Hasbro Confirms new simple toys for AOE!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by fallen_revenge, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I was unaware that the listings had them under "Generations".

2. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I have no problem with simpler transformations, in fact, all other things being equal, I definitely prefer them. LROP was a very simple to transform, yet very awesome toy. In fact, most of G2 was very simple, and the original molds from that line were, for the most part, very good (please keep in mind I’m referring to molds, the color pallet choices are an entirely different matter). So simpler transformations aren’t necessarily a bad thing.

What has me worried is that the last time Hasbro said they were returning to ‘simpler’ we wound up with Armada. Now I understand some people have fond memories of Armada…I don’t. It was inconceivable for me that they could go from the Mach Alert/Prowl mold to the Hot Shot mold. I completely understood trying to get away from the frustration of the Speedbreaker/Sideburn mold, but there’s a happy medium, and JaAm wasn’t it.

So yeah, if by simpler they mean G2-ish (with better modern sculpting and judgment with regards to colors), then great. If they mean Armada-ish or more of the upsized Legends, then…DaAm.

3. Shatterkick

Shatterkick TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah on the huge list of movie figures (including all the simplified lines, cyberverse, PopBots etc.) that was uploaded onto the Hasbro site at the same time as the other Generations figure they're there as MV4 GEN, just after the official press release for the leader figure where Hasbro confirmed it as a Generations figure.

Hasbro Website Updates Part 2: The Age of Extinction is Nigh! (Listings Updated) - Transformers News - TFW2005

I'm guessing the reason it's not listed alongside the Megatron and Jetfire leaders is because the movie figures were just separated out.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    It is UK Toyfair tomorrow hopefully someone will be taking notes.

I'll be curious to see how big OPTIMUS SMASH! actually is.

5. Shatterkick

News Credits:
    I think it's definitely more a case of diversifying and providing more choice. The Movie Generations figures probably won't be on a par with ROTF Leader Optimus as far as complexity goes, but I doubt they'll be much less complex than most other Generations figures, which to be honest tend to be less complex than a lot of the more advanced movie figures simply because a lot of the movie figures' designs dictated an awkward transformation to get anything anywhere near accuracy.

6. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I'm honestly not sure where Hasbro's intentions lie anymore. I mean, it's great that they're indulging younger children and the parents of those children, but are they honestly the key demographic here? That "Smash and Change" Optimus can (according to the packaging) be used by a 5-year-old. And honestly, while not recommended by any means, could probably be played with by an even younger child. But are they seriously the age that the movies are targeted at? What kind of parent would take their 5-year-old to see a Michael Bay PG-13 movie? Very few.

With TF: Prime, I can understand the switch, since I'm sure more younger children are watching it (it being on The Hub and all), but the general audience for the Transformers movies has always been children around 11 or 12 and older. And while those kids may not appreciate RotF Prime levels of complexity, I doubt they would settle for shitty toys like this either.

7. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    I see the sword in the back but where is the shield?Anyway I like him

8. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

The main part of this article that gives me pause is this:
    So yes, Fast Action Battlers did exist in the previous movie lines. And it does seem that the toy pictured is a new version of that line. But I think the above quote has further reaching implcations than just this one sub-line.

But it's ok. I'd kinda like Hasbro to produce a few years worth of toys I don't want to buy. It would give me a chance to breathe a little.

9. msol

msol Well-Known Member

Seriously, the responses on some of the boards has been ridiculous. I had G1 Prime when I was a kid, does anyone really think he was much more complicated than a modern-day Cyberverse? Hell, some of my favorite figures were Afterburner, Guzzle, and Battletrap. Was I a dumb kid with neglectful parents, as many seem to be implying? Jesus Christ, guys, I love the Function-X line now, but I grew into it over years and years.

Again, let's not pretend the figures from our youth were ever as complicated as the mainline stuff we have today. Kids can start basic and grow up with increasing complexity; there's nothing wrong with this new direction.

10. Alterator

Alterator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is just going to be a change to the "main" line, with the Generations line becoming a little more broad-based.

Right now, we have Prime and Generations. Prime has new designs & characters, and a look at appeals a little more to the masses. (Plus a TV show to back it up.) Generations has known characters and are usually based on existing designs, and a slightly more complicated construction that appeals more to older fans.

It sounds like the new "main" line will be simplified toys - like the BH CV upscales. Generations will continue as always, but will now absorb the movies into it; which is fine, since Generations toys can be from any line/era. And the Generations versions of the movie toys will have the intricacy, paint apps, etc. we want.

This is probably what we will get late this year or early next year as well, when the new TV show comes out. We'll get a simplified mainline, with possibly some more show-accurate versions in Generations.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that the movie/TV toys in Generations will be taking spots away from other toys we want. (It has to happen, as Hasbro can't flood stores with too many waves of toys.) It is less likely that we'll get more obscure targetmasters like Scoop for a while. Hope I'm wrong, though :) 

11. Shatterkick

News Credits:
    I have to agree that this particular toy could quite easily be played with by a 2-3 year old, while a 5 year old would enjoy something a little more complex. As for actually seeing the movie, I'm not sure that matters, it's still a toy brand regardless. I used to play with my Transformers figures when I was younger and barely saw any of the cartoons because I wasn't really aware of any regular TV scheduling for them at the time (in fact I was only aware of the cartoon long after I had the toys because I saw a video in the rental shop), so to a kid a toy's a toy.

I know for both my cousins' boys who are both really into dinosaurs right now they'll love a couple of the basic Dinobot figures, but wouldn't appreciate something they'd have to mess about with spending time transforming, and they wouldn't care less if they're characters in a film or not.

12. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:
    Their were toys in the eighties for films like Robocop, Aliens, Predator, and even Teminator. (which had a sex scene in it!)

13. Shatterkick

News Credits:
    Yep you get it :)  Hopefully it would be nice for the collectors to still have that broad choice in the Generations line, otherwise it defeats the purpose of calling it Generations I suppose, but perhaps it'll stop them filling out lines with endless repaints of the same character one on top of the other and actually use the line a bit more efficiently.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Jesus, this is like the new Windblade thread.

15. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Good point.

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Not impressed. But at the same time, this isn't something I'd buy anyways....looks like its for the age group it was designed for....the little ones. Good for them.

And yeah, we'll still have Generations on the shelves, but some of those too are getting cheaper and more simplified. Bad thing is, if the stores order a ton of stuff like this, good luck finding new Generations stuff. As long as these dudes set on the shelves, keeping them warm, they wont order much else.

The line bombed only because Hasbro got lazy with it, and started cutting costs.

I'd say it was a line geared towards more "adult collectors" too...

History repeating itself here?

17. Rev

Rev Well-Known Member

Someone said transformers in the 80's were incredibly complex. They weren't. They were simple.

18. WarConvoy

WarConvoy Earth Defense Command

Ebay:
    it Looks like a KO!

19. Shatterkick

News Credits:
    Yep. Doesn't anyone remember Topspin and Twintwist? ;) 

20. Shatterkick

News Credits:
    Yeah, but of what? :p