Hasbro Concludes Lionsgate Takeover?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 2, 2017.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Yeah, that's the problem. I mean, if they were willing to put the time and effort into it, they could slowly build up something really good, but going off of their attempt at creating their own TV channel, I don't know if they have that patience.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Than what? Bringing Orci and Kurtzman back? Yeah: switching to Geiko is a better idea.

But in all seriousness... they prove to be better Producers than writers or directors.

3. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Del Toro or JJ Abrams.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yeah.
    If they blew their own Network... if they can't even create a decent CW cartoon... then what business do they have with a distributor? Even if it's Lion's Gate?

5. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    What a shame bumblebee won't be around to see it. :lolol 

6. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I knew it another company would buy Lionsgate, but i didn't't expecting it would be Hasbro.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Hasbro couldn't run a TV network - they should NOT be trying to run a full fledged movie studio. I see WHY they want their independence, but they bluntly do not have enough properties that anyone cares about to make a venture of that insane scale work properly. Hell, even Marvel who DO know what they're doing and managed to build a successful studio from the ground up AND be profitable still ultimately sold to Disney.

Just stick to making toys and producing/licensing TV shows & movies, Hasbro.

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    It means Paramount won't spend $220 million on a Transformers movie again until it can prove it can pull its weight in gold again. This isn't a good thing. Every $5-10 million cut from the budget is pretty much one less major Transformer in the film.

This also impacts OTHER Hasbro potential films. If a hypothetical OPERATION board game film featuring a high-tech surgery system being stolen by a group of highly paid actors was being proposed with a $100 million budget, you can pretty much guarantee Paramount is either slashing that by $50 million or balking altogether now.

A Lionsgate acquisition would allow Hasbro unfettered access to the companies credit line. This was probably appealing to Lionsgate when TF5 was set to rake in the dough...but things have changed since then as Hasbro seems to not be quite as attractive as an asset as first thought.

Needless to say, MUCH hinges on the success of Bumblebee. If that film doesn't hit it out of the park, Hasbro's movie plans are pretty much dead in the water. In the end, it's probably funny that a film meant to merely enhance funding for future films and sell a few extra toys is now THE film Hollywood will be watching the most intently.

9. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It would be a lot better if Hasbro would just shut up and start giving us a good video game series. You can see how popular Activision, Naughty Dog, Bungie etc. has gotten with COD, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Halo etc. They could be doing something like that for Transformers and actually start appealling to Console game owners. it would help them in the long run if they don't slack off on the gameplay and story. Its been almost six years since we got a decent TF game from them and yet because tlk flopped they keep pretending like they're out of options of what to do for the brands future.

10. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    That would've been neat. Could have made future things easier too.

11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I still want Disney to buy Hasbro, so "Yay"?

12. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    No.

Hasbro has potential to develop into a new media company of their own over time. While disney as an outlet would provide ample cameo room for their properties, it's also so crowded in rights that it'd take a bit before anything real could take shape.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yup, same here.

14. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Off topic but how much does it really cost to render, color, and animate a cgi character. I mean look at ninja turtles, the main characters are all cgi basically.

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not sure if serious or...

16. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Hate the idea of Disney buying Hasbro. I can think of no faster way to dilute all the properties we care about. Do you really think Disney would invest much time in the Hasbro Universe properties when they have Star Wars, Marvel and legacy Disney in their stable already? We would see a whole lot less Transformers and Joe promotion and would be the death of MASK, ROM, Micronauts and the other minor lines we are seeing new effort put into.

This isn't the best time to be buying a movie studio anyway. The market is all over the place with theatre traffic down and more people preferring to wait to watch at home on video. I think there is a lot of risk in the movie business right now.

17. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Jason Scott aka Red Ranger: Sorry Bumblebee!

18. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's been a while since I've seen a proposed acquisition where an inferior entertainment company acquires a superior one.

Hasbro has dropped the ball on all of its recent Transformers entertainment properties.

Video games are poor; Transformers Prime choked on its own lack of narrative conviction; the Machinama series was tepid; the movies have finally been found out.

I don't see what Lionsgate have to gain from this except money and better merchandising opportunities.

19. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Perhaps but right now Disney are at least trying to make entertainment people will want to consume in 10 years time; I see no evidence of this from Hasbro.

20. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    That's disappointing since having their own studio, Hasbro would have no choice but to make quality projects.

I mean provided they've seen how that last Bayfrormer film's box office suffered or learned from that Failed Hubb Network.