Hasbro Haslab for 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NemesisJazz, Nov 29, 2022.

1. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t see a non-Transforming Transformer as a HasLab, or at retail in general tbh (they’d license that out like they have done in the past)

A HasLab, whilst it’s for toys that can’t be made at regular retail for whatever reason, are meant to be a celebration of the brand, to pull in even casual fans where possible.

To me the most realistic options are (in no particular order)

• G1 Metroplex - A proper version of him is still missing from Generations, the last one was based on the video game and with all the cuts / inflation we’ve seen this last few years I don’t see how a new one could be made at regular retail Titan point now.

• G1 Fort Max - The original giant city former, again the Generations version of him suffered by being a Metroplex retool & is nowhere near as ‘accurate’ as a new one would be. Again like above I can’t see a new version of him being made at retail now.

• G1 Devastator - The Constructicons are conspicuously absent from the new WfC onwards style figures, sure there was a CW reissue the other year but they’re the only G1 Cons not remade yet (and along with a few other combiners / Octane one of the few Decepticons from the first 3 seasons of the cartoon not remade yet, however Devy is the most famous of them all)

Rumours he was to come in Studio Series ‘86 after the Dinobots (and he still could in his individual forms) but like Deathsaurus could have been moved from the main line to a HasLab for extra budget / done at once. Still think he’s more likely for Studio Series ‘86 though so more people can get him.

• Cybertron / Primus - Cybertron is a constant in every different series of the Transformers, and like Unicron is one of the few things that looks almost the same in every iteration, would be a good thing for the 40th anniversary of the whole series - However Primus isn’t as well known as Unicron, and I feel this would be a difficult ask if it’s a similar price to the chaos bringer.

Sure this means we likely wouldn’t get a Metrotitan / Grand or Brave Max / G2 Devastator etc, but considering we still haven’t got the majority of those from the previous molds I don’t know if we’d get those anyway.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also, you don't need huge robots to make combiners when you can just partsform the hell out of it like NewAge Devastator.

3. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but you could have huge robots instead!! Its like a standard sized robot, but there is more room for cool engineering and also it is bigger and that makes happy chemicals in my brain in itself

And frankly just giving me a large nontransformable Devastator makes more sense than NewAge's approach of basically using them as gapfillers. But to each their own, and Hasbro will make things that are not for me and I will not be hugely impacted by that. I will laugh at NewAge Devy though, soz.

4. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, the individual Constructions have to take priority at some point just to have a G1 shelf with a sense of faction balance, particularly as the minibots (which are mostly Autobots aside from maybe the Insecticons and cassettes) are oversized in the new Hasbro scale. (Aside from Warpath and Powerglide, who I think are legitimately Deluxes in animation scale.)

5. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a simple explanation - just basically being an arsehole, and thinking that the world should conform to your expectations no matter what. There's a lot of them out there, and they've all got a loudspeaker these days. I'm sure a couple of repeat offenders have already popped into your head...

• Like Like x 3
  6. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

This might be totally impractical; I know a little about tooling and a little about mass production but I’m willing to admit I could be suggesting something utterly impractical.

Haslab Fortress Maximus, I know Metroplex is the better known of the two, but I think you can do a good Metroplex at titan price point, I don’t think you can a good fort max, too many flip out guns, moving parts and the like, you end up losing something fun the original had. Now I do agree Max has 2 additional repaints built in, so you wouldn’t want to lose out on them by making it a haslab, so my idea is, you don’t, when you buy your haslab “Fortress Maximus” you pick from Fortress, Grand or Brave versions. Also, up the limit one person can order to 15 or 5 of each more likely.

Then your tiers

1: The master Sword

2: Pretender Shell (Probably just something like the prime master ones, these tiers are never that impressive but maybe the haslab team could do something better)

3: Cog (I know it’s a figure most of us have but it does “complete” Max and maybe someone backing this skipped him because they didn’t have max and what is someone going to complain about it getting essentially put in for free... oh wait yes of course they will but whatever. Also, might make a few people order that Brave deco for a Cog deco they don’t own)

4: I got nothing

Now maybe this is impossible, maybe changing the plastics and doing a run on the same toolings isn’t going to work out or its massively more expensive so wouldn’t work but I do think it’s a haslab that hits 3 eras of TFs, G1, JG1 and Car Robots/RiD2001 which for the 40th anniversary is pretty good, I can’t think of anything else that could do that and be worthy of a haslab (okay maybe the combaticons but they do lend themselves to retail a little better).

• Like Like x 4
  7. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sharing this here. If Hasbro does a liokaiser. It being a Haslab is the more likely option compared to mainline according to Evan 28832658-FA84-4803-9B0A-2CC2143BD111.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  8. bss83

bss83 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the recent Titan show that the $200 price point gives them more room to play with to do a Fort Max?

I don't know why people on here seem so stuck on the titan idea. It will have less mass appeal due to size and price, and they can probably do 90% of what they want to do at the current retail titan price point. Unicron was the exception. This is massively different than a Deathsaurus that would have been severely undersized, had his breastmasters as a separate package, and be missing a bunch of accessories... and worst of all, not even come close to being in scale with Victory Saber. So Deathsaurus would've been way less than 90% of what they wanted to do, since he would have been a leader (due to wanting to maximize the Commander slot for something with bigger appeal and recognition).

9. bss83

bss83 Well-Known Member

HASLAB LIOKAISER CONFIRMED.

Kidding. Kind of. But given that the two Victory characters have done so well as Haslabs and every thread was filled with "Liokaiser next!", it shouldn't be surprising that a Liokaiser is at least on the table as a Haslab and probably partially designed.

• Like Like x 4
  10. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had CW Devy boxed in my basement for over 2 years before I finally opened him. I’m glad I did, because I really do like the combined mode. And, he’s surprisingly sturdy in that configuration as well. I was also pleasantly surprised at how good (generally) the individual bots LOOK just standing on the shelf. It’s the function…or lack thereof…of some of the individual bots and the way they feel in-hand that probably bug me the most. He’s also huge. I like that he’s huge and fun…but I would like to see them redone as deluxes for the space-saving aspect as well as the opportunity to enhance their functionality. If space were no object, then give me solid voyagers with all the bells and whistles.

• Like Like x 3
  11. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    based on how small and hollow the Ark was (relative to other titans), I really don't think they can do him justice at the $200 price point. $200 Titans are now "less" than what $100 Titans were when Metro and FM1.0 came out. Cyb Metroplex is a really simple design with reedy limbs.

If anything, he should have more mass than those OG titans, or at least be bulkier. and 24-26" tall.
    and you'd never get the extras like the Master Sword at retail unless he was severally downsized/compromised.

• Like Like x 3
  12. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they should do Cybertron.

• Like Like x 1
  13. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

Really the $200 titans aren't all that, if anything they are less complex than the original titans, I only think Metroplex would work because they'll leave out all the parts covered by weaponizers and a new weaponizer Scamper.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChrizGman

ChrizGman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's cool that Liokaiser is being considered a Haslab. I could see it being announced for 2024 Haslab or 2025, etc.

• Like Like x 5
  15. DubV

DubV Lighten up, Francis.

News Credits:
    We’ve seen this before, ain’t pretty.

upload_2022-12-26_9-30-36.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

No… making them deluxe would kill the budget… it would however make them scale with G1 on screen size charts. Someone has to be voyager to eat the combination bits… I would pay voyager price point for deluxe sizes in scale IF Hasbro incorporated the Devy hands and feet into the robot to eliminate parts forming.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    I wonder if the 40th could be an Orion Pax to Optimus prime evolution set. Like an Orion pax that transforms into Optimus Prime, or may Rodimus, but all self contained. Hem. Probably not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OptimusPrimeIV

OptimusPrimeIV Member

Please make a HASLAB Cybertron/Primus to go with Unicron! I would buy that instantly!

• Like Like x 2
  20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    This.