Hasbro discusses future Titan class figures, Combiner Wars, and more

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by optimusfan, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    And G1 fans still complain it's not enough, also Takara referred to 2016 as the "Year of the Masterpiece Beast Wars" So...yeah, not a "whole whopping two".....but rather the "At least two" that I stated.

And at Botcon, I was talking to the Hasbro guys and they asked ME "Which era do you think is under-represented" when I said Beast wars, their tone and body language was certainly not that of "ignored that response".

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Which is ridiculous.

There's been question as to whether that quote was accurate, or what exactly it entails. I'll hold off from reading too much into it for right now.

Nope, it's just two right now. I'm basing my judgment on facts, not hypotheticals.

Well, that's nice and all, but talk, tone and body language is cheap; I'll believe it when I see it. The tone given in this particular interview certainly doesn't make it sound like they're super enthusiastic about BW's anniversary. Of course they wouldn't just flat-out give it away, but the way they talked about it didn't sound reassuring to me. It sounds like they're more interested in focusing on the TFTM anniversary instead.

(Which is what I'd been expecting for a while now, but it's disheartening to hear it somewhat conveyed straight from the horse's mouth.)

3. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Well Hasbro won't announce or hint at anything until they're ready.
    Look how often "This presentation was almost all things we already knew about" is a complaint.....despite "we knew about" being leaks from every source but Hasbro.

Regardless...(And I admit Cheetor Sucks), between Hasbro and Takara We've gotten all the core 5 S1 Maximals replaced with new figures, a new Waspinator, and I definitely planted seeds in the minds of the right people about a new Terrorsaur. The guy who designed last years BW toys works for LEGO now, so they've got to have new engineers working on new figures. regardless, as a BW fan I think i'm sitting darn pretty right now and don't think Hasbro or Takara will stop turning their attention towards it on occasion just because an arbitrary date has passed. But regardless, we're hardly being "Effed over"

4. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Good job! I've done these Hasbro interviews and it's always challenging to strike that balance of focusing on brand, focusing on fans' needs, focusing on the future, and getting answers that have meat but aren't filling the whole interview, especially now that they've implemented the 10 minute clock. Hopefully they're just holding back a few this and thats for SDCC.

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    I don't think Beast Wars gets much love because it doesn't seem to move (at least around my area) as well as Movie, Gen.1, and IDW characters. Generations definitely sell the best, better than movie and RID. I can tell because I keep seeing the same exact toys at the same stores (I'm not talking duplicates, the same exact figure, paint, packaging, and all). Generations go quick. Looking back, it seems that Transmetals and Predacons sell the best while Maximals sat and sat and sat. Since 2006, this is what I've experienced based on how often I saw each figure and how difficult it was to find them:

10th Transmetal Rattrap-Sells
    10th Cheetor-Shelfwarms
    10th Rhinox-Shelfwarms HARD
    10th Dinobot-Shelfwarms
    10th Tarantulas-Sells VERY well
    10th Waspinator-Sells VERY well
    10th new Transmetal-like Optimus Primal-Sells VERY well
    10th new Megatron-Sells VERY well
    10th Optimus Primal & Megatron 2 pack-Sells

Cybertron brown Optimus Primal-Shelfwarms HARD
    Cybertron green Megatron-Shelfwarms

Titanium Optimus Primal-Shelfwarms
    Titanium Megatron-Sells

Robot Heroes-these all seemed to be hard to come by.

Universe Dinobot-Sells
    Universe Cheetor-Shelfwarms HARD

Generations Waspinator-Sells (but also poorly distributed)
    Generations Rattrap-Shelfwarms HARD
    Generations Rhinox-Shelfwarms

Kreon Cheetor-Sells
    Kreon Rhinox-Shelfwarms

Honorable Mention:

Beast Machines Titanium Cheetor, Robot Heroes, and Generations Tankor-Sells VERY well

I thought Tankor and Skybyte would be shelfwarmers around here but they go quick.

Generations Shelfwarmers I see are scout BumbleBee, Scoop, Rattrap, Minicon Combiner (THE WORST), Skywarp, Rhinox, and Whirl (2nd worst shelfwarmer).

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree.

We'll see what BW stuff they give us next year. But I doubt it'll be much. :) 

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm entirely prepared to have only MP Primal as my BW celebration next year. If I'm wrong, then miracles happen. But all facts point towards no BW shit next year aside from that. CW goes into 2016, and Titan Wars is being teased as it's replacement. Not really any room for BW, and the totally wishy-washy response isn't reassuring. I mean, TFW brings up the BW anniv., and almost immediately they answer with TFTM's anniversary. Like shit, they couldn't even keep the answer related to the question.

8. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    If it's one, I'll be happy.

9. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, if next year is all about playset style figures in the "titan wars" line... and if they want Beast Wars in that line...

[​IMG]

10. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    bravo sir!

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What do you expect? Every audience wants everything they want. Every segment of fandom complains they want more than what they've gotten, even if it's already a lot. And there's a much much much larger audience for G1 nostalgia than Beast nostalgia. So...

12. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Okay, let's say you were the sweet spot age for Beast Wars: 8 years old in 1996?

That means your fan/collector is now turning 28. While I do know some 28 year-olds with disposable budgets...it's nothing compared to your 40 year olds collecting G1 style toys. I'd consider Masterpiece Primal a "dip of the toe" to see if the 28-30 year-old segment will show up and say hi with a fist full of dollars like the G1 fans do.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Titans every year....I love the sound of that.

That would be frickin' perfect.

Yeah I don't really like that the Beasties are getting the shaft next year.

5 Star Post. :lolol 

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Except it's not just fans who grew up with BW as their first series that are fans of the show. Plenty of G1 fans like BW, too. You're acting as if there's no overlap between fandoms, when I'd say there's more people who like both than people who only like one or the other.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There aren't. There just aren't. And I say that as one of the people you describe who do like both... And as someone who has gone on record many times with the opinion that Beast Wars is a much better-written show. Clearly.

I mean, maybe the overlap numbers would be true if you were counting only the people on this (and other TF) message board(s). But you're excluding the much larger audience of the general public who have never felt the need to join a TF forum.

G1 isn't just a toyline, a cartoon, and a comic. It was a pop culture phenomenon that reached everyone living on Earth from the 1980s on. Remember when Autobot and Decepticon stickers started showing up on cars you would see driving on the highway or parked at the mall, back in the 1990s? If you ever tried talking to the drivers, you'd find out a lot of them aren't even what we'd call fans. It's a pop culture thing. But when's the last time you saw a Maximal sticker on a car or anything else? I can tell you. Never. For F's sake, you can make those stickers yourself. Yet no one ever has. It's just different.

Beast Wars has never reached the tiniest fraction of public awareness that G1 did. And that is unlikely to change now. Maybe if we get a new series that hits big. But I wouldn't hold my breath, since none of the subsequent vehicle shows have hit very big, either.

But by all means, make your wishes known to Hasbro. As many people have said, if enough people buy what new Beast toys we do get, they will make more.

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And that's my problem. G1's popularity isn't based on it's quality, it's based on the fact that it's 80's, and everything 80's is a big hit just because it's 80's, regardless of quality. And if you weren't born in the 80's, then you ain't worth shit. G1 isn't as popular in the general public as it is recognizable.

I mean, just look at the logic you're using: because we're not the largest audience, we simply don't register at all, regardless of if there's still a significant audience. And it's pitiful. We just want something of substance.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But that's the logic of capitalism. "Recognizable" is money in the bank. "Quality" is a question mark that often performs poorly. And "significant"? lol

WE are not significant.

I don't know how many times I've tried to point this out. We -- all of us put together -- are a fringe audience. Even if you could get every single active member of this board to agree on one thing, we still would not add up to a significant audience. The fact Hasbro aims anything at us at all is a blessing.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sheesh, don't know why they bother doing interviews, certainly wins them no points around here. It's not like they can reveal anything substantial without putting their jobs on the line.

Committing to a new Titan (class) in 2016 isn't small.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I know, but that doesn't make it a good thing. It doesn't mean I have to like it or want it to stay that way.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Voting with our wallets is the only recourse we have. Things are never going to change out of charity or because they feel pity or something. Only money.