Hasbro Comments On Transformers Franchise At The 28th Annual Goldman Sachs Communacopia Conference

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What was really said:

"We have seen that with movie launches, we can drive more sales of related products and get more premium placement in retailers. Now that the United States is no longer the biggest box office draw, we will be focusing on growth in foreign markets. Maximizing stock market performance is paramount to anything regarding quality of product. We can continue to cheapen our toys to the point that a knockoff at Dollar Tree starts to look like a premium product in comparison. People will still buy our IP because we own the logos and likenesses of the characters people want. Charging $9 for the exact same Star Wars figure we used to sell for $5 because we put it in a little tube with a link to a webpage proves that we are awesome."

Hasbro is a toy company. Making quality toys at a good price should be the priority, not maximizing stock gains for shareholders. But since Hasbro is a public company, we get what we get. I've never been a fan of Goldner since he took over.

Goldner made over $8 million in 2018 and over $6 million of it was from stock and stock options. This year he has sold shares worth over $32 million. His immense salary of $1.5 million pales to the amount of compensation he gets from selling shares of Hasbro. Sorry, but the guy isn't worth that when the majority of toys that have come from Hasbro under his tenure have been absolute trash. The toys that are decent are massively overpriced. Nothing can excuse the abomination of that $30 Han Solo Force Link Millennium Falcon. But since he has come on board, Hasbro stock has tripled and is currently at an all time high. To the executives, that is all that matters. Making quality merchandise takes a huge backseat. The toys won't get better until the bottom line takes a huge hit. I really miss Allen Hassenfeld. He seemed to care a lot more about making good toys than pumping up the stock price of the company.

2. Superhans

Superhans Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What an obscure reference :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  3. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    The problem might be that Hasbro hasn't really been a toy company in a long time. Pursuant to its own bio:

"Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play and Entertainment Experiences. From toys and games to television, movies, digital gaming and consumer products, Hasbro offers a variety of ways for audiences to experience its iconic brands, including NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, BABY ALIVE, MAGIC: THE GATHERING and POWER RANGERS, as well as premier partner brands..."

Not a "toy company", "manufacturer", or anything else. It's focused on branding and licensing and the development of the same. The toys and products are almost an afterthought. Small wonder, as they tend to contract out the development of products elsewhere.

Hasbro's absolute duty is to its shareholders. It ostensibly does this by slapping it's brands/licenses on quality products. Quality products and maximizing shareholder benefit when dealing with a licensing or branding company are generally, although admittedly not always, concurrent goals.

Want a toy company? Look at Takara Tomy, not Hasbro.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    It's all about shareholders... of course.

5. Superhans

News Credits:
    Obviously. There’s a lot more money to be made in being a cross platform media company than a manufacturer of products.

6. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Pardon, because I'm VERY exhausted, but are you agreeing with me or trying to point out that I'm stating the obvious?:confused: 

Or something else. Forgive me. I'm on zero sleep today and chugging more caffeine than is honestly healthy.

'Cause I was more or less starting a dialogue with @ar78 , who characterized Hasbro as a toy company. My counterpoint was that it's not really one anymore. At least, not in great part.

7. Superhans

News Credits:
    Can it be both? I agree with you, but I also think it’s both inevitable and not a bad thing. I prefer things that are story driven, and unlike others I think Hasbro’s output is generally pretty good.

In general, Hasbro taking closer control over its IP and storytelling is a positive thing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    That is how public companies work, you are correct.

9. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Uh. Okay. I have no idea what you're talking about now. I don't know about or have any comments about any of the things you're discussing. Don't right care what it decides to do with it's IP/branding/licensing/whatever on a macro level. My point was simple - someone called Hasbro a toy company. Hasbro hasn't really been a toy company in a while. Full stop. The end.

I mean, it's cool that you wanna talk about the other things, but they're largely irrelevant to my comment.

10. Mudslide

Mudslide Grieving Son

People like my jerk boss, who calls the janitor, 'porter'.

11. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Super helpful. And I'm being genuine here.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

So, Hasbro doesn't make toys anymore?

13. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    It does - largely initial design work IIRC which eventually gets worked over by engineers. Actual engineering/manufacturer (i.e. arguably the majority of what makes a good toy) isn't its main focus and a good chunk of whatever they sell is really produced by Takara. Hasbro's a multimedia marketing/licensing/branding company. The toys and other products are merely delivery systems for those brands and actually secondary at best. Actual "toy companies" - dedicated designers/engineers/manufacturers - have a vested interest in making great products. This we agree on. Hasbro itself doesn't care - all they honestly care about is the "packaging" (i.e. the licensing/branding/whatevering) and whether you buy the thing it's wrapped its packaging around, notwithstanding that thing's quality.

In other words, Hasbro is a nostalgia company - they're either selling you the nostalgia, or trying to manufacture it so that little Billy remembers who Optimus Prime is 20 years from now. They don't give a fig if Billy remembers how great or terrible any individual toy that he bought happened to be. Case in point - many G1 figures were absolute garbage. However, we still know who the Battlechargers are and who Goldbug is despite having some of the shittiest toys in the line.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Well that's certainly true of Transformers, but to be fair Hasbro still is the only "toy company" behind most of it's other brands. And I think their interest in making great products shows with those brands, because the quality is generally there (mostly) for stuff like a Marvel or Star Wars.

I also like to think that since brand unification that the situation with Transformers is starting to change a little, too, and that maybe Hasbro is starting to see the merits of putting a little bit of actual quality back into the brand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

The look of someone who has never played Magic in his life. I’m barely a Magic fan myself, but geez that looks stilted.

16. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The same people who say monetize.

17. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Yay, corporate speak. Lots of words, placed in a row....it must take a while to learn how to sound like you are actually saying something.

18. neomoz

neomoz Well-Known Member

The biggest risk for the franchise is depending on movies to keep the brand alive. Each subsequent movie keeps grossing less than the last. We are close to the point where studios won't drop 150-200m budget on making a tf movie.

From what I can see, they recognise this and looks like they acknowledge they need to be more engaged in producing content and not just relying on the movies.

This is where the recent entertainment one purchase comes in, a strong media production house to produce content for their brands in-house.

• Like Like x 1
  19. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    This thing reads like somebody was just pushing the random auto-suggest words on their phone

20. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Are they trained to talk like this or do they independently do it because they think it sounds smarter?