Hasbro & Shapeways Enable 3D Printing Fan Art with SuperFanArt

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by fakebusker83, Jul 21, 2014.

1. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    A bold move by Hasbro for sure. VERY smart too.

I don't give two craps about MLP, but what this could mean for TF and a few other Hasbro brands is awesome.

2. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Individual ordering from hasbro now this couple years from now collecting will be a different ball game

3. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Holy scrow! Go Brock go!

4. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    This is brilliant.

I have been saying for a while that Hasbro needs to embrace the Online community and this is the perfect way to do it. Hasbro can now create Transformers weapons packs and even mini figures and missing pieces quickly and easily and do it in the united states, on a small scale, without having to do promotion and packaging.

This is absolutely genius.

Now the next thing they need to do? Begin hiring Shapeways builders and designs.

5. DoctorJoe

DoctorJoe who?

my guess is this: CHECK THE FINE PRINT. They may be doing this to retain some rights to the fan designed project... aka all of the third party unlicenced products. If you could get a fan designed transformer printed and then released at a later date en masse if it proves successful, then hasbro would be making money. Think of it this way, they are outsourcing for designers without having to pay people to come up with cool new ideas.

6. DoctorJoe

DoctorJoe who?

you think if you submitted a cool design they would only print it and send 1 copy to you? ...no way if they think they can use it themsleves.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Printing/designing stupid little horse shaped lumps is one thing, but printing/designing printed figures with tens of moving parts, tight tolerances and multiple joints is a whole different ballgame.

This may be the first step, but printed transformers are step 165. Don't expect them any time soon. We'll be lucky to get to pick the head on some generic frame and maybe a body panel or two.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  8. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Good one lol.

2 things:
    1 - a lot of the pony figures are single molded and are the perfect thing for this experiment.

2 - Given the average transformers fans responses to official hasbro releases, let alone shapeways hasbro releases, transformers would not be a good place to start.

It will be interesting to see how safety implications such as CE marking affect this type of product. I wouldn't expect to see transformers add on kits but the prospect of 3d printing spares is interesting.

9. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it not sad that Hasbro has to emphasize that the art can't be obscene..?

*Looks at deviantArt MLP fan art...*

Oh god... never mind... Quite warranted!

Partial joking aside... I can see some pros and cons from this...

The one major pro is that making "add ons" via Shapeways won't be a "gray area" like 3rd Party items... it's fan art. Hasbro says so. Another is that Hasbro might be actively seeking particularly talented designers.

The major con..? Depending on the terms of the deal... Hasbro may be entitled to part of the proceeds... which could mean even more cut from the designer. (Need to read more to see if that's the case though.)

10. Che

Che Well-Known Member

Yeah, the only problem is the freaking shipping cost from shapeways...

11. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm very pleased to see that Hasbro are willing new to embrace new technology and markets. Those who adapt, survive.

12. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    o...obviously, it's a shot at 3rd party

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Are... there a lot of My Little Pony customs and 3D artists?

Not that I would buy anything from them, but I wouldn't mind seeing what fans are doing.

14. chroma23

chroma23 Well-Known Douchebag

Facebook:
    not sure what to make out of this. its like our design rights will be given up to hasbro

like post #25 said, it's possible that hasbro can take your 3d model file and use it however you want. i have no interest in giving my 3d model for use by any other party or person except myself

or, as the press release says:

"We expect to see many more partnerships like this, to enable user generated content to be 3D printed based on existing intellectual property, with fair attribution and compensation for all parties involved."

the way i see this is, a loyalty fee will be taken away from us by shapeways and handed over to hasbro.....

well i guess i will take off all transformers tags and references and make it look like some generic robot parts

15. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just hope the print quality looks better than the current fuzzy soapstone of the typical WSF stuff.
    Also, most of the Shapeways stuff is very pricey. I kind of hope that changes.

16. yummehcheese

yummehcheese Well-Known Member

There's a hell of a lot, quite honestly. Hasbro ignored the calls for show accurate ponies and such for a very long time, so it was natural to see customs and 3D artists crop up all over the place.

But that hole's been filled with accurate toys, and Hasbro sent C&D's to a lot of artists in the past.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I would imagine that there would be some type of "UPLOAD TO HASBRO" thing that people can use, should they wish to do so.
    If they chose not to then they could probably maintain their Shapeways store without HASBRO interference.

18. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    Indeed. One of the figures in the article picture started out as a 3D-Model that was bought by an MLP-merchandise site and produced as a figure.

And about customs... I think it rivals Transformers, people go crazy with custom pony figures, statues, plush toys and more.

19. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know whether to be excited by this or to think my days are numbered...

But it looks like Hasbro is taking the "fan-friendly" approach and avoiding the ill-will generated by laying the smackdown.

20. chroma23

chroma23 Well-Known Douchebag

Facebook:
    i feel that by "uploading to hasbro" there will be legal implications; you are basically handing over your files to them. and what good will it be for us creators to upload to hasbro as supposed to keeping it at shapeways? maybe better exposure but thats pretty much it

if you think about it, whats in it for a big corporation like hasbro to do this so-called "partnership" all of a sudden. the only thing i can think of that is beneficial to the company (and their bottom line) is loyalty fees

i guess i will call my parts generic robot addons, can be for gundam or what not, to dodge the hasbro bullet lol