Hasbro Comments On Transformers Franchise At The 28th Annual Goldman Sachs Communacopia Conference

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 18, 2019.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

Tldr... \'if you take the time to give a shit and coordinate good content and products people will pay for them\'

also, the sky was blue today!

• Like Like x 8
  3. cybertronbeast

cybertronbeast Well-Known Member

Okay, that's a lot of business talk... but I don't feel that anything was really said.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In related news, "CEO-speak" is now being considered for registration as an official language distinct from English.

• Like Like x 12
  5. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    This is my attempt at translating Goldner's corporate speak:

"With the Transformers IP, the money is definitely in the movies. However, to max out our return, we have to also consider our ancillary facets as well and time everything with parties in other countries who may want a big tentpole movie to advertise, and Bumblebee was produced with that in mind. Both Bumblebee and the previous films presented lessons to learn in that field, and we've taken those lessons to heart to ensure that the fans still wanna be associated with the franchise and that the franchise will still be financially feasible 20-30 years down the line."

• Like Like x 6
  6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

But you repeat yourself. . .

That was seriously painful to read. I get that he's speaking to big business movers, but surely even they prefer to hear real talk, wouldn't they? This looks like it was generated by a business speak meme generator.

• Like Like x 9
  7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "We've found a way to milk wallets as much as possible for the foreseeable future. We were okay at it, before, but now we know to lube up the teets before yankin' them to get the max. So, here's the balm. Get tweakin'."

• Like Like x 1
  8. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    WOW. i mean, i dwell in the realm of BS-marketing double-speak on a daily basis, and that made even my head spin.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

That's about right. You left out the part where he kind of admitted they were boneheads and undervalued their IP with Paramount but that's not sonething they'd ever admit to plainly and without doublespeak so spot on translation. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  10. B u m b l e b e e

B u m b l e b e e Bumblebee

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Brian Goldner:

Me:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

TLDR, wanna make TF movies? Since now you ain't gonna fart without Hasbro's approval.

• Like Like x 1
  12. crazyfist1979

crazyfist1979 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As April O'Neil said to Chief Sterns in the 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie... 'Hmm... I'm not sure I understood all that. Would you mind repeating that... in English perhaps...'

• Like Like x 2
  13. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

Who the hell says “calendarize”?

• Like Like x 3
  14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    That's close. but I'll break it down further:

Mr. Goldner: “Yes. When you talk about Transformers obviously the economics there is in the film business. This means their best sales comes from movie tie ins. But overall, if you just look at the concept of being able to get the franchise economics for your stakeholders Explain to the shareholders of the company that sales will dip in non-movie years and peak in movie years and also being able to calendarize increasingly to lineup with your global retailers Arrange to move product with different countries' retailers in accordance to their movie release time frame ; who are also looking through their entertainment councils for best in class entertainment [I'm assuming this is about China having a government sponsored entertainment committee?] that helps to inform more of their omni-channel efforts, more departments at retail, how many departments can we inform and bring to life by our property and we saw that with Bumblebee [movie] We are globally expanding the brand beyond just toys for movie tie-ins and we did that with Bumblebee.

When we co-developed and co-produced that film, we were able to pick a window that we thought was quite good with our partners at Paramount.
    Self explanatory. We were able to activate many, many categories. Some in toys, many through licensed products, and then of course in gaming as well; as we have those assets. Hasbro was able to push their own expanded line-up of product that didn't rely on second party licensing [such as the Transformers card game, etc.]

So, as we go forward we see the opportunity to own more the franchise economics because the first deal we did, that took us nearly five years to create back in the early 2000, was the Transformers deal.Hasbro wants to continue having more control of their Transformers franchise by doing extensively more first-party products to support their movies, including being heavily involved in the movie production.

We have learned something over the last 12 years about what the value is of our IP.The past 12 years taught us that we need to do more first-party product. Our shareholders should benefit from that. Obviously bringing on these capabilities in TV and film, I think it’s something people are now understanding of how that helps to accelerate these efforts, to monetize these efforts, and then to bring them across the blueprint. Shareholders now understand the benefit of using Hasbro-invested TV and movies even more going forward to push our product. Increasingly going after that fan-economy and activating for brand-relevance and resilience. We're going to spam the hell out of G1 Optimus Prime, Movie Bumblebee, Windblade, Evergreen Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave going forward.

• Like Like x 14
  15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Eye-Goon > Perceptor

News Credits:
    I'll just leave this here...

(No, it's not real.)

• Like Like x 5
  16. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Spot in translation. However what I got from that last part about the fan economy is that they’ll continue to spam G1 for awhile longer. That’s what I fully expect and I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t continue happening. I’m actually waiting for the day when even the hardcore G1 fans grow tired of the same G1 designs being released again and again and again. Of course, since G1 continues to be the face of Generations, even after 7 years, I can’t see that happening in the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 4
  17. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Perfectly done. That's exactly what it was.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

I like how the last bit JUST BARELY mentions fans! :lolol 

Hasbro, let go. It's okay to acknowledge the large fan base that lines your pockets. Your investors WANT to know you have loyal customers. You are not breaking any code of conduct by mentioning your TF fans. I realize you hate to admit that there's a core ADULT audience that buys your product (for themselves! :eek: ), but this is the year 2019, and the term "Collector" is a thing now.

Also, I'm not sure how much "learning" was happening when they used the same director and same-movie-plot-contrivances for about 6 different movies over the last decade. LEARNING is when you hire someone new for Bumblebee - if anything, I'd say it took over 10 years to LEARN that it's good to try new things and let hack directors make explosions elsewhere. :rolleyes2 

Don't ruin the joke by telling people it's fake! :lol  #ArtofSubtlety

• Like Like x 2
  19. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    In their defense, the first four movies made money hand over fist for both Hasbro and Paramount - so it's understandable that the learning curve was a bit lengthy. The shareholders see green and say "Let's do that again!", possibly even forcing Hasbro's hand in spite of if they wanted to change things up. Sounds like the shareholders are now on board.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    All I got out of this was:

Movie tie-ins = money

• Like Like x 1