Hasbro MP-03 Grimlock.

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starfire22, May 22, 2014.

1. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So im not sure how common this might be but I just realized that my MP-03 Grimlock had a broken arm. The screw that screws the chrome shoulder to the torso was not screwing into anything. The hole looked like it had no threads for the screw. Just something to watch out for. Oddly, it only fell off when transforming to dino. It was secure in bot mode. Needless to say, hes getting returned.

2. Mattress T

Mattress T Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I truly cannot decide if I like the green tinted plastic, or loathe it. I guess I "loake" it?

3. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

the green tinted plastic is fine. people have tight asses.

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If mine are floppy, and I assume they will be, this'll be the first thing I do to him. Ok, second after doing a couple transforms.

5. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Awesome thanks for the reply, please keep us posted on the results!

6. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Liquid Phoenix

Mine has a white line on each black part of the leg where they meet the red hip joint. Its not on my original wanted to know if that's on anyone else's?

7. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    This is my first experience with the mold, and I'm glad I waited to get him for less than $100. He's just OK to me. Back in 2009/2010 I would have loved him, but the MP world has moved on since then.

I like all of the articulation points, especially in dino mode. I love the fact that they gave him a neck post so his head has way more articulation than most figures.
    I'm fine with the green tinted plastic. I've now seen both versions in person and I might like the green better.

I agree with the common complaint that the tail wagging gimmick and the light-up fist don't seem to be worth the sacrifices that had to be made to make them happen. My main gripe would be the bot mode arms, the shoulders joints have been done better in the 5 years since this mold was done. The claws can't fold back against the forearm, so they're always in the way. The tail sections that fold into the legs feel like they'll come loose over time. The hips on mine aren't seriously loose, but the knee joints are insanely tight. Both are easy fixes and don't bother me.

Overall, I'm glad I got one for the sake of completion, I'm in no way sorry that I got it, he's just not the best MP I've ever seen. I'll be looking forward to seeing what FT and Gigapower do, and I'm really hoping that at least one of them make their own Grimlock. Based on what we've seen of 3rd party Dinobots so far, there's a lot of room for improvement.

8. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

why do they put dumb gimmicks on a masterpiece anyway?

9. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    This isn't ur review...

10. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    What wron with that??why do u complain about everything??

11. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    uh, what?

12. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Indeed - this is a review thread, anyone can post their thoughts/comments on the toy if they want, not just the OP.

EDIT: I found this posted in the TRU Grimlock news thread and figured I'd quote it here for anyone who wants to try the Future trick to fix loose joints:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  13. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, I figure I'd give me thoughts on this...

I got back into collecting in Dec 2010, so I missed the original release. I've always wanted it but, wasn't going to pay the after market prices. So, this release, I wasn't going to pass up. Yeah, it was $80 and not $60 but, so was TC and AS. So, I'm good with the price.

I managed to pick mine up from the first shipment into my area. We have 2 TRU's and they got them on different days. I got mine from the store that got theirs first.. Yeah me.. (5th out of 6 to official hit my area). I woke up at 10am sharp and called the store and had them hold one for me.

Now, onto the figure.

Bot mode..

I'll start with the elephant in the room, his green tinted clear plastic. I'm not a fan of it over the Smokey plastic from previous releases. However, it doesn't bother me at all.

The legs are floppy but hopefully future will fix this. Other places that are floppy, the chest. Not sure if this was like this, on other releases but, it's really floppy. Not sure if future can cure this but, it's only floppy during transformation so, it's not really that big of a deal.

The knees are super tight. Almost so tight that I fear of breaking them. Just have to be careful. Other than that, the bot mode is awesome.

I love the transformation of his legs. It's just genius and I can't get over it.

The Dino mode head doesn't stay tabbed like it should. The hands could have been done better too..

Only other kinda issue I have, is that he always seems to be leaning forward. Not sure if I just have him standing properly or it was designed like that.

Dino mode:

Only 2 issues I have are, the arms are floppy, once again.. floppy shows it head. However, I do know future will fix this, so it's not a big deal. The second issue, the tail is not chromed but painted silver.. I'd rather it be chromed.

I love that his head can look up and that he can wag his tail and his jaw chomp. My son loves the wagging and the jaw and insists that he eat starscream whenever possible.

Chrome

The chrome on the figure is awesome. There was no issues at all, when I opened him. However, since then, the back of the front of the crown has had the chrome chip off already from use. It would be where the forehead of Grimlock touches the crown. The tail is slowly showing signs that it might be flaking also. So, I'll be hitting all chrome with future to protect it.

Weapons:

No issues with the weapons even though the gun has bubbles in it. Still not sure how it's supposed to light up since it's made to go in the non lighting hand. The batteries in mine were dead when I got it so I can't even check the light up feature, not like I'd use it anyways.

Diecast:

Seeing how I didn't even know this guy has diecast, this was a surprise and a happy one at that. I figured someone would have mentioned it having it but, I haven't seen anyone mention it. If you didn't know, like I didn't, the claws, the crotch, and part where the shoulders attach to the chest are all diecast and it gives just enough weight to the figure to make it nice and hefty. I was so happy to find that this had diecast.

In conclusion there are a few minor things here or there but, in the long run, it's a great figure and i'm glad I have picked it up. If other people don't like it, fuck'em..

Erland

14. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

good point. noone really talks about the diecast. it gives him good weight. he feels right.

15. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    see above for floppy hip fix....

You can also remove the legs to apply Future ...or use clear nail polish. Just make sure you use only a tiny tiny bit...you don't want to make it too tight.

Pic showing what it looks like with leg removed

[​IMG]

He is an awesome figure....hope everyone that wants is able to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  16. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    First time owning this guy.

I just barely got him today. got him out of the box.

Is he supposed to be such a loose floppy mess? :( 

17. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    he is real floppy..the plastic on this is also so cheap..most of the details on this guy have been washed out its like a knock off gray cheezy as compared to with before.. I did a side by side with my takara mp-08 and its truly night and day..im glad they re-released this guy for so many who missed him and he is an awesome must have..but no where near the cripsness,quality and color of the first release

18. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Obligatory

[​IMG]

19. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

to the people who picked up mp grimlock for $80 but don't really want him. please sell him to someone who really needs him at cost.

20. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Not $80.

It was $85

and, I like my Grimlock. lots of personality. :D