Hasbro stealing pics of a friend of mine and a talented modelbuilder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Autobot 47, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It happened to me before. Hasbro still uses fanart that I made without paying me. I've contacted many lawyers and they all told me that there's nothing I can do since it's fanart of THEIR copyrighted material.

2. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

They do? Seriously? That's pretty sleazy of them not even to give you proper credit. I don't care if what I draw/sketch is something copyrighted, when I fucking make something and someone rips it off and they start getting credit for me I get really pissed off.

3. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

That's the problem with making fanarts/models of copyrighted things. If the company uses your art/models, you can't really do anything about it, since it actually BELONGS to them in a way. If it was a original work, THAN you'd have a better case.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Yeah, the photo's clearly not one Hasbro took themselves, and despite it being their model kit they dont have the rights to any photography they have not paid for or produced themselves. You can clearly still see the watermark from the original photo on the one Hasbro printed.

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Watermark or not, it's their I.P. Nothing can be done.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How do you know the watermarked photo wasn't done up afterward? All we have are two photos...could be he didn't make either of them.

I REMAIN UNCONVINCED.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's not a very good pic to steal. I mean, it's missing the dome turret.

8. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Now while he certainly build the model on his own and put his personal touches to it, the orginal work he took it from is a trademarked property, IE Lucusfilms Ltd., who gave Hasbro right to use said property. Now while being slimy and underhanded and lazy, the said property in question, namely the Y-Wing, is Hasbros, by letter of the law.
    Now that doesnt mean it doesnt stink, but go ahead and try to take legal action. Hasbro will hit him with some bullsh*t whacky countersuit so fast, you'd be traveling faster than the Falcon. And if Lucusfilm Ltd decides to get involved, just walk away. Best you can do at this point is point it out to people and move on, this is a fight you can not win.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We still don't have a picture of the Hasbro box to any idea what it was used for. Why is the pic in space so distorted? I first thought it was a center crease in a page but it shouldn't look like that.

Is the model a Hasbro model to begin with or did he create it from scratch?

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The tl;dr of it all is it is their intellectual property, so any derivative works are really theirs to play with.

TFW2005's own logo has been pulled from some shirt printing sites because of it's similarity to the Autobot and Decepticon logos and sites being too afraid of playing with Hasbro Legal.

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Completely, 100% untrue. If the image is his own photo. One that he actually took, and he can prove it, he has a pretty open and shut case. While Hasbro owns the trademark to the item pictured, they do not, under any circumstances, own the photo itself.

Using the photo, in a for profit venture, without the original photographers express written consent is a clear cut case of copyright infringement. If the photographer can prove that the photo is indeed his, almost any lawyer would be chomping at the bit to take that case.

I help handle image licensing for a large national corporation (and have been doing so for nearly 9 years now) and deal with this exact situation on a near daily basis.

12. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That is incorrect. Hasbro owns the intellectual property pictured, not the photograph itself and does not own any de facto rights to any photographs taken.

13. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Joe Moore is smart.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Joe Moore has it right I would think. They used the photo without permission. Your friend needs to get a lawyer on this.

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

In fact as I recall a photographer took an unauthorized photo of some ironman movie stuff published it, then it got used by the ironman movie in official capacity and the photographer filed a successful suit against the movie production.

So the dude who took the photo has case.

16. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

This is what I'm getting at.
    Not reading the whole thread, this is what I was going to say. It's their product. I'm not sure how much someone artistic idea of it could go for them. It think it was worker surf the net and found it and use it as their own.

17. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

If he does file anything, Hasbro will probably just throw a bit of money at him and fix the packaging.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't know how people can say those aren't the same thing - they obviously are. Every little paint detail matches up in both, and the watermark is the icing on the cake. The Hasbro one is darker and grainier, but they're damn sure the same thing.

Not cool, Hasbro. Not cool.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Though it's crummy of Hasbro to steal a pic, I would honestly be kinda flattered if they thought my pictures of custom decos were worth ripping off. :lol 

20. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    For everyone saying they have ownership of the product, threfore they canuse it is wrong. He paid for, painted, built, and photographed the moel himself. Therefor he owns the rights to pics of that one individualy.