Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime will not be Wide Release! - TRU Exclusive

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Movie PRIME, Jul 23, 2012.

1. InfernoX

InfernoX Decepticon

News Credits:
    Maybe you enjoy calling multiple stores, driving around town, waiting for stores to open for the chance of maybe getting one, but I sure don't. I don't care how "evil" Walmart may or may not be, but it being available on a wider release or at least at some store not as notoriously bad about stocking things would be preferable.

2. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

:lolol  My thoughts exactly. It doesn't help that my TRU employees always give me the wrong date for when it's released.

3. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

Poo

4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

If anyone in the Columbus area wishes to do a meet up, I would be interested in paying Price+Gas Money for this figure (since there really aren't any Toys R Us Stores within my range)

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    these whiners have been around since hasbro's mp-10 announcement. they aren't in this thread per say but i've read my fair share of complainers when folks even suggested a $100 price tag

6. Burnout

Burnout Rogue Mercenary

yay another gotdamn instasellout exclusive that all the douchey reseller/scalpers/whatevers with their inside connections will make sure dont hit store shelves. Exclusives need to END!!!! (for stores)

7. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    [​IMG]

8. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

Hasbro does not make toys to bring joy to the world. They do it to make money. It is the only purpose. That does not make Hasbro evil. They are in the business of selling toys and businesses succeed by maximizing profits. It only makes sense for them to sell the toy for the maximum price that people are willing to pay, otherwise they are leaving money on the table.

9. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

no...no...NO!

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Awesome, that SKN worked!

Sad thing is, we are not seeing him anytime soon. None on order for the TRU and none at the factory. Usually the TRU I call knows at least 3 weeks in advanced if they are getting it, and this time, no luck.

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Hasn't there been rumbling this would be for sale around November and the X-mas season?

12. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TRU.com isn't something I'd like to rely on, considering how the handled Rodimus (I still don't have one thanks to that). Plus it's a 4-hour round trip, which I'm willing to do, but I would need to take time off of work or class and have to be absolutely certain that Optimus would actually be there. If this ends up being scalper bait and goes for $200+ on eBay then I'm not even going to bother.

13. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, it's a tru exclusive...and this figure will be $100...A WHOLE 100 FREAKING DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty damn good deal considering we get everything that the Takara version has.

14. caesar117

caesar117 likes Gunpla as of 2013

I'm not saying that it makes them evil, I'm just saying that in my opinion toys are now for the collectors, and Hasbro is not making enough money. Wherever I go, there is always some kid who's holding a tablet. Nobody wants this stuff anymore but us.

And for the people who think that I'm a big cheap-ass dick now. You have some issues in respecting other people's opinion, and what they want to do in their life. I do collecting as a hobby, but somehow just voicing my opinion on this one thing causes a rupture of disapproval and insults. Is there an issue with a friendly debate in the forums? IF I say something will it mean the end of the world? Of course it won't. I respect your opinion as a fellow human being, and that you should do the same thing with me. I may be a casual collector, but I don't think that this should cause people to say that my post is hopefully not serious. In a way they are right, but I don't believe that it is necessary for people to complain that I don't know math or whatever. I'm a perfectly sane person, and whatever I believe should be respected, as I respect yours.

15. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Pretty much this. You'd be surprised how far a good attitude gets you.

16. softserve

softserve Member

Well I have been reading these boards for quite a while and figured I would pipe in with a few of my own feelings on this.

First we need to look at this from the perspective of Hasbro. They are making this to generate profit. Thus they will price it where they can cover all costs and make a profit. Scales of production, the more that they produce the less each unit costs overall.

Example (and no these are not real numbers, just for comprehension sake):

Research and development, engineering, molds, assembly, packaging, shipping, etc on 100,000 pieces. Lets say this runs Hasbro $7,500,000. That gives each unit a total cost of $75. From there they sell each figure for $85 to a store, and each store sells that figure for $100 to a consumer. Hasbro makes $1,000,000 in profit, the stores make $1,500,000. Again, these numbers are all made up, nothing real about them.

Now after the initial success stores sell out, more are needed they run the holds again. No research and development, engineering, mold making needed. All ready to go. This run only costs the company $3,500,000 to make 100,000 pieces. As you can see this allows more profit for Hasbro, and if they lower the cost to stores, more profit for them as well.

Of course, the same holds true on a larger initial run. One of lets say 200,000 units, with a combined production cost of $11,000,000.

So, the more they make the more profit there will be, as long as they sell :p 

---

Now let's take a little look at the figure itself.

In reality there is no difference between Bumblebee and Optimus Prime! Heck, there is no difference between Optimus Prime and plastic lawn chair. They are all just objects, made from materials.

Looking back at the Rodimus Prime Masterpiece TRU had, maybe not the best seller. Not that well known of a figure to the younger generations, and not one the 'average' non-fan might pick up. Optimus Prime on the other hand, is a staple figure. I would venture to say anyone who has been anywhere but under a rock knows who Optimus Prime is. My Grandma knows who he is, and she views the DVD player as alien technology.

I believe this figure will reach out to more than just Transformers collectors, but also the bulk of the mainstream shopper. The $100 price point may be a little high, but not unobtainable for the average Joe.

For anyone that was not able to obtain or afford a previous MP Optimus Prime release, this gives a large opportunity to get a figure for a very reasonable price!

---

There is also a lot of talk about scalpers here. And like it or not, there is no way to control them. But, scalpers require an item to be scarce in order to make it worth their time. A larger release make it less desirable to scalpers as they have a harder time controlling the supply and finding buyers for their stock. There becomes a point where scalping is simply not worth it. You don't see scalpers selling Transformers Prime First Edition Bumblebees for $20 a piece. But you do see them selling Transformers Prime First Edition Cliffjumpers. Simple supply and demand.

---

I think, in the end, this is bound to be a larger release than people think. Optimus Prime is such a staple character in the Transformers universe that it will reach out to a larger audience.

Initially, as with everything, shelves will be dry, and prices will be high. But as regular stock comes in I see no reason this will be a hard one to get.

17. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Well, If I can score an extra one or two, I'll have them available here, first, for $110 + shipping (which based on info I can find, would probably run between 13 and 15 dollars for priority). That will cover sales tax and packing material. Unlike others here, I won't charge you for gas, since I will be walking.

18. Apoclatron5675

Apoclatron5675 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Shit, I was planning on getting this one but now that it's confimed to be exclusive my TRU will never see it, I never saw Grimlock or Rodimus, so I doubt I'll see this one, WHy not make it a wide release, it'd be easier for everyone to get. and if Hasbro wanted more money ( which going by the Report they released the other day they do) they'd release this everywhere and stop redecoing and assigning horrible case assortments, and get their act together

19. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

There are so many people here who know how to run a toy company, you should all put your heads together and give Hasbro a run for their money.

20. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Good news is my birthday is in December, around the time it comes out, so there's that possibility.