Hasbro Overwatch "Legends"

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Starfire22, Nov 2, 2018.

1. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    D.VA is gonna be a challenge. while i could see them doing a figure that can fit in the mekka i can also see them doing a mekka with her molded in then a single release of the 'baby d.va'. i'd like to think they'd go all out and have a removable figure but who knows.....either way the mekka itself is going to be massive

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I was thinking they'd probably have her come apart at the waist, and plug inside.

3. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I hope they'll do one with a removable D.va. Maybe MEKA with like basic articulation D.Va and fully poseable D.Va in Ultimates line? Just have the back of MEKA be able to open lol

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Having a removable figure would likely require new neck joint technology as very few figures have been released with the ability to look straight up at the angle required. I’d say a torso sculpted into the cockpit with basic articulation in the arms and swiveling head is far more likely.

5. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I'm hoping they would make something that can look straight up! There are some Marvel Legends that do a decent job of looking straight up enough lol. Only issue I would see is hair getting in the way so maybe permanent head looking up :/ I have hope in Hasbro though!

Got to mess a bit with Reinhardt more today. Great figure but he is pretty top heavy so it could be a bit of trouble having him stand up at times. Also looking at Sombra more, I'm really impressed with her face. Will pick up the rest o the series at some point. Here's some pictures for fun though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. IamSoundwave

IamSoundwave Well-Known Member

My second copy of Tracer’s left hand does not want to come out at all. I’ve tried the hairdryer trick, but it didn’t work. Any suggestions?

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went ahead and ordered Sombra and Pharmercy off of Amazon. No one around here is stocking these things yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    My local Walmart just put out the single figures last night after I ordered Sombra from Amazon. Brickseek says they have 4 of the 2-packs but they haven’t put them out yet. I’ll probably give it another week or two then get them from Amazon.

9. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Sombra is still a day out, but I got my Pharmercy pack today. For the price, I'm pretty content. Pharah's right bicep was obscenely loose out of the box, but a few dabs of floor polish has already helped and I have more where that came from if I need it. I'm a little disappointed in her elbows (90 degrees; lame), but she's goddamn gorgeous and she looks amazing on the included flight stand. With the Figma Pharah probably clocking in at $90, I can happily pay less than half of this to also get Mercy as a pack-in accessory.

Mercy herself is... well, she's fine. Even as a support main, I've never been a big Mercy fan. She's perfectly fine, though. She has her staff (sadly only in open mode), she has her gun, she has an effect part and the casually open hand I wish Pharah had. I'd probably be willing to trade Pharah's big, dumb Swedish Fish effect parts for some collapsed Mercy wings, but on the whole I'm content with the two-pack's second feature.

On the whole, I'm definitely happy and I am going to spend a stupid amount of money on the rest of this line.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Man, I don't play Overwatch and know nothing about the characters, but damned if I don't want to pick them up after seeing these at Target today just based on the sheer bad ass factor. I was able to stop myself from getting the Figma releases due to price, but at $20 a pop I might not be able to resist.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do at least watch the animated shorts on YouTube, if you haven't already. They're fantastic, and give some fairly decent insight into the characters involved and their motivations. There's also some pretty juicy bio stories for the characters on the official website.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Might just have to look into those shorts. I wasn't aware of them so thanks for the heads up... and I can just hear my wife now... :lol 

13. Admiral Prime

Admiral Prime Broken Faucet Repairman

News Credits:
    You know who I'd really want from this line?
    [​IMG]
    Not a single company has done anything related to Archives.
    Hasbro
    Please

• Like Like x 1
  14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The release order of the shorts thus far goes like:

"Cinematic Trailer"
    Recall
    Alive
    Dragons
    Hero
    Last Bastion
    Infiltration
    Rise and Shine
    Honor and Glory
    Shooting Star
    Reunion

There's also short motion comic-style videos for Tracer, Soldier 76, and the "Origins" videos for all the post-launch heroes (Ana, Sombra, Moira, Orisa, Moira, Brigitte, Ashe, Baptiste). Doomfist's Origins video was instead fully animated in an anime-esque style and is also spectacular.

Also available are a series of mini-comics on the game's website that also serve as character spotlights, mostly featuring characters that haven't been featured in the animations so far. Not quite as well-received as the animated shorts, though, mostly because they're too short and perfunctory to tell a satisfying story. The comic "Searching" does follow up somewhat on the pseudo-cliffhanger of the Infiltration short, though. A short story featuring Ana and Soldier: 76 was also released, as a follow-up to the "Old Soldiers" comic.

There was supposed to be a graphic novel release from Dark Horse comics that would have told a more complete backstory of the Overwatch organization, but that was cancelled at seemingly the last minute because it no longer jived with the team's internal canon.

That's about the gist of the official lore that's been released for the game, outside of the snippets we get from the in-game Archives seasonal events, and various character dialogues.

I think what really stands out about the character writing for Overwatch is how surprisingly nuanced the cast is. The writings for each are relatively brief, but collectively, they're a lot that have suffered from a lot of personal tragedies and hardships, and have found ways to stand up against those setbacks and carve out their own niches. It's all in service to the game's MO of creating identifiable and inspiring heroes from all walks of life.

That's been a bit of a double-edged sword, though. The creator's intent was really just to give one-and-done backstories to inform the fans of who these characters are and to form their personalities, and just set them free, a la Street Fighter 2. But the characters are so interesting, and the scraps of lore we've gotten so tantalizing, that the fans just plain want more, where they simply weren't very prepared to do that. So the fans complain that the game's lore has stagnated, whereas the creator's intent wasn't to bottleneck the narrative so definitively.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Switchblade

News Credits:
    You forgot Shooting Star between Honor and Glory and Reunion.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Maybe we can get a figure of Talon Baptiste, with a head swap for a standard Talon Trooper.

That I did.

On that topic, I know that some people didn't care for that one as much because it didn't really have much story to tell, but I was personally fine with it. It was more a character showcase than a story highlight, and it gave some much needed depth to what was probably the most shallow character in the game's roster (aside Zenyatta, but his character archetype demands less exploration).

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind some of them but I don't want them enough to pay $25 at BBTS and I hate Hasbro too much to pay $20 at Pulse.

God, I would be terrified to sell Hasbro product with Hasbro directly undercutting me like that.

18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Your weird little hang-ups still baffle me. Regardless of where you buy these from, the money's still going to Hasbro. So your boycott or whatever it is you want to call it is absolutely meaningless.

Also, undercut nothing. The MSRP on the single figures is $19.99. The $25 pricing that BBTS has on the singles is their own prerogative. An extra buffer against unsold stock, I imagine, as inevitably there's going to be at least one less popular figure (my bet's on Reaper/Blackwatch Reyes, because he's not in his standard uniform. While there are some collectors for sure who will be interested in the variant costumes, I think most will want to be "economical" and focus on the "main" cast, where available).

As far as BBTS goes, you're also often paying for the "service" of not having to deal with distribution woes or unfavourable case packs.

19. Switchblade

News Credits:
    You can get at least some of them for MSRP on Amazon.

20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    IIRC he's not too friendly with Amazon, either.