Hasbro SEC Filing - eOne, Paramount Pictures, COVID-19 And More

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 8, 2020.

1. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's what I am wondering I've seen zero people upset toys are delayed.
    I've seen more people claiming people are being man children about toys being delayed

• Like Like x 2
  2. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey...I saw something that made me think. Is it possible that the viral thing happening after the holidays that kicked everyone's butt wasnt just some virus but do to the fact lots of people got stuff on express shipping on products from that part of the world. What if Covid-19 was here for months and we never knew it

I'm uhh trying to convince myself it's not a big deal

Anyways hope hasbro can comeback from this

3. Scypris

Scypris Fire in another hole!

News Credits:
    Which wasn't the point in my post at least. I could care less about the toys. Just the whole ordeal as a whole. Canceling sporting events, closing schools, etc. Just seems a bit much. Thats a lot of revenue lost canceling events like March madness, NBA, and the MLB.

And working in retail is a nightmare right now. Having to deal with this unessesary panic is really annoying for me.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Since I'm still seeing a lot of "unncessary panic" comments:

Hospitals' intensive care units in the part of Italy that's affected the worst are PACKED. Staffers have to work exhaustive 14-hour-shifts, and some have already gotten sick as well. New infections and deaths are STILL rising despite the drastic measures taken last week. Doctors are finding themselves at the point where they have to decide who still has a chance of survival, and who is a lost cause. Funerals are largely banned.

You all have to understand: This is not just some mildly inconveniencing seasonal flu that kills a few dozen people. This is worse. Yes, it's not a super-deadly killer plague, but it does put a major strain on health care systems that have alrady been pushed to their limits for maximum profit.

Please allow me to reiterate some of the things I wrote in the other thread over in General Discussion:

The numbers regarding new infections and deaths arguably can't be compared to the flu because there are unprecedented measures taken to prevent the spread of this disease. The numbers would probably be even higher if this got the same level of response as the flu.

SARS-CoV-2 is not a deadly killer virus. It's just extremely contagious, and there are some risk groups (elderly people, people with pre-existing conditions, people with compromised immune systems) for whom Covid-19 can be a death sentence. For anyone with a solid immune system, the effects can range from "no symptoms at all" to "mild flu" to "nasty flu". Ultimately, their immune system will get rid of the virus.

The main problems are:
    A) It's more contagious than a normal flu.
    B) It can be contagious even if the carrier shows no symptoms at all.
    C) For the aforementioned risk groups, the mortalitly rate appears to be worse than for a flu.

I'd like to reiterate some very basic yet important common sense rules each of you should try to follow to help slow down the spread of this fucker:

1) Make sure to regularly wash your hands properly. Use soap. Try to wash them for at least 20 seconds, or even better yet, 30.
    2) Try not to touch your face, mouth, nose or eyes with your hands unless you have properly washed them.
    3) Avoid handshakes. If anyone gives you a hard time, say "better safe than sorry". If the other person gets pissy, fuck that idiot.
    4) Try to minimize personal contact with those risk groups (elderly people, people with pre-existing conditions, people with compromised immune systems) until we're sure the worst is over. Keep in mind this is not a permanent personal contact embargo. It's temporary. You can hug and kiss all you want when this shit is over. Just try your best to make sure the other person is still around to hug and kiss a few weeks from now.
    5) Try not to load off your kids at your parents' place. While your kids are the least likely to actually get sick, they can still carry and spread the virus, and your parents might be part of the risk group.
    6) Don't be an idiot. This is not the apocalypse. Keeping one pack of toilet paper is fine. Two, even, if you have a large family. There's no need to stockpile a year's worth of toilet paper.
    7) Don't be an ass. Don't steal hand sanitizers, surgical gloves or surgical masks. Especially don't steal them from the people who really need them, i.e. hospitals, doctors and nurses.

I think we can all agree that even the immediate medical aspect aside, this is becoming a huge event on the scale of 9/11, if not larger, that will have huge rippling aftereffects for the foreseable future no matter what.

Whether the end result will be a better world with a wiser humanity that will learn from this crisis, or a partial or complete breakdown of the economy, or possible even society as we know it, we'll have to see.

• Like Like x 17
  5. lonewolf96

lonewolf96 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do not think this virus will bring about the end of the world.

I do think this will strain the world economy and strain modern civilizations for many years to come.

However there have been much worse outbreaks throughout history.

Example

The Spanish flu killed nearly 50 million world wide at a time when there was nothing reassembling medical treatment.

Compare events like this and many others and youll see how much better off the world is.

The 12 deadliest viruses on Earth | Live Science

Outbreak: 10 of the Worst Pandemics in History - MPH Online

• Like Like x 3
  6. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

That is rather informative. Still yeah, i think i'm worried more about the economic ramifications of the aftermath rather than the disease itself. Doesn't help with the whole stress i've been having lately.

7. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I don't think anyone is downplaying the amount of people affected by the virus, but I think some people are skeptical about how unique it is. Flu doesn't just kill a few dozen people every year....it kills thousands and thousands. We view that as normal, meanwhile we shut down everything for this.

I'm sure there are reasons that make a lot of these measures smart (lack of vaccine, etc), but I think it's a bit wrong to call people who are less concerned with this "uninformed". Many have their reasons, and it certainly makes sense that there is disagreement about this safety scare- especially when the measures to mitigate the threat might lead to a lot of hardship.

• Like Like x 2
  8. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As @Nevermore said, the reason this pandemic virus is being responded to so robustly and is causing such panic, isn't so much because of its overall likely infection total (which will likely end up being less annually than influenza, but still significant) or whatever its CFR ends up being (which nevertheless looks very likely to be significantly above influenza,) but because there's also a very high percentage of hospitalizations and ICU cases associated with it. In china, incidence of severe potentially hospitalizable disease was as high as 14%. The Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Outbreak in China—Summary of a China CDC Report And we are seeing similarly high numbers of hospitalizations and severe disease in the hardest hit countries outside of China now as well, particularly Italy.

Part of the reason for concern, is the doubling rate. It's estimated in China it was roughly every 6.4 days. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30260-9/fulltext#seccestitle130

Compare that to the rate of confirmed cases, as just one example, in the U.S.

February 23 35 cases https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0223-sitrep-34-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=44ff8fd3_2
    February 29 62 cases https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0229-sitrep-40-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=849d0665_2
    March 6 148 cases https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_4
    March 12 987 cases https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0312-sitrep-52-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=e2bfc9c0_2

Scarily consistent, and within 2 months unless it peaks or slows before that, that is going to translate to a million cases potentially (the CDC suggests far more than that in models.) That in turn is plausible, because China - where some of the most intensive and severe containment measures in history were employed - they still didn't see a peak for 2 to 4 months. (Only now, in recent days, are they confident in confirming their peak has passed.)

And that's just the confirmed cases. Keep in mind that there are always (including in the total global number, and the number in China) going to be potentially many more than confirmed via testing. One model suggested as much as 10% more in China alone (the same model also suggested the outbreak actually began in November and was silently present long before detection, adding credence to the idea that it can be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers.) And as of the date I last posted in the above list, March 12, the U.S. had only tested around 30 people per every million. So the possibility - indeed the likelihood - exists that there is a substantial undiagnosed population responsible for the sustained community transmission we are now seeing, which can and will fuel that exponential doubling rate, if not checked or slowed.

Now imagine 1 million confirmed cases in the U.S. by two months from now (and remember it could also be more,) and up to 14% of that number requiring hospitalization. That's 140,000 people. And that's just based on confirmed cases. The reason the total global number is currently below that is that there are many more undiagnosed cases than confirmed cases likely undeway that we will simply never know about. The silver lining in that of course is that it likely means the final CFR will indeed end up being significantly lower than current estimates.

But again that's not the issue. The issue is the risk of systemic institutional shock within the healthcare system becoming overwhelmed within a very short period of time by hospitalizations and people potentially requiring critical care... and many more dying than would otherwise, because there simply won't be enough beds, respirators, and other essential life saving resources, without setting up field hospitals. That's why you read about field hospitals being set up in China, not just for quarantine purposes, but due to sheer numbers.

So, all of these mitigation efforts (social distancing, enhanced hygiene, closures, quarantines, etc.) are not intended to contain a virus which if unchecked will kill huge percentages of our species. Rather, they are intended to slow the spread, lower that doubling rate, and reduce the intensity and pace of the peak, so as to avoid our medical systems being overwhelmed, and to protect the vulnerable. Even if you never get sick, you can infect someone who could die or end up in the hospital. The mitigation efforts are critical to protect both lives and medical infrastructure (which in turn also saves lives) in a worst case scenario.

And in complying with those efforts, those unlikely to be affected (though it is a myth that it only affects the old and the sick - even the whistleblower physician who reported it first in China was only in his early 30s and died - and the ensuing cytokine storm has proven quite capable of rapidly leading to respiratory and multiple organ failure in otherwise fairly young, healthy adults, albeit far rarer than the elderly and/or already sick or immunocompromised) aren't protecting themselves so much as precisely those people: the aged, sick, chronically unhealthy, immunocompromised, or otherwise likely to become seriously ill.

The less likely the spread is to accelerate, the lower the peak, and the slower it arrives, the less overwhelmed our medical systems will be, and the less likely preventable deaths will be to occur. And the safer the vulnerable will be. And hey, if the worst case scenarios turn out to be dead wrong? Great. We dodged a bullet. And I agree panicking isn't going to help anyone. But prudent efforts to slow this thing down will save lives. That's a fact.

Not everything is about us as individuals. Some things are about society as a whole. This is one of those things.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
  9. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The closely-guarded actual truth is that COVID-19 stands for Cobra Viral Incursion Deployment 2019.

Everyone thought it was fiction, but it wasn't. Watch out for neighbors named Fred.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pluto

pluto Banned

I live in aus, our health system kinda rules (globally speaking), our social security is...fine, corona hasn't really hit us as hard as elsewhere, I am not old and not immunocompromised, but I know many people who are. So while I am not a risk factor for myself, I am making sure I wash my hands, and keep my large social gatherings to a minimum because I give the bare minimum of a shit about people. Our health system is gonna fuckn implode if people don't take this seriously, can you imagine the carnage in the us if the same thing doesn't happen?

• Like Like x 3
  11. gluejohn

gluejohn Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    I’m not a worry-wart by any stretch, but I, like many others, have people in my life that could be seriously affected by this.

I’ll take temporary (even if it is weeks or months) inconvenience while this thing does the rounds, over permanent and potentially avoidable loss of my loved ones.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Roadblock1977

Roadblock1977 Well-Known Member

All I'm gonna say is I'm not in any way upset about Hasbro closing their offices for awhile. I can wait for new product... Besides, there are much bigger things to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we do shut down everything it will literally save millions of lives. Its not ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    But it will inconvenience me!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I’m a bit saddened by some of the posts in this thread.

17. Scypris

Scypris Fire in another hole!

News Credits:
    Literally never said that but ok man.

18. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let it go man. Everyone is just tense and polarized.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I know this is a chliché, but trust me, it is going to get worse before it gets better.

The question is, how long will it take until it gets better?

• Like Like x 1
  20. lonewolf96

lonewolf96 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Id say worldwide 1 million cases at least before things hopefully slow down.

In the united states id say are in for a rough 6 months at least

• Like Like x 1
  21. pluto

pluto Banned

IMG_0219.JPG
    <the pick axe is free immunisation, when it's developed>

• Like Like x 1