Hasbro Should Stick With Modulators

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by agent j 15, Oct 19, 2020.

1. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Noah's Freshman Album

News Credits:
    It's essentially the Borg.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I have Airwave and found him pretty dull. A lone Deluxe is too small and too vague to do the concept justice, and I really don't feel like buying several more to try to justify it.

3. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

While true of all the accessory bots, it is especially true of the modulators: More is better. And given how most series improve their designs as they progress, with only 2 modulator molds, the designers never really got to spread their wings.

Micromasters NEVER made sense to me, and I always felt they were the death knell of the line's relevance in G1 (where the chased trends instead of setting them).

Mostly because they need to have something to interact with, and it is hard to establish a new IP. Hasbro already has a line of transforming robots, so it makes sense to stick them here.

I think that is the fault of Hasbro for relying too heavily on reworking existing molds with a limiting gimmick. I don't think anyone is saying that they want a dozen repaints of Ironworks and Airwave.

As for Fasttrack, this is the first I've heard that he was supposed to be bundled with Scorponok. Given that they weaponized Six Gun, Cog, and Brunt, are you sure this is the case?

I kind of line the robot mode but overall find him weaker than Ironworks. Really the most fun I had with him was arguing about the artwork on Fasttrack's package. Still I think there is a lot of potential for modulators if they were to continue with the idea and maybe throw some track accessory packs out there.

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only modular figure is Centurion Drone, and I don't really like that he needs to come apart to transform into vehicle mode.

5. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Ask not why, rather ask why not?

News Credits:
    Considering they came out at the same time as Action Masters, it felt to me like the franchise was pretty much in it's death throes and trying to latch onto ANYTHING to try and maintain relevance. They had strayed too far from the core of the series. Tiny cars that all transformed the same? Transformers who couldn't transform?

• Like Like x 1
  6. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As someone all in on the Micromasters conceit in WFC, I'm down for any more MMs they give. I am at least happy they gave us all the stations that originally came out even if we didn't complete most teams and we didn't see any of the bases or large vehicles or other offerings they had. Yeah, you can throw the fan mode for Star Convoy in there and we sort of have the rocket base using Sky Lynx. But having gone in with the extra roads Nonnef made for Omega (to the tune of around 10-14, can't remember), I was really hoping for a bevy of small buildings to build out my personal Autobot City. Now do I have the TR bases to add in for the grander scaled buildings and most of the modern figures with base modes to do such a city? Yeah, I guess. But I really like the specifically MM sized stuff too, kind of the undercity the larger bots step around, as a neat concise thing.

7. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Half a month before their release everyone was harping on how the micromasters were a fail concept and now this :lol :lol 

Anyways. I was excited to have a new version and more excited when I discovered that they are roughly the same size with the old ones, and virtually the same, but with added balljoints.

I was SUPER excited when I learned that they would return the bases. Then I saw the robot modes and knew that in order to accommodate the gimmick something had to be axed, thats hasbro/TT after all.... And what got axed eventually was the size as I discovered with Ironworks....
    Despite this I got Greasepit and I plan on getting airwave, but thats it. Sizewise they just dont cut it for me. Too small to be of any significance or even having any play value. The weaponiser gimmick is not interesting to me as I dont want random bits to stick out of a clean robot mode and pretend that they are guns or wielding have a roadblock and pretend its a shield.....

Should they release others that are more sizeable I might bite.....

8. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't buy any more of the micro bases after owning the two sold at retail, but I would happily support more Weaponizers or Fossilizers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thebricklord

Thebricklord Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed every single modulator I have had the chance to mess with. So far I only have Six-guns and Ironworks but each of them was super fun. I plan on getting Airwave and Paleotrex as well. This play pattern is fun and honestly supplements the toyline as a whole.

10. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    Oh I would love for some more modulators. I'm dissapointed that there weren't more unique molds produced for them, and I wish we got like a building or more conventional town structures. My dissapointment has even led me to decide to get 4 of each modulator character (or 16 in the end). I wish they would've continued but I think that what they gave us was great.

Oh come on man:
    EknQeysX0AA0i5O.jpg EknQffzW0AACvag.jpg EknQgUPXYAEz_Fg.jpg Credit to twitter user Gavin Spence @GeshGav

• Like Like x 10
  11. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why I love the Weaponizers and why I'm excited about the Fossilizers.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Revoltech Chip Chase

They really could get away with a line dedicated to modulators. Make it cross-compatible with other Hasbro properties toi.

13. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Much like how Apeface and Snapdragon were TR-compatible but came years later, I hope we can get more weaponizers/modulators in the future. Just as a single toy or two once in a bit.

(although to be fair, this is basically my wish for all of the gimmicks)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kazimir

Kazimir Well-Known Member

I enjoy the modulators well enough, and would like more. Leader class Rocket Base would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  15. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    I love all the modulators/Weaponizers that i have, and I'm sure that I'll love the Fossilizers. If they keep coming out with more, I'm definitely grabbing them. Heck, I want an entire line of nothing buy these guys.

16. x1n4rk

x1n4rk Active Member

Modulators aren't for everyone, but they're fun for building bases and contraptions, as well as a hulking behemoth or two — though some of the best builds always seem to need multiples, treating them less like stand-alone figures, and more like a Transformer-ized LEGO set.

So if Modulators were to continue in some form, only in larger size classes, I'd hope we'd still be seeing larger builds made out of over a dozen components similarly-sized to Ironworks and Airwave, rather than, say, six or seven giant elements. It'd help the play pattern, and who knows? Maybe it would also help to give the current Modulators some new part-swapping options!

17. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    I’m actually really excited for the fossilizers

• Like Like x 2
  18. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I'd be intrigued to see a Titan that plays well with Modulators.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Honestly, one of my favorite parts of WFC was the fact they brought back the Micromasters. I was a late 80s baby and was around just in time to have a bunch of the Micromaster patrols before G2 started up, so seeing them come back alongside the Modulator bases was pretty exciting for me. I'm pretty sad to see them go, and in the back of my mind I'll always be hoping they'll come back as their own subline later on, like a more serious Botbots situation.

20. Ditko

Ditko Well-Known Member

Hear Hear! That's what I want as well.

I said a while ago I was disappointed.....highly disappointed that the concept wasn't fleshed out more. Then really upset when it went towards Beast Wars, no offense Beast Wars fans. I quieted down since Sky Lynx kind of has a solid base mode and likewise Skorponok. But more bases, at Voyager and Leader scale of things that could make a city infrastructure would be all kinds of cool.