Hasbro masterpieces

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus12, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think guard convoy was trying to argue that the figure is worth $250 because of the production costs + small profit margin = retail price.

While he's probably correct, whether those extra production costs/effort make the price tag "worth it" to you personally is the subjective part. You get to decide where and what you're money gets spent on, regardless of what the manufacturers costs may be.

2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Nail and head. It's alot of money for one figure. Problem is I can only seeing it going higher for Ultra Magnus and that is insane. Will stop alot of ppl owning what should be an awesome and the definitive version of him.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'm certain that Thundercracker will get a domestic release via Walmart, if Starscream and Skywarp are any indication. MP-10 will most likely get the TRU exclusive treatment. Judging by how soon MP-09 arrived in the states after its initial Japanese release, it may not be long before we see MP-10.

4. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I hope your right, I really want TC but they've had ages to get it out and with the rumoured re-tooling of the seekers I think it's wishful thinking to get the current one out.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Well, Takara did release MP-01 "Last Shot" Convoy as the mold's coup de grace prior to MP-10's eventual drop on the market. I wouldn't exactly rule out Hasbro doing the same with Thundercracker before this rumored seeker retool/overhaul.

There are still tons of MP collectors out there that are sans Thundercracker, despite the Takara release. They'd be getting a potentially successful final use out of the mold.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The one truism is marketing: Cost is independent of value. ;) 

Anyway I agree, if the next Hasbro MP isn't MP-10 I'll be very suprised. I'd even put money on it being MP-10 (prolly without trailer) and I hate gambling.

Also, doesn't this entire discussion belong in the MP Speculation thread?

7. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    The bolded part is key.

The market sets price not the manufacturer. This is misunderstood by a lot of people. People say, well manufacturers set what they charge us.

The answer to that is "they try". It means they set the price they think we'll pay. They then put it out on market, depending on demand they adjust. Sell a lot and price will go up, too few and price will go down until it isn't worth it to them to keep selling at that price. Ergo, the market is the ultimate price setter.

Again, costs are irrelevant to price as price is the value to a product the aggregate market sets.

On topic: I want a cheaper Hasbrodized version of MP-10 very badly and would pay close to, if not a touch more than, $100 for one with a trailer. A perfect Optimus Prime is probably my highest want at this point - just not a $250 want, lol.

8. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

What ever it is, do you guys think it will release next year, or the year after?

9. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    Im in need of a G1 Optimus Prime...And would really love Mp-10 to hit stateside...cuz $250 is way too much for me....but I would pick this one up immediately...hopefully its gets here with the trailer....

10. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Hasbro Roddy dropped less than 6 months after TT Roddy dropped if that is the new precedent. I'm hopeful for a similar quick turnaround though that will mean Hasbro Prime could drop in the typically slow post holiday period. I personally don't see that happening either.

So either we get Hasbro Prime in November or we don't see him until Spring '12. Right around "Dads and Grads" season.

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure I follow your train of thought.

1) Walmart got the MP Prime but they only sold so-so.
    2) Walmart got the MP Starscream and they sold like gangbuster due to underproduction and demand.
    3) Walmart got the MP Skywarp and sat around and got clearanced for various reasons.
    4) TRU got MP Grimlock and they sold at a good, fair pace.
    5) BBTS got the Seacons and they are still sitting on a ton (+3,000).
    6) TRU got MP Hot Rod which was in high demand at first but now easily available.
    7) Amazon got Unicron which was in high demand af first. Unsure how many they will finally have.

Why would you think Walmart would get Thundercracker?

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I wasn't really prepared to have someone actually question me on why I felt TC would get the Walmart exclusive treatment. I'm basing it on the fact that they also had Starscream and Skywarp in 2007 and 2009, respectively. MP-10 just seems like it'll be a TRU exclusive since they've stocked the newer MP molds (Grimlock and Rodimus), whereas Walmart's been getting redecos of an older (seeker) mold. It's more of a gut feeling coupled with the trends I've noticed in recent years associated with domestic MP releases. I don't like ruling things out. But who really knows?

I wouldn't say that I'm right as I don't claim myself an expert, but I wouldn't say that I'm wrong or totally off-base, either. However, seeing as how things can only be black or white in this fandom, I suppose I'll wave my digital white flag and side with the latter.

13. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

My money is MP-10. I want him but would prefer an american release after MP 09.

14. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    After the shockingly poor result skywarp provided, I can't see Wal-Mart stocking Masterpiece transformers again. They got massively burned on that one. The same situation over here in the UK with Argos stocking it.

I blame the fandom in addition to the other factors mentioned. There's too much of a 'wait for clearance' mentality going around for high end collector items getting many releases in the west.

TRU have had the most success, but after the shitcack that is US Rodimus (the problems seem far worse than on the JP release) I'm not sure they'll be so confident stocking anything outside MP-10 (cos it's Prime).

15. Magnus12

ya, i know skywarp did pretty bad.
    This may sound stupid, but it could have been the time he was released because it was in 09 when there was the whole economy thing when people didnt have money to spend on tf toys.
    Still I would really like a thundercracker, and at one point i wanted him so bad, i was going to write a letter to walmart to make one lol

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry. Wasn't trying to put the spotlight on you or anything but I was wondering if you saw something I didn't. If Hasbro packaged MP Thundercracker in a DOTM box I'm sure they would snap him up but otherwise I don't see if happening at Walmart just based on the fact that they got Scream and Warp.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'd pay for an MP Thundercracker in DOTM packaging.

18. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I need Thundercracker. :( 

19. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

Totally agree with scubaboy. I hear too many ppl on this forum posting "when is x going to be clearanced?" or "I'll wait till it's clearanced like Skywarp".

I'm hoping MP-10 gets the TRU treatment but.... I'm thinking he'll be missing the trailer.

20. Magnus12

are they planning to re-release anything, maybe mp starscream?