Hasbro Australia MP Star Saber's translated bio to be IDW based?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Feb 3, 2015.

1. draconious380

draconious380 Well-Known Member

How many toy bio's have been changed or flat out ignored in the various cartoons and movies over the years? How many conflicting bios have existed between Hasbro and Takara (example Airrazor being male in Japan, now I'm imagining the vitriol an MP Airazor's bio would cause lol). I mean is it really worth getting worked up over?

NOTE This is a rhetorical thought that I just want people to consider, I'm out of the thread after this and going back to the 3P boards.

2. FigureGunplaFan

FigureGunplaFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Masterpiece figure of a G1 Victory toy with a bio of a hideous fascist? hmm...

3. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    well if we factor in the expanded MTMTE readership which now includes a fair number of non-transformers fans...no. You can probably bet a decent number of people only know Saber as the IDW version.

4. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Suddenly!?

5. NemesisAngel

NemesisAngel Well-Known Member

Dark star saber? Love it, even though I like victory more.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, I do get why it's a bummer to some people. However, in the end, it's a super unimportant detail that shouldn't ruin anyone's enjoyment of the product.

I think it's cool Transformers come with bios, but I often skip them entirely as most are, again, extremely bland or inaccurate nowadays. And a lot of toys get repurposed (examples: Fall of Cybertron toys in IDW comics, IDW Jhiaxus' toy using a G2 bio), so there's always the chance of a bio covering the 'wrong' character.

Sorry - without trying to sound condescending, but fully aware that I will - I think people who get more than just mildly annoyed with this should take a step back, take a breather and re-evaluate. I know what it's like to have periods of 'obsession' with the brand, and in the past I have flipped out over unimportant details myself, but I feel this is where a lot of the rage/discussion is often coming from: losing sight of what's important and what isn't.

Although I don't know too much about the character (yes, most of my knowledge of him has come after his IDW portrayal :lol  ), I think what should matter is:
    This dude is getting a release. A Masterpiece release. He's huge. Has ALL of his modes. Looks perfectly accurate to his G1 appearance. Is affordable, unless you live in Australia.

All of this is simply amazing, and the fact Takara or Hasbro is slipping in an extra sheet of paper with a different English bio is just as unimportant (to me) as Hasbro going with a different name for a G1 figure because they lost an old trademark. :eek: 

sidenote: let me clarify that I DO agree with you the best course of action would have been the same bio as the Japanese one, and the IDW bio as additional content, 'History of Star Saber'. But again, that's not what happened, so be it. :) 

7. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

I'm betting most people that complain about the bio wouldn't read it, even if it had the Victory personality on there.

8. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am so confused by everything about this.

9. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

Very cool idea, and a complete non-controversy.

10. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    i could care less about the bio. just give me the damn toy! paying $180 or whatever is much better than paying $500 for a g1 .... until i win the lotto ....

11. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    only a bio not worth losing sleep over

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Okay then. Superman who can "leap tall buildings in a single bound" is the original, the flying version is the obscure offshoot.

The original, true version of the Hulk is gray, and Bruce Banner turns into him at night. The green rage monster is an aberration.

Etc.

13. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I don't like it, but it makes total sense from Hasbro's pov. Not bothered by it and don't understand the rage.

14. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

I don't understand it either. The majority of these people raging are in the US, who aren't even getting this.

15. Speedjolt

Speedjolt Omnicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like it. It makes for a unique character, not just another hero archetype. He and Bludgeon should talk over Cybertronian coffee equivalent.

16. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    I think it's funny because we will totally hear rumors like „Did you know Star Saber's bio describes his IDW-incarnation? I can read Japanese and I know it!“ in a few years.

It isn’t bothering me at all, the Japanese manual still says what counts and in the end it's about the figure, and he's unmistakably G1.

But I'm not sure if it's the right decision to write this. In my opinion, just a translated bio with a new foreword-text which tells a little bit about the Japanese continuity and the shows would be best.

17. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

Aww, such a shame that the dude apparently doesn't dig or know much about Star Saber. I'm fine with going for the IDW version for the English market, but the whole "clone of Optimus" thing is kinda sad.

It also doesn't help that IDW's Star Saber is as of this moment, kind of bland in comparison. He's got an interesting set of traits, but hasn't been in many stories. All we've seen is that he's a Tyrest lackey/fanatic who's also kind of a dick.

While the Victory Star Saber, say what you will about his character archtype, he's been involved with so many episodes/stories that a detailed bio would have plenty of ground to follow.

18. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Yeah no big deal, just a bio. Still love Star Saber, still going to ignore his IDW incarnation :) 

Though it would have been nice to have a proper translation for the guy, I'm sure it'll be online someplace.

19. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't know this one was going to the States or any other English speaking country for that matter, as G1 Star Saber didn't happen. That said, it does seem odd that the person translating his bio felt it necessary to give him one that isn't true to G1--he isn't IDW Star Saber.

Masterpiece Transformers of late are Generation one...

20. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

@Starscream Gaga and Keldroc

The issue here is about respect. Respect for the character and respect for history. Not about whether one can simply ignore the bio, or whether the release is small-run, or whether it becomes a deal-breaker to buying the toy.

This decision indicates that somewhere, someone in a position to make things happen with this release has chosen to ignore the character and its origins in order to pander to another demographic. Yes - I used "pander". Why have I done so? Because the measured and respectful approach would have been to do a direct translation and include the IDW bio to cater to those who don't know the character pre-IDW. When you only run the latter ... hmm. It doesn't bode well to me that a supposed custodian of the property chooses to present only one (recent) part of the history of a character and in what is ostensibly its "ultimate toy representation".

By the way, since we're on the issue of "respect", I am quite rational and in control over this, and trying hard to conduct myself in a polite manner. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not even saying "Victory or bust, IDW can suck a bag of dicks". But I get the impression that there's a lot of the reverse going around.

Well, a respect for and of history is pretty important to me.

These are all indeed important. And to be celebrated. But, it's not the issue in question here.

The difference being that I don't think Hasbro is disrespecting history if it has to use a new name because there are legalities in the way of using the old.

That's self-evident ... of course it is what it is. I'm just expressing my unhappiness and disappointment with the decision and trying to explain why, that's all.

I think I've said what I have to say and I'll leave it at this. I've ordered a TT SS so and I could well just not give 2 hoots, as some have suggested I do. It just galls me to witness this - you guessed it - lack of respect from people who really should know better.