Hasbro Overwatch "Legends"

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Starfire22, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Thanks! I'll add it. I thought maybe it would be a Blizzard exclusive but if it is, it's not up yet.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen Gold Soldier at Wal-Mart in Canada.

3. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Oh I didn't think there was Walmarts in Canada. Maybe I'm thinking of Targets. If you saw it in person and are willing to pick it up, I'd like to buy it.

4. Fleebnork

Fleebnork Well-Known Member

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just picked up Tracer today for my daughter, who is frighteningly good as her in the game.
    Overall, not bad. I wish the elbows moved a bit better and had a deeper bend to allow the mock salute, but it's quite a nice figure.

• Like Like x 4
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, Targets we don't have, but Walmarts have been around since I was a kid. We used to have a store called Zellers years ago that was basically Target, then they closed down, then a select few became Targets, then those closed down because they were awful.

Walmart has pretty soundly beaten almost all other big retailers of that breed. The fact that TRU still survives here is, TBH, a minor miracle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I remember Zellers from a trip I took to Canada when I was a kid. Bought a MSIA Mobile Armor Gallop from there (if you're not familiar with Gundam, it's basically an big orange action figure storage box made to look like a hovercraft). Yeah, from those who knew about the Canadian Targets, the consensus was that they sucked.

Alright, well if anyone from Canada sees the gold Solider 76 and can pick it up for me, let me know.

8. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Got my Bundeswehr Rein yesterday and he's absolutely perfect!! Gonna order Zarya, Junkrat, and McCree from Pulse today once my paycheck arrives. Seriously tempted to at some point pick up all the repaints just to support the line. I really want it to succeed.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I want it to succeed as well, but only as long as they don't just go into repaint-palooza.
    I like that the new wave is all new molds, so that helps.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Onslaught24

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I like that it seems like we're getting a balanced amount of new molds and repaints. Personally I hope we get a plethora of different skins for everyone, especially since most heroes will require significant remolds once they get into Legendary territory. So I'm not too worried about repaints. Hell, I kind of encourage it if it's handled in a smart way.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I gotta agree here. I actually like the repaints but the new molds are cool too (Zarya is freaking huge compared to Tracer). Only thing that worries me is that they seem to be mildly shelf-warming here. I mean, they do move, but it takes a while. I am told Overwatch's popularity is waning but I hope Blizzard can keep it alive with more game modes, a single player story that spans the whole timeline, and better writing/storytelling. There is a rumored sequel so we'll see if that's true or not. If so, I'd be excited to see more toys.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Onslaught24

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm honestly a little surprised the Overwatch League community isn't eating this stuff up. I know it's not massive, but still. Would be nice to see more and more people get into it, and I feel like part of it is because people who aren't typically collectors don't know how quality they are and/or don't think they're worth the money.

13. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    That may be part of it but it could be a bit of a larger unseen problem. I buy the toys because I like the character designs but I have no desire to play the game at all. And that creates a disconnect between the two mediums as the game is the main source of focus for the franchise. The players of the game may not necessarily be toy collectors or may not know the toys are even out (and many people who don't collect toys get shocked by the $20 price tag for a single figure). This means one avenue of revenue may not add to the other, causing split costs that never bleed into the other medium. Plus, a lot of people in the game may play a particular character but they play that character wearing a unique skin. That means that while the character may be released, it will be overlooked until the desired skin of that character is released. That may lead to more purchasing of other characters but some people are one and done; just getting their favorite. And if their favorite takes too long to release, they'll probably have moved on by then to another game.

Though I still think the major problem is that while people like particular character's playstyle, they may not know or care about the character themselves. I will say that in my opinion Overwatch struggles a bit in the character and story department. The characters seem a tad "Madlibs" at times and it feels like they want to sell people on the idea of the character and not the character themselves. For Tracer, I know she's gay and a good guy. That's it. Neither one of those things are a personality; more just fun facts about her. I can read more about her on the wiki but the ultimate sin of any story is telling the story outside of the main medium. Especially when the backstory is more interesting than the main story (is there even a main story???). I feel like a lot of thought was put into the design, origin, and representation of the characters, but little was done about their motivations or their opinions. Although, this is coming from someone who tried to learn about the story from the shorts they put out (and they aren't super helpful in that regard, though still entertaining). Just like modern Star Wars, Overwatch needs a loremaster who is a storyteller, not just a marketer or a writer. The story needs to feel stable even when the events the characters encounter aren't. Hell, I found out that Overwatch was a group that was disbanded before the story started! What?! Then why call the game Overwatch?! It's seems all pretty backwards but just so I can give the story a fair shake, I'm going to read up on everything to get a clearer picture. Maybe I got something wrong. I'll find out.

But just so it doesn't sound like I'm all doom and gloom, I love the toys. They're very posable, have fun accessories, and I was amazed at the QC. I did find some errors but not as many as I was expecting. The peach parts on my Posh Tracer's arms are a little fudgy but I can live with that when every other part is crisp. I love these toys and honestly was collecting the Figma and Nendoroid until the Ultimates came out. I did wish Pharah came with her unmasked head but I suspect that'll be included with a costume where she doesn't have a helmet. The designs are great but that doesn't always translate to sales. Some people care more about story, allowing them to act out the stories with the toys. Some people care about characters, allowing them to pick up their favorites in multiple costumes (plus a character can gain more popularity just by having a great interaction with another character). Improve both story and characters, and Overwatch will have a winning combination that sells more toys than they do now. And a TV show wouldn't go amiss.

Sorry, this was long. Apparently I had more to say than I thought. I still want this toyline to succeed and since that success predicates itself on the game's success, we'll see what Blizzard does next and hope for the best.

Also I'd like a witch Mercy please. Thank you. I'll sit down now.

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For those who got the SDCC Reinhardt on Hasbro pulse, what time did it go live last Tuesday? Please put your time zone since we might not be in the same one. 1pm for you might be 11am for someone else.

15. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Genji (Chrome) available on Amazon now. Apparently, I can expect mine to arrive on Tuesday.

Weird, because McCree (who I bought from GameStop on Friday) shows Sept. 5th, while Genji & the Tracer / McCree 2-pack are available now. Whatevs.

16. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Speaking of McCree... he has a lot of minute paint details missing, so I fixed mine (well, NOW I can see where I need to clean things up a little...)

McCree01.jpg McCree02.jpg McCree03.jpg McCree04.jpg

I've never played the game (though that may change this coming week,) so I'm sure I missed a detail or three on the metal arm, but I'm still surprised at how much Hasbro left off of this figure.

I added:
    - All electric blue spots on the flashbangs, Peacekeeper, torso armor, and metal arm
    - All silver accents on the torso armor (c'mon, really?) knee guard, and all leg buckles
    - Darker silver on Peacekeeper's bullet chamber, as well as the darker gunmetal/grey accents near the hammer, grip, sight, and underside.
    - Gold paint on the bullets on his hat (again, really?)
    - Used a brown RealTouch Gundam marker for wrinkles & belt / chaps / holster lines. Maybe went a bit too dark on the sleeves, lol.
    - Applied flat lacquer to the eyes & mouth. I can understand making those parts glossy, I just think it looks odd on figures this small.

This is probably good practice for the work I'm gonna need to do on Genji, haha.

• Like Like x 3
  17. SpartanDave

SpartanDave Member

Looks fantastic, what kind of paint did you use for the silver and blue? I'll be doing many of the same paint applications on my figure too

18. SpartanDave

SpartanDave Member

Ordered Bundeswehr a a few days ago and it already got here yesterday, he's awesome and I think I prefer this to the original Reinhardt I have! Also ordered Zarya on Amazon for MSRP, seems like she's rolling out in limited quantities now. Very excited for her, from what I've seen she'll be one of my favorites from the line

• Like Like x 1
  19. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Both are Mr. Color lacquers: #19 RX-78 Blue Anime Ver. from the Gundam Color line, and #8 Silver from the standard line. Both were purchased from USA Gundam this year.

PSX_20190825_224719.jpg

20. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Genji arrived today, and sure enough, Hasbro left off most of the minute paint details.

Genji-Chrome-00.jpg

Like McCree, he's impressively sculpted, and I do really like the figure overall. But really, would it have killed Hasbro to have put more than TWO energy effect paint app on this figure? Again, I'm new to the Overwatch world, but even I can see there's over a dozen spots in this picture alone that should be yellow-green.

On a related note, between this figure and McCree, I have concluded that Hasbro cannot afford real silver paint anymore.

• Like Like x 2