Hasbro Renews Live Action Movie Contract With Paramount For Transformers And G.I. Joe

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Oct 4, 2022.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I mean, okay. I sympathized with Hasbro when Paramount screwed them twice on GI Joe and then again with RotB....but now if it happens again they've got no oen to blame but themselves.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

The G.I. Joe movies were terrible. This is coming from someone that liked the Bay movies, at least for HT demo purposes. :eek: 

• Like Like x 5
  4. IronWaveJRG

IronWaveJRG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I guess this settles the "Hasbro is finished with Paramount" argument

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    did-we-just-lose-star-lord.gif

• Like Like x 20
  6. PloverNutter

PloverNutter TFW2005: We're buying them but we don't like them.

News Credits:
    How did they screw them over on RotB? It doesn't even have a trailer out yet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Both the Joe movies and the Bay movies were terrible, one just managed to survive while the other rightfully fizzled out. In an ideal world they both would've crashed and burned only to get picked up later by someone who gave a shit and made a decent set of films.

For now, sure.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Sweet, happy we're getting more Transformers movies, shows confidence in the brand.

I also like the confidence in the Joe brand, but if they're gonna take another crack at a Joe movie, please be more like Retaliation and less like Snake Eyes or RoC.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The fact this happened after Paramount yanked the rug out from under Hasbro with the ROTB premiere date fiasco suggests that either Hasbro legitamately has faith in Paramount righting this ship...or perhaps they literally couldn't find another studio who wanted to take on what is still honestly a somewhat tainted franchise as far as Hollywood goes.

Or the lessons from TLK weren't learned at all, which is my thoughts regarding what an absolute shitshow ROTB's plot sounds like.

Regardless, Hasbro's going all in with Paramount...again...and it's not going to end well. For them. I'm going to just sit back and laugh while it all burns because a bunch of idiots running these companies somehow think getting rid of Knight, the only guy who actually understood how to do a Transformers film, was a good idea, while keeping Lorenzo who has proven to be nothing but a clueless idiot that doesn't understand how to handle toy based franchises.

Hasbro announced the release date of ROTB with big fanfare during Hascon as being summer 2022 at the beginning of this year...literally the next day (or some point during the week, not entirely sure), Paramount comes out and announces the movie has been delayed a year.

• Like Like x 15
  10. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whelp everyone is screwed

• Like Like x 6
  11. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Didn't realize it was a question if they would renew or not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ractonite

Ractonite Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm seriously hoping ROTB does well or this might be the end of this franchise.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jrod1019

jrod1019 Troubleshooter

So does that mean GI Joe is getting re-re-rebooted again cause they are failing there. 

• Like Like x 1
  14. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope they do another Joe movie that unites the cast of Rise of Cobra with the cast of Retailiation.
    Especially Breaker and Scarlett. Sad they didn't return for Retaliation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    So on top of losing the exposure and revenue of RotB dropping this year, they had already produced and started readying RotB toys to ship to hit the original release date. Now all of that stuff is sitting somewhere costing them money because they can't put a bunch of toys on shelves tied to a movie that isn't out.

We know this because it's not the first time Paramount screwed Hasbro by delaying a release at the last minute. You'll recall a few years ago "GI Joe: Retaliation" (the sequel to Rise of Cobra) was pushed back a full year for a 3D up-conversion nobody asked for. Leaving Hasbro with a bunch of toys already going out to stores and sitting on shelves with nothing to help market them.

And this most recently delay comes on the heels of their Marvel Legends line getting completely blown up by Disney shifting release dates around out from underneath them due to COVID. Meaning Black Widow, Shang Chi, and to a lesser extent Eternals, all had toys sitting on shelves with no movie to help sell them.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The contract was supposed to have been renewed before even the original release date of ROTB almost a year ago, but between the delays and Goldner's sudden death, things got complicated and thus it was believed Hasbro would wait to see how ROTB did first to see if continuing a working partnership with Paramount was in their best interest.

Now it's a question if Hasbro is working in Hasbro's best interest. If ROTB flops, among other things the new CEO isnt going to look good if he can't pass this off as something he simply inherited from Goldner.

It'll kill live action movies for a long time, but the franchise itself will endure.

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot this fucked Hasbro over because they couldn't release the toys, to the point those smash changers or whatever had to be sent back to the factory and repackaged in generic Cyberverse boxes. In the later stages of the pandemic, no less, where storage space and even shipping containers are at high demand.

I wonder if the contract renewal has an escape clause for Hasbro such that if ROTB bombs, they can cancel it. Because as you put it, this whole relationship between Paramount and Hasbro seems weirdly abusive.

• Like Like x 6
  17. troglodyteman217

troglodyteman217 Doritoscream fangirl

News Credits:
    directly below the enemy scrotum AKA Greece
    Even if the movie is shit I hope it does atleast competently in the box office. I only care about the figures.
    Hell no lol. Might be the end of the movie franchise but Transformers as a brand does and is still doing great

• Like Like x 2
  18. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Yup. It's going to take a lot to kill Transformers outright. But it was the huge financial success of the early Bay films that gave the line enough muscle to expand as wide as it did there for a while. Without that kind of income we'll likely see things scale back or go further in to exclusives to make up the cost difference.

I have no idea why they haven't done a GI Joe/Transformers movie yet. You could probably even get the Rock back for something like that. And if not, John Cena is probably available.

Shit, Hasbro owns Power Rangers outright as well. Just do the giant Hasbro clusterf**k already.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

[​IMG]

I eagerly await the inevitable garbage fires!

• Like Like x 16
  20. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Especially Snake Eyes! Baaaaaaarf!

• Like Like x 4