Joe? Not when more properties with more awareness or a legacy internal brand are more readily available.

• Like Like x 5
  3. NextToNoMoney

NextToNoMoney Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think there was some legal issues with Activision and Hasbro, and that's why they haven't re-released it yet, same with High Moon Studios and the WFC games

Hope we see the New Transformers: Devastation: Rising: Revengence: Tropical Freeze Ultimate Deluxe & Knuckles (With New Funky Mode) (Now Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series) + Bowser's Fury on the Computer eventually, though

• Like Like x 3
  4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have an uncanny ability to focus on the exceptions. Mega IPs like Star Wars and Marvel are so big, and there's enough fandom internally within production studios that there's still desire to make it work. Even then, middling returns on many of those investments as of late may see studios further reconsidering that strategy.

I have no idea what's going on with Ninja Turtles, but I have a feeling Nickelodeon's letting that license go for relatively cheap, because they just want to get the brand out there and become a big-name player among the other major superhero franchises.

But the hard reality of the matter is that AAA studio interest in licensed product is way, way down, compared to as recently as ten to fifteen years ago.

It takes a long time to build up a competent studio. Hasbro unfortunately didn't get into the game early enough to be in WB's position. It's not purely a "throw enough money at it" problem. You need creative leads with solid rapport with their team to execute on a coherent and successful vision. The best games have teams that have been working together for 10+ years, that work together like a well-oiled machine. Try to just slap a studio together, and you too easily have a "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario, where nobody has any idea what the hell they're doing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't fictional. I'm also pretty sure it was more enjoyable than War for Cybertron...

Activision don't have the Transformers licence any more. That's all there is to it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. fartsniffer42

fartsniffer42 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you mean? We already got Transformers Battlegrounds and Earthspark Expeditions within 3 years.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It could be better. Hasbro has showed that it’s not able to keep a toy business without heavy QC issues. It is a good idea to work in the video game area.

It’s not just the well known cheap hollow plastic syndrome, but the last version of CHPS, the yellowing, is heavily affecting sales in favor to KO products with better quality. Really sad that KOs have better quality than official products.

But other companies like Threezero are offering a great quality. This could be the future, offer the license to better companies able to create quality products that Hasbro can not.

8. NextToNoMoney

News Credits:
    I don't know if you know this, but...

9. fartsniffer42

fartsniffer42 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reactivate/Rise has seemingly been in development hell for years

10. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

...we're just not gonna get good TF games for a good while are we? Ugh. Time for FOC replay #164 I guess

• Like Like x 1
  11. NextToNoMoney

News Credits:
    At least it's something, isn't it?

12. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    While all valid points, it does not exactly excuse them only ever going in on shitty small scale games from mediocre or bad studios and nothing else. Especially when their CEO is claiming to want to be part of the big gaming market. A lot of studio owned titles spend hundreds of millions of dollars and end up in the gutter anyway. You make an impact in the gaming market by releasing good triple A titles. The cost of licensing isn’t the real issue, the actual issue is that a lot of gaming companies can’t be bothered to make a well polished good game. That’s all that’s needed to sell well, yet so many of them rush production, add predatory micro transactions or have incomplete management. And then they wonder “why did our game do poorly?”.

As for wanting more fair comparisons in terms of not being from billion dollar movies…
    IMG_0840.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Vurveyann

Vurveyann Fein

Now that you mention, can we get a good racing game instead of Devastation 2? For a franchise where vehicles are half a character's identity it's mind blowing one's never come about.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Nem

Nem Reactivate Historian and ROTF Guy

News Credits:
    I was pretty sure that Hasbro are going to keep funding Reactivate no matter how stagnant development has been (these claims are not baseless but I can't say a lot I said more in the TFR specific threads) but now I'm 100% sure. I don't know how much Hasbro have actually put into Reactivate besides the direct quote of "shitloads" from my sources but I think they're definitely in too much sunk cost to pull out now and these initiatives are them sort of doubling down on it. Hasbro are probably putting a lot on games in general but especially Reactivate being a Live Service Transformers Game after all.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    or look at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

I'd love a Transformers game in that same style.

• Like Like x 5
  16. NextToNoMoney

News Credits:
    Mystery of Convoy: Megatron's Revenge

17. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TOYS - "Drive out costs."
    Translation: Even smaller Transformers, more hollow parts, more outside clip-on wheels, and less paint.

• Like Like x 3
  18. despicablebhao

despicablebhao Well-Known Member

ah yes just hope they don't make a unfinished live service game littered with microtransactions then wonder why people hate them even more.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Retrovaniac

Retrovaniac Bad comedian

News Credits:
    Fingers crossed for remasters of the Cybertron games :bay 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If I take this press release at face value, what it tells me is that Cocks understands that Hasbro's IP can be used as a draw for gaming, especially mobile gaming, but that he doesn't understand WHY those brands are attractive, or how they can be leveraged to deliver a product with maximum appeal.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but as is this seems to point to an age of anything-goes licensing and shovelware, rather than well-supported, prestige video games.

• Like Like x 7