Hasbro might be investigating the lack of product on shelves.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MonaLazaBeak, Feb 10, 2018.

1. MonaLazaBeak

MonaLazaBeak <Witty saying goes here>

Hi all!

I didn’t think this warranted a thread, but there’s no real good place to put it.

I was in my local Rhode Island Walmart yesterday and on the outskirts of the toy aisle was a nice lady with some papers, a scanner...and a Hasbro bag. I did what any collector would do and politely asked her if she indeed did work for Hasbro and replied she did.

Here’s the interesting part. I asked her if she knew or could give me a bit of info as to Transformers stock. My store had their reset and was fully restocked weeks ago, but I dug in and asked if she knew why it was so hard to get newer waves placed on shelves and she told me that’s actually something they’re trying to figure out themselves. She said she didn’t have specifics or that she truly would give them to me, but it’s definitely something they are looking into.

It would seem the issue of us not finding our wave wants are reaching the right ears or it might be that distribution management is wondering the same thing.

Just wanted to pass off that semi-positive note.

• Like Like x 30
  2. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    They do read these very forums for ideas and the issues in the USA with the toys has been rather loud compared to the past.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I’ll tell you exactly why it’s an issue.

Product is bought and ordered by the retailer. When a Walmart needs a new of deluxes to put on shelves, they request an order in and it gets shipped to the store. Which wave that is is dependant. To the individual store, it’s all the same thing(mostly.) There isn’t a “buy this new assortment or this one(usually.)” They just order an assortment because they need more and they get whatever is shipped.

The next thing is that each case, from my understanding, isn’t indivially bought either. Walmart(or whoever) as a company buys them en masse(usually for cheaper prices so they can sell them for cheaper prices). So essentially you have all that product sitting in a company warehouse somewhere until a store orders a new assortment and then it’s shipped out. If your store gets an assortment of an older wave, well theres not really much you can do about it. Once Hasbro sells the product they are done with it. They already have their money before you even walk into the store. They do still obviously care that their product sells and that the new assortments get out otherwise retailers wouldn’t buy more of them to sell.

So the issue is somewhere in divide between what Hasbro sells them and what a company buys on a company level, not your local store. If your store isn’t getting new waves it’s because the companies distribution isn’t sending them out.

You were also at a Rhode Island store too. Thats somewhat Hasbro’s home turf and they’ve been known pay more attention to the market there.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

There's a Hasbro dude sometimes at my local Walmart store too. He has a shirt that says Hasbro and sometimes over the store PA he gets called, specifically referred to as the "Hasbro agent" or something along those lines. Never have talked to him though.

• Like Like x 4
  5. fanbase0000

fanbase0000 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I went to the Walmart near my father in law's house and they had no POTP. They had dozens of TLK toys but all from waves 1 and 2 only - about 7 Sqweeks, 7 Slugs, 7 Berserkeers, 2 Slash, 2 Steelbanes, and 1 Drift. They also had 5 RID Windblades. It is my first time checking out that Walmart and the distribution is crazy. The choices were slim and they didn't carry any of the new toys. But this was my first time see Sqweek or Steelbane out in the wild - the TRU and Walmarts near my hosue never carried them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

They had all of PotP wave 1 a few weeks back, grabbed leader Optimus but left Rodimus. Now all they have are the PotP legends figures with some of the Bludgeon RID wave.

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone you see in the store doing anything has no clue about any logistics just letting you know.

They can't control what warehouse sends to the store, where the workers shove it, or if it gets stocked at all.

• Like Like x 5
  8. bman

bman Well-Known Member

News Credits:

There're some corruption involved with the distribution. Good moving stocks are prioritized to certain shops. This is how it's happening here. Dishonest employees are hoarding fast moving stocks to collectors willing to pay higher price. Stores also hiding stocks for customers who reserved them privately.

For my area, POTP there's ONLY deluxe and voyager. NO LEADER class Prime or Hot Rodimus ever found.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's a highly inflammatory statement. What proof do you have?

As far as logistics, for Walmart DC's they should still have a FIFO (first in first out) system. If this isn't being followed, or they are getting stock out of rotation themselves, it's a Hasbro warehouse issue.

• Like Like x 6
  10. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Thanks for sharing this info. Its very interesting indeed.

I really do hope its true. Because they have paying customers who would buy the shit out of their products if they were able to get their hands on them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  11. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I agree w/ @Yaujta this is highly inflammatory.

I'll also add that its highly irresponsible to make statements like this without actual proof.

Your opinion is not fact.

• Like Like x 5
  12. MelodiousGiant04

MelodiousGiant04 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wal-mart in the US uses LIFO for the tax advantage since it increases their cost of goods sold substantially.

13. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    You should always talk to the toy reps when you get a chance.

Nintendo had one at my local Walmart for the launch of the Super Nintendo Classic Edition.

Talked to her about distribution etc.

• Like Like x 3
  14. MelodiousGiant04

News Credits:
    Also the inventory method being used (LIFO or FIFO) wouldn’t necessarily have anything to do with what specific inventory they have, it’s an accounting practice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Walmart stores don't manually order anything unless its something specifically requested by the customer but that is only on the grocery end of the store.

Its all automated. The distribution is tied to their cash registers which track whether all of an item has been sold and sends the information to the local distribution center.

16. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I tend to believe this. If anything, the design team reads Transformers message boards.

CW, TR (especially TR), and PotP are prime examples that the design team has been reading what fans have been talking about on these boards for years and made alot of it a reality.

• Like Like x 4
  17. TyrantGalvatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Please elaborate on how this works. I need more specifics. Explain the "For Dummies" version to me.

18. MelodiousGiant04

News Credits:
    For accounting purposes, they record their sale of inventory as last in, first out. Meaning say they order a case of toys at $10 per toy, then later order a second case at $12 dollars per toy (the price went up from manufacturer). When they make their first sale, they will record it as the latest items in stock sold first, regardless of what was actually sold. So for accounting purposes their cost of gold sold would be the higher amount of $12 no matter what was sold. This lowers their tax burden. It’s actually illegal to use this method anywhere else in the world.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Could it be that people are just buying the stock off the shelves, and that is why you aren't seeing anything?

IMHO if you don't buy the brand new Hasbro toy when the first shipment comes in it will take a week or two before it hits shelves again.

Target seems to restock shelves once a week with what they have, but after the newer toys are bought it is just older stuff that gets restocked. The bigger Walmart near me is good at restocking shelves, but the smaller Walmart near me won't do it for a month or two at a time.

20. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not "corruption" bigger busier stores usually get more product.

We used fifo in the fresh department but toy stockers stock whatever they get or bin it at their whim.

They put the least amount of effort into toys as they can.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018