Hasbro MP-03 Grimlock.

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starfire22, May 22, 2014.

1. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

To the left! To the left!

2. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knee joints are an easy fix if you own wire snips.

3. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First time I've ever had experience with the MP Grimlock mold but I love it besides the few flaws. Loose joints, and while neat the tail/head swishing gimmick is lost on me. I'd have rather him be more solid that having that in his spine.

Just hope he doesn't seem too small when I get back to my apartment and put him with his brother Masterpieces.

4. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

He's a good size...
    [​IMG]

:rock 

:bowdown: 

:D 

5. treatment

me Grimlock has Optimus riding me Grimlock has Optimus riding me Grimlock...
    [​IMG]

6. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The arm on mine fell off out of the box :redface2: 
    Having the original release of this "somewhere" In storage makes returning it after actually finding one a little easier to take.

Defiantly not a fan of the green tinting on the clear, I can live with everything else cosmetically TBH. The translucent plastic used on the sword and gun are foggy just like soundwaves cheat door was on the hasbro release...something I never picked up on in pictures online.

I also had some minor issues with seam lines on the Dino legs. They are ruff on the one I have here, not sure how widespread an issue that may or may not be. I haven't heard or seen anyone mention it so I will assume it's pretty isolated

It's odd that the knees are SO tight on this release. They where alway that one spot that made you feel uncomfortable with this toy, but for whatever reason it's even TIGHTER on this one.

Great pick up for those who missed out, just showing it's age a little now.

7. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    So, I tried tightening the screws to get rid of the loose hips, but he's still pretty loosey goosey. The whole thing just seems to not hold together well in dino mode. His chest doesn't clink in anywhere!

Also, is the neck-turning gimmick supposed to not work that well?

8. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    This is my first experience with the mold, and I love him. He's super easy to transform, but he just looks so good in both modes. I like the flamethrower in his mouth, and the eye-color gimmick, too.

Mine had loose hips as well, but nothing a good amount of floor polish couldn't fix. Now I just need to get one of those flame sword effect parts that came with that rerelease from Japan.

9. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All this talk of loose joints, am I the only one whose's Grimlock's joints are too tight? The knee ratchets feel as if they're going to wear down or break if I attempt to bend his leg. The shoulders are really stiff as well.

10. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    The knee ratchets are scary at first, like MP Soundwave's hips.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So, I just got my Grimlock in this week from Toys 'R' Us, as I ordered it from their site. My collecting mo for Hasbro Masterpieces with this new style of packaging is to collect them "mint in box". That basically translates into me breaking the seal to inspect contents to ensure there are no major defects. I typically keep Hasbro Masterpieces sealed, but these boxes do not allow for any sort of display of the figure. I'm a big fan of the new style of boxes, except that I dislike not having some sort of flap like some of the other "collector" style boxes from other releases. The only other thing I have to say about the packaging is that absolutely HATE the generic logo treatment, especially since it's a carry-over from the new movie line that should have no baring on these figures:

[​IMG]

(Me Grimlock going into storage box!)

I figured I'd have a little fun, and do a quick comparison/contrast with my TakaraTomy version. I don't have the 2010 Hasbro release, or any other variation of MP Grimmy, so this is it:

[​IMG]

(HEY! ME GRIMLOCK, king!)

[​IMG]

(But you more handsome like me than me first thought, so me say you can stay!)​

Quite honestly, there is virtually no differences with these except the translucent color of clear parts being a bit more greenish. I'm rather ambivalent towards either release's parts; it's just not that big of a deal for me.

The joints on the new version are fine on mine. They're tight where they should be. Also, the chest assembly isn't excessively loose on mine either. I've transformed my TakaraTomy version quite a few times, so it being just a little looser makes sense. The gold is virtually the same shade, as well as the vac metal reds. They grays show a little difference in hue, sure, but I didn't really spot any "mold degradation." Admittedly, I didn't put it under the microscope either, as I just wanted to some quick fun here.

I'd say that if you can find this figure for a decent price, it's well worth the money and then some. At $80, it's a STEAL. I paid $130 for my TakaraTomy version, and I'm the second owner of it.

Attached Files:

12. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Finally, some comparison pics with the original MP Takara release. Thanks for the pics. I am not partial to the lighter shade of grey they chose for this new Hasbro release. It makes the details seem "fuzzy", and I can see why people would say this looks like mold degradation.

13. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Does the Hasbro Grimlock have red chrome on his sword? Can't tell from these pics.

14. Paik4Life

Paik4Life Reviews

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I did a review review and comparison of three different versions the other week. You can check it out here on TFW:

Includes 2014 Hasbro, 2010 Hasbro, and the 30th anniversary Takara reissue.

Yes. All the accessories are the same as the original Hasbro release. ONE minor difference, which I note in my video above is that the clear parts of the barrel have air bubbles which are not present on either of the other two molds I own. This was shown to be the case with other reviews of the 2014 version, so it's definitely not a one-off. Appears to be a QC issue.

~Paik

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  15. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes he does..

Anyone know why or what the square thing in the mouth is for?

16. treatment

me Grimlock says do epic kneeldown pose...
    [​IMG]

17. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    got one today, legs were loose, chest assembly is loose, his tail pieces that fold into his feet are loose and fall backwards and out, hard time just sitting there.

ugh.

18. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's his flamethrower.

19. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Thanks. The Green plastic looks fine in Bot mode, but very out of place in T-rex mode, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Flame thrower? Was there some flame that came with him, that mine is missing? Can you get the flame from somewhere? or is there a hidden button that actually shoots flame from him? Can you refill his "gas" if he runs out?

(I'm actually being serious about finding a flame for him)